Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland?

Hi.
    Does anyone know of any Surf days in Scotland? it would be good to catch up with fellow surfers.
    I'm tryin to find sites to visit and test my Surf.
    Would anyone be interested in a day/weekend up here?

Found these sites. check them out and see what you recon.

http://www.newtonhillatv.co.uk/main.htm
    Think the 'Pass' is supposed to be good. Below link for pictures.
    http://www.sorc.org.uk/sorc/outings/jpcorrie/page1.htm

Or try

http://www.nor-trak.com/

I'll keep on hunting. You can let me know what you think.

Any other sites anyone knows about in Scotland so i can check them out???
    Cheers.
    www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Does anyone know of any Surf days in Scotland? it would be good to catch up with fellow surfers.
    I'm tryin to find sites to visit and test my Surf. (QUOTE)

Hi,
    I am afraid there dont seem to be any known Surf days as you call's em !
    There are plenty of offroad sites with access to known groups ( they usually need "guarantees" regarding behavior thats why you'll find these are organised groups ) You have hit upon at least one such group, sorc, but there are others...Most have a variety of vehicles, and from my experience Toyota's in general and surf's in particular are fairly uncommon...I go to a local quarry for a bit of offroading but it is private as it forms the basis for a operational company...There are sites all over Scotland, not many, but all over....Have you been to the Argyle Forest Challenge, or the extreme offroading contests held over your way....I am in north ayrshire for winter, and n west sutherland in the summer...... ps the generally agreed best all round site is at Drumclog, it's big but it is a days drive for you and you would need to join a group to gain access AFAIK.

Peter
    Last edited by Uplander; 11 January 2006, 21:19. Reason: new data

Comment

I keep meaning to try nortrak, as its in my neck of the woods
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by Uplander
        I'm tryin to find sites to visit and test my Surf. (QUOTE)

Hi,
        I am afraid there dont seem to be any known Surf days as you call's em !
        There are plenty of offroad sites with access to known groups ( they usually need "guarantees" regarding behavior thats why you'll find these are organised groups ) You have hit upon at least one such group, sorc, but there are others...Most have a variety of vehicles, and from my experience Toyota's in general and surf's in particular are fairly uncommon...I go to a local quarry for a bit of offroading but it is private as it forms the basis for a operational company...There are sites all over Scotland, not many, but all over....Have you been to the Argyle Forest Challenge, or the extreme offroading contests held over your way....I am in north ayrshire for winter, and n west sutherland in the summer...... ps the generally agreed best all round site is at Drumclog, it's big but it is a days drive for you and you would need to join a group to gain access AFAIK.

Peter
        I've heard of the drive that the forestry enterprise do over here. think its in august. it was in Dunoon where i stay 2 years ago but think it moves about argyll every year. it's mostly forestry road with off road sections(optional).

Theres a 'West of Scotland off Road Club'
        http://www.scotwest.org.uk/ but the website doesn't have any contact details apart from an e mail that i never get a reply from! and does not seem to get updated very much.
        THe hunt continues.
        Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
          I keep meaning to try nortrak, as its in my neck of the woods
          yeah,
          checked out that website. looks good. i sometimes visit Stonehaven was up the other year. so if i'm up that way i'll be payin them a visit this year. thats for sure.

Comment

hows it going smithcroft.

i,ve been to a few days out with scotwest club. as you say there website leaves a lot to be desired.

i am going to join the club once i find out when the next meeting is. they are a good friendly bunch of guys. i was the only toyota there the last few times, but it held its own amongst the defenders and discos.

when i find out where it is i,ll post and let you know.

its about time that we had a scotish meet anyway, i tryed to get one up and running last year but it didnt come to anything.

cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by scotty

i,ve been to a few days out with scotwest club. as you say there website leaves a lot to be desired.

i am going to join the club once i find out when the next meeting is. they are a good friendly bunch of guys. i was the only toyota there the last few times, but it held its own amongst the defenders and discos.

its about time that we had a scotish meet anyway, i tryed to get one up and running last year but it didnt come to anything.

cheers scotty
              Nice one scotty.
              See Scotwest had a day in Helensburgh which is close to me. I'll keep you posted as well.
              Maybe organise somethin at Nor-trak or Newton hill or just anywhere!. theres a few that might be interested from the north of england to. so the more the better. i think i'll go check the two sites out anyway( purely for research purposes and not for the sake of my own enjoyment you understand.........NOT!!).

Keep on Surfin'
              Last edited by smiffy; 12 January 2006, 21:01.

Comment

give us a shout on here if you goto nortrak on one of their Sunday opendays
                RSA surfer is keen too,

problem is, if there is snow around, I will be up at ski centres or ski mountaineering
                but not that snowy at moment...
                Landcruiser Colorado
                Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                  give us a shout on here if you goto nortrak on one of their Sunday opendays
                  RSA surfer is keen too,

problem is, if there is snow around, I will be up at ski centres or ski mountaineering
                  but not that snowy at moment...
                  No probs.
                  I'll keep you posted and maybe we can all take our Surf's to Nor-trak. Could well be the first Scottish Surf day

Not had mine off road yet so can't wait.

Keep in touch....

Cheers.
                  Last edited by smiffy; 15 January 2006, 17:17.

Comment

Scotty

Originally posted by scotty

cheers scotty
                    Alright Scotty.

Managed to get in touch with Scotwest. Will be in touch with details

Comment

hows it going smithsurf

this is a email that i got from one of the guys in the club. the guy is a machanic and does work on my surf, he has a bobtailed rangie and his mate also has a rangie. his brother has a well moddied disco and they are mental in them, but good guys and dont push us guys with shinny motors and need them for work into anything you dont want to do.

let me know if you are interested,. and i will arrange to meet up

cheers and all the best scotty

Newsletter 27th Dec. 2005

Seasons Greetings to you all from the Club Committee and may your Festive Spirit last until next Christmas. We have booked and confirmed the following venues for 2006 and the list is complete until the end of March. Further venues and dates will be added soon and you will all be informed as soon as I have the details. The Club AGM will be held on the 29th March and we must have a better turnout than last years’ where the committee members outnumbered the club members who attended. After the reigning committee stand down at the next AGM Colin MacNee will not be available for re-election as Chairman but may accept vice-chairman post, and Andrew Prentice will not be available for re-election to position of Membership Secretary but may accept a committee member post. It is therefore in your own best interest to seriously consider if you have anything to offer the Club in an organizational sense and commit some time and effort to the running of the Club even if it is only for a year or two. The procedure for Nomination of Candidates for election to the Club Committee can be found in paragraph 6 of page 1 in the Members Handbook Edition #2.

Please give this some serious thought, the future of the Club may depend on it.

Driving Day Jan. 8th – Carronbridge, by Stirling

The venue is near Cambusbarron, Stirling. It is an old, narrow limestone quarry, which runs up the valley of the Bannock Burn. The site is not big, about 60 acres, and is classed as difficult with a lot of technical driving possibilities due to the quarrying. Meet at Moto (formerly Granada) Services at Junction 9 on the M80/M9 motorways near Stirling by 0930hrs. Mud tyres essential.

Entry fee is £15.00 per vehicle.

RTV Shandon – Jan. 22nd

This is our tentative return to this venue following unpleasant incidents where person or persons unknown stole items from the owner of the site – we are being allowed to return providing that we provide policing for the parking area. This means that committee members have to take time out of their day to provide this cover because of the selfish acts of others.

Meet at Helensburgh sea front car park for 0930hrs prompt.

Entry fee is £15.00 per competitor.

Glentarkie – Driving Day Feb 12th

Glentarkie is a commercial site in Fife where we have had many outings in the past. The meeting place for this outing is at Kinross service area at Junction 6 on the M90 from the Forth Road Bridge, and where it intersects with the A977, the time for the meeting is 0930hrs. I know it’s a long drive for most of you but make the effort please because it’s a very varied site and if you get to the services early enough there is a café cum burger bar if you haven’t had time to make breakfast. From here we will leave for the site, which is local to Strathmiglo. Cost is £15.00 per vehicle

RTV Gleddoch – March 5th

Meet on the road from Langbank Roundabout for 0930hrs prompt. We will proceed from here directly to the site. Do not meet at Gleddoch House Hotel car park until further notice.

Drumclog – Driving Day March 26th

Meet at the quarry for 0930hrs.

AGM – March 29th

Venue to be determined

Lochgilphead – April 15th & 16th

Contact Ian Hamilton for details of this Easter weekend outing ianon16@tiscali.co.uk

RTV April 30th – Dunblane, by Stirling

A new RTV venue near Stirling. Meet at Moto (formerly Granada) Services at Junction 9 on the M80/M9 motorways near Stirling by 0930hrs.

Entry fee is £15.00 per vehicle.

It is with regret that I have to announce the death of Jan Dick. Jan was a long-standing member of the club and was a genuine person who will be sadly missed by those who knew him. Our thoughts are with his wife Anne and their family.

Regards,

AndyP

Comment

Excellent.

At least we'll know where they'll be if we wanna find them!!

I have a copy of the membership form i can e mail you if you ever need/want it and Andy Pretice's e mail.

We'll need to arange to meet at one of the outings. The more Surfs the better.
                        Only had the Surf a month so don't want to wreck it

Might go to the one in Helensburgh just to see what it's all about and see about joining there.

Keep in touch,cheers for the info.

Oh. Heres the e mail i got regarding membership.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thank you for your request to join the Scotland West All Terrain club. Due to the success of the club and its growing membership we have had to revert to the election of members as per the club Constitution and Rules whereby each potential member must have a proposer and seconder who are existing club members and would vouch for the potential member, and then the application will go before a committee meeting for approval, or if the applicant does not know any club members, he must satisfy the committee that he would be a responsible member of the club before his membership is approved.
                        Print out the membership form on the attachment, fill in the details and post it off to me at the address on the top of the form along with the joining fee. If you do not know any members who can propose and second you send the form in with details of your previous experience at off-road driving and I will be in touch.
                        Please be aware that you are unlikely to be covered by your normal car insurance when you drive off-road so you will not be compensated for any damage you occur. Damage resulting from collision between two or more vehicles will have to be sorted out between the drivers. This does not often happen but it is a possibility. If you do not want to damage your vehicle, do not take it off-road as it is almost certain that you will at least sustain paintwork damage due to contact with scrub and branches!!! Your vehicle must have sound front and rear recovery points to extract you when you get stuck - this can be a very dangerous procedure as it puts much more load on the recovery point than a normal road tow will exert, and can be up to 2 or 3 times the vehicles actual weight.
                        Many of the sites we visit require mud terrain tyres to make progress over the ground. This is not much fun if you have road tyres and are constantly getting stuck, or if you are the person who has to spend most of his time recovering vehicles. We try to advise members if the venue requires mud pattern tyres.

regards,
                        Andy Prentice(club secretary)
                        Last edited by smiffy; 27 January 2006, 17:49.

Comment

hi fraser, i will be joining the club at some point, probably march as this is when the memberships are renewed.

so if you can wait, i will be your proposer and im sure a few of the guys that i know will second you.

where are you in the country?

its true what the andy prentice says, you will need a set of mud terraines. if you have never been off road before, one of there driving days would be good, you dont need to do anything that you dont want to.

this is the guys web site that i know, http://www.royesgarage.co.uk/ have a look at the off roading videos, most of them are with scotwest so it will give you a idea of what to expect.

i am no expert off road driver by any manner of meens, and there are always plenty people there to pull you out the s$$t, which i must admit, happens to me a lot.

cheers and keep in touch

Comment

Nor-Trak

Hi All

I'm heading to Nor-Trak on Sunday if any of the Scotts Surfers are interested.

Cheers
                            Dev

Comment

Greetigs again Scotty.

I'm in Dunoon,it's across from Gourock/Greenock( short ferry trip). Or round by road (1hr to Glasgow) so quite a lot of SWAT sites are close. likes of Helensburgh and Langbank. It would be great if you could vouch for me. March sounds good,i'm on standby till then anyway so weekends are non existent just now. Not much off road experience i'm afraid so would be interesting to see what the Surf is capable of.

Bought me Surf in Bellshill or Hollytown to be exact. is that near you?

I'll check out the website to.

Thanks again Scotty

Comment

Working...
                              X