X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Bike?

Does any one know how you go about claiming an abandand vehicle
    (motorcycle) About eight months ago someone dumped a Kawasaki 500
    out side a friend of mines garage, No one picked it up so he put it in his garage to stop the scroats getting at it, Took a note of the lience no
    to the police stn and after a few weeks went back and was told there was
    no record of this bike at all stolen or otherwise, And he could do what he wanted with it, They were not interested, It's been there ever since and now he wants rid and offered it to me if i can pick it up which i'm doing monday,
    It's intact apart from missing timeing cover and gear shift and he thinks the
    clutch is seized, My last motorbike was a 59 Triumph T110 so i know sod all
    about Kawasaki's, For the moment though i just want to know to go about claiming it, Haven't seen it yet so it might go straight down the tip, Would
    like to get it up together and leagal though, I'll post a pic when i get it,
    Ian
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by ian619
    out side a friend of mines garage, No one picked it up so he put it in his garage to stop the scroats getting at it, Took a note of the lience no
    no record of this bike at all stolen or otherwise, And he could do what he wanted with it, They were not interested, It's been there ever since and now he wants rid and offered it to me if i can pick it up which i'm doing monday,
    about Kawasaki's, For the moment though i just want to know to go about claiming it, Haven't seen it yet so it might go straight down the tip, Would
    Ian

You will need to register it with the DVLA. Go on there website, get the relevent phone number and give them a call. Once you have the logbook, all systems will be go.

Comment

Ian
      Apply to DVLA for the documents as the new keeper.... then its yours.
      Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

This is the site I use for work when checking vehicles :http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Yep, very usufull

Have a look and if the reg is still valid (should just show as unliscenced) then I think you can get the form from any main post office.

Any idea what sort of Kawa it is? a GT500 perhaps?

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys, If it looks repairable ill get on to the dvla,
            hi dave, afraid i havn't a clue what model it is, Like i say it been a long tome since i had a bike, maybe you'll be able to tell me from the pics,
            Cant wait to get it now, Cheers All, Ian

Comment

Had a BSA C15 and a B40. Watch the oriental bikes. They accellerate at 5 x the rate of the old Brits.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                Had a BSA C15 and a B40. Watch the oriental bikes. They accellerate at 5 x the rate of the old Brits.
                Oh brings back memories! my first bike (passed my test on it ) was a BSA
                C11g 250cc, Wish i had that and the T110 now worth quite a bit i would
                think, Dont know if i'll be riding this if i get it fixed, Probably scare the
                pooh out of me, Pity it not a harley that was dumped always fancied one,
                No speed but looking cool (like the surf), Ian

Comment

My last motorbike was a 59 Triumph T110 so i know sod all
                  about Kawasaki's,
                  Got a pic yet?
                  Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
                    Got a pic yet?
                    No pete havn't got the bike yet, My son outlaw's picking it up monday evening
                    for me, Willposta few as soon as i can though,

Comment

Pics

Hi, Well got the bike home last night and sorry i couldn't get decent shots of the other side, Took em today and cant move it on my own, So! I'm told by
                      the chap that had it in is garage that its a 650cc not 500 as he previously
                      thougt, Must admit its in better condiction than i expected, Hooked a booster
                      battery to it and most of the lighting works but nowt on the key, Yes its even
                      got an ign key! Green neutral lights was on indicating its in neutral but it takes two bods to push it, Stiff as hell!, Its on a Y plate (old Y) so guess its
                      about 20 year old? Only visible things missing are gear shift and chain cover,
                      If any one knows what model it is i might be able to get a Haynes manual for it What do you think? siezed clutch or engine, Prob wont know for sure untill
                      i've got it stripped, Gonna take the chain off so i can move it for now, Its gonna have to take a back burner as i've enough on my plate with the surf at
                      present, Its got four cylinders, Four carbs, Two wheels hehe and a puncture,
                      Any advice would be appreciated, Ian

Comment

Hi, Well got the bike home last night and sorry i couldn't get decent shots of the other side, Took em today and cant move it on my own, So! I'm told by
                        the chap that had it in is garage that its a 650cc not 500 as he previously
                        thougt, Must admit its in better condiction than i expected, Hooked a booster
                        battery to it and most of the lighting works but nowt on the key, Yes its even
                        got an ign key! Green neutral lights was on indicating its in neutral but it takes two bods to push it, Stiff as hell!, Its on a Y plate (old Y) so guess its
                        about 20 year old? Only visible things missing are gear shift and chain cover,
                        If any one knows what model it is i might be able to get a Haynes manual for it What do you think? siezed clutch or engine, Prob wont know for sure untill
                        i've got it stripped, Gonna take the chain off so i can move it for now, Its gonna have to take a back burner as i've enough on my plate with the surf at
                        present, Its got four cylinders, Four carbs, Two wheels hehe and a puncture,
                        Any advice would be appreciated, Ian
                        Nice find mate. It looks like a GPZ550

http://www.afegraphics.com/82gpz550red.htm

Hope that helps.

Even better check this site out.

http://www.gpz550.com/gpz550/index.htm
                        Last edited by Dave_bax; 17 January 2006, 20:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_bax
                          Nice find mate. It looks like a GPZ550

http://www.afegraphics.com/82gpz550red.htm

Hope that helps.

Even better check this site out.

http://www.gpz550.com/gpz550/index.htm
                          It's an early Unitrak (i.e. monoshock) GPZ550. The swinging arm is non-standard - check it has been fitted properly without mullering the bearings.

You should find most info you need on the site link from Dave_bax

GOod luck!
                          Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

(motorcycle)
                            I've done this a few times. If you have a reg number & can find the chassis number (normally on the headstock) and engine number (l/h side of the engine) you can fill the a request for a logbook and pay the DVLA £25 for the pleasure of sending you one. They are supposed to contact the last registered keeper but dont normally. If you get the log book back dont forget to declair SORN or the B******S will send you a £80 fine!

If the reg number is not valid you have to go to the local DVLA office and register it as a new vehicle, the DVLA will then check and if the vehicle shows up its stolen (or was) the police will want to look to confirm it is 1 bike.

The last vehicle I got like this was a Honda superdream 250 (aaaaagh no!) it turned out the police "forgot" to remove it from the register once it was found. they ended up collecting it had it 2 weeks and returned it a "clean" the DVLA then issued a log book.

As to what the bike is i don't have a clue! I'm a suzuki man myself!

hope it all goes well, my bikes my favourite transport.......... after my surf!
                            Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Looks OK.

Take a look round the barrels (the side of the finned section) On the side just above the crankcase is the barrel stamp, which is the exact no of CC's eg if it is a GPz550 it will probably say 549 or something

Then go to the DVLA website and put in the reg and see what that tells you about the bike - someone posted a link further up.

If it is stiff to push thats almost certainly rust between the caliper pistons and the pads forcing the brakes on - Go to the outside of the caliper, hold a piece of softwood over it and give it a MODERATE malleting (hitting in towards the wheel) and then rock it backwards and forwards. that should make it easier to move about the garage.

If you thing you will not be working on it for a while there are a few little jobs you can do now to make life easier.

Put a little penetrating oil on the caliper bolts and anything else you can think of that is likely to want to come out.

Take out the spark plugs, put a teaspoon or so (not more) of two stroke oil down each bore. turn it over a couple of times and put the plugs back.

Drain the float bowls on the carbs and re-fill.

They are easy beasts to work on and plenty of fun

Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                              X