messy oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• messy oil leak

I’ve got an oil leak – well the Surf has. It seems to be coming from behind the pully at the front of the engine and could possibly be by the alternator area. we've spent well over an hour looking for suspect areas and this seems to be the most likely culprit.

She loses about a litre of oil every 6 weeks.

Any ideas as now I’ve not got a job, I can’t afford to waste money on bits I don’t need.

Dave

Doesnt the surf alternator have an oil supply and return at the rear of it and connecting to the injun on the RHS somewhere??

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
      Doesnt the surf alternator have an oil supply and return at the rear of it and connecting to the injun on the RHS somewhere??
      Yeah Jim, there is also an oil seal between the alternator and vaccum unit which can leak .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Front crank seal could be the problem. Have a look at very bottom of timing belt cover. There is a small section in seal which acts as a drain and oil will leak from here is seal is gone. If oil has contaminated timing belt then replace it.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by Draig
          I’ve got an oil leak – well the Surf has. It seems to be coming from behind the pully at the front of the engine and could possibly be by the alternator area. we've spent well over an hour looking for suspect areas and this seems to be the most likely culprit.

She loses about a litre of oil every 6 weeks.

Any ideas as now I’ve not got a job, I can’t afford to waste money on bits I don’t need.
          HI Mate,
          If you dont want to spend on bits just keep it topped up Will cost you probably less than a fiver per month or two.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

cheers guys - I don't mind topping up etc - just dont want the thing to pack in on me - if it is just a seal then I'll be happy with that as it costs less than a new part!!

just worrying as with no money coming in I can't afford to be without the surf as I need it for transport etc
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X