Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks

Comment

I'd also advise you to drive both manual and auto models. I've always owned manual cars, but I've driven quite a few autos where I work. The Surf auto box on my 1991 beats the cr*p out of anything I've driven before. It's on par with the new (05 onwards) Jeep Grand Cherokee gearbox (and the Surf won't leak around the grab handles ). It's SO much better than the VW auto box, which seems to stay in high gear when you need some power. And don't get me started about Ford autos...

Genral concensus is that there's very little difference MPG wise between manuals and autos. As mentioned before though, depends how heavy you right foot is...
      _______
      /_/ _ | 0\__
      \,...__,..._ /
      _(o)__(o)_

Comment

aslong as i can get around 25-30 i'll be happy. is that posssible?? im very cautious with the right foot anyway

personally i dont like autos. dont know why

Comment

Originally posted by princessC83
          thanks for that. all useful stuff. scoob economy seems to be around 25 but has gone down to 19 with town driving

fuel economy doesnt concern me over much, im just after something bit more practical and i like the look of the surf. are they actually any good offroading aswell??
          Good Luck finding the right one, buy black, they go faster :-)

Things we didn't check and should have

THere was no oil in the engine at all
          All the tyres were perished and needed replacing
          The spare was the wrong size
          The tyres went in week one (M5)
          The head went in week 3 (cracked)
          Back window is now knackared (try out bringing it up and down, if you have a few to choose from !)

Also - check for what extra's you can save yourself with
          Ours didn't have a stereo in - if yours does check it works as imports need twiddling to get them going and its all added faff!
          go for one with a rear spoiler if you have the option the break lights look SOOO cool!
          Check the interiour, ours had a hard life with a builder or something and had spillages of who knows what in the back. (All covered up now but added expense again)
          If it has a parcel shelf thats a bonus, if it has the fixings for one thats good too, long trips with all your luggage on show and potential to fly about in a ding dong with something else can feel a bit hairy!

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
          Hope to be hearing about your Black Monster v. soon :-)

Nx
          Naomi
          AKA - Mamadwyvin
          www.greenhands.co.uk

Comment

PS. They ROCK off road!! See the gallery shots for more info!
            Naomi
            AKA - Mamadwyvin
            www.greenhands.co.uk

Comment

thanks for that all good stuff not actually getting one til next summer but i wanted to get a headstart and see whats about and what to look at

Comment

Thats what I did, read all the techie stuff and reliability issues, spares availability and servicing, insurance and performance figures, as it's my first 4X4.

Comment

don't do what i did and go out with £10k in a brown envelope, looking for a ford focus and sitting in a pub opposite a place that sels imports!!...

later that day........

Bugga!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I got my one after alot of searching .. I must admit top gear influenced my decision.... .......Got one off a dealer so i am first british owner ... It helped as my oil seal between the engine and box went within 10 days , lucky it was under guarantee.. still love it and its fun to off road it .....http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18938
                    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
                    X