No announcement yet.

Motor Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, commercial road tax is cheaper, if I was to tax a 3.0l engine privately it would be over €1000. The road tax rates went up here not so long ago and before then I was paying €943 to tax a MKiv Toyota Supra!
    Insurance over here is based on the weather, the tides and anything else that changes by the minute.... Its a joke!
    Seriously, the insurance on commercials is not to different from private in my experiance.

Would still love that 4.2 'cruiser though.......

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
      Yes, commercial road tax is cheaper, if I was to tax a 3.0l engine privately it would be over €1000. The road tax rates went up here not so long ago and before then I was paying €943 to tax a MKiv Toyota Supra!
      Insurance over here is based on the weather, the tides and anything else that changes by the minute.... Its a joke!
      Seriously, the insurance on commercials is not to different from private in my experiance.

Would still love that 4.2 'cruiser though.......
      can you just swop then from private to commercial
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
        can you just swop then from private to commercial
        Not usually, commercial normally entails removal and blanking of all side windows behind driver, removing rear seats and fitting a flat load floor, sometimes a partial or complete bulkhead too.

Sometimes haowever it can be got around on larger vehicles such as estates and 4x4's. Not entirely sure how the former owner of my surf managed it but I'm not complaining. I know he had to get a weight certificate, inform the local tax office that the rear seats had been removed (lie) and have it DOE'd

Note in Ireland passenger vehicles undergo an NCT - National Car Test - ever 2 yrs (similar to your MOT) whilst commercials undergo a DOE - Department Of Environment - test annually.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
          is it cheaper on commercial & how do you get round insurance
          As far as my insurance is concerned its private, the offical designation of my vehicle is a private motor car, ie duty was paid at that rate on importation. The road tax issue is more or less seperate.
          Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Morr

Note in Ireland passenger vehicles undergo an NCT - National Car Test - ever 2 yrs (similar to your MOT) whilst commercials undergo a DOE - Department Of Environment - test annually.
            The DOE is every one or two years depending on the weight of the vehicle. Usually smaller commercials (golfs etc) are every two years but over 1800kg (i think) is annually

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
              Not usually, commercial normally entails removal and blanking of all side windows behind driver, removing rear seats and fitting a flat load floor, sometimes a partial or complete bulkhead too.

Sometimes haowever it can be got around on larger vehicles such as estates and 4x4's. Not entirely sure how the former owner of my surf managed it but I'm not complaining. I know he had to get a weight certificate, inform the local tax office that the rear seats had been removed (lie) and have it DOE'd

My 2.4 was taxed private when I got it and I changed it to commercial,But i've been told that as of next year anybody taxing a vehicle commercial will have to provide a vat no. anyone know anything about this?

Comment

Originally posted by G1xer
                My 2.4 was taxed private when I got it and I changed it to commercial,But i've been told that as of next year anybody taxing a vehicle commercial will have to provide a vat no. anyone know anything about this?
                Haven't heard that, certainly hope not.
                Not sure how they could enforce that tho, coz a business is not obliged to register for vat unless their turnover is above a certain threshold, I know there are many sole traders who manage to keep their reported turnover below that threshold, yet they would surely still be entitled to, and possible require the use of a commercial vehicle.
                Hmm... food for thought anyway.
                Maurice

Comment

Just what i was told by a few different Individuals i was hoping to trade for a 3l, (which was what i wanted from the start) but now im going to wait until early next year and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by G1xer
                    Just what i was told by a few different Individuals i was hoping to trade for a 3l, (which was what i wanted from the start) but now im going to wait until early next year and see what happens
                    Don't blame you for waiting, I'd be cautious too
                    Maurice

Comment

G1xer I was just thinking that it wont be long till Brennan ('can-do will-do' Minster for Transport) with Mcreevy (bankrupt Finance Minister) breathing down his neck close off all the loopholes and then you mention the VAT thing. Just wait ... 5 penalty points from Brennan for not paying the right amount and backpayments with interest for Mcreevy.
                      This country is getting seriously anti-fun so if they even smell you can get away with something they'll call the gestapo in and pull your goolies out.

Comment

How much are you you Irish Surfers paying for insurance? I'm paying just under £400 with protected ncd, in the Manchester area, but I've seen posts on the old forum where people in other areas are paying under £250.
                        Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                          How much are you you Irish Surfers paying for insurance? I'm paying just under £400 with protected ncd, in the Manchester area, but I've seen posts on the old forum where people in other areas are paying under £250.
                          Pete
                          I'm forking out €1800 at the moment. Outrageous or what. I did have a little claim about 3 years ago. I reversed into a guys car on site, but he had his racing bike on the back. Car cost 1000 to repair, bike cost 2000. Gues i'll be paying for it forever.
                          Derek :
                          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Pete I paid €879 fully comp last mth for a '91 2.4 manual. Thats a city price too. Ireland is the place to come to if you want to be ripped off for motor insurance, crucified for motor tax, put out of business by insurance premiums even if you've never claimed, be a sober non-drinking citizen. I reserve the right to drink all nite, sit as a non-smoker in a smoke filled bar and get drunk then go out to my motor, look at it and then walk home ( rant over 4 now).

(cant you tell i was on the tinnies last nite when i wrote this post)
                            Last edited by JimL; 4 September 2003, 20:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                              Pete
                              I'm paying a tad over €1100 for fully comp on my '96 3.0 - No NCD protection tho.
                              That's with full NCD, over 30 etc, etc, in Dublin
                              Maurice

Comment

I paid just over €1000 for mine. Thats on a '98, I declared €2000 for audio/video protection as well.

I have full NCB and a Kildare address

Comment

Working...
                                X