Timing Belt Squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt Squeak

I've just had new belts fitted on my Surf, and now I have an annoying squeak when I accelerate. This only lasts until the engine has warmed up so it isn't a major problem, but it does get some strange "what a heap of junk" looks from the neighbours.

I think it is the belts being either too loose or too tight. Too tight isn't a problem, because they will probably slack off a bit once they bed in. Too loose is more of a problem as I don't have a guage to check the correct tightness.

Any ideas?
    Just Vegging Out

It's probably the alternator belt. The screeching is the belt slipping on the pulleys and after a while the belt gets warm and sticky, thus gripping the pulleys better and the screeching stops.
    The way I check the tension is by twisting the belt at it's longest section between pulleys, through 90 degrees. if you can't twist it, it's too tight. If you can twist it more than 90 degrees, it's too slack. I use this method on all drive belts.

p.s. You don't want the belts to be too tight either, as it puts stress on the pulleys / bearings.

Comment

He knows you know
      thats as good a way as any
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Originally posted by dleach2103
        Too tight isn't a problem
        It is actually. Bearings will suffer with belts that are too tight. Your heading says Timing Belt. Did you have this changed. If that is squeaking then you may have an idler bearing or similar problem. Not sure on the 3 Ltr but the 2.4s have an idler sprocket and a tensioner. If the bearings fail in these then it's goodbye engine. Both should be automatically tensioned. The 2.4 with the spring loaded tensioner and the 3Ltr with the hydraulic tensioner.

Nev

Comment

At the mid point of the fan belt, between two pullies, there should be 1/2 inch movement. Your fan belts are too loose. They are easy to tighten.

Comment

Working...
          X