Mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpg

Hi, New to this site , (few days) Im thinking of buying a Surf, and i dont know mutch about 4 wheel drive. Never had one. I was wondering can you put it in 2 wheel drive to get better MPG. Or does it have to stay in 4 Wheel drive , when in normal day to day use. Thinking of getting a manual not a automatic. Thanks Dave.

hi,iv just worked out 20 to the gallon on my last tank.i also put in veg oil to keep cost down.not much difference in economy from manual to auto, especially when manuals can be dearer to purchase.

by the way mines for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!3.0 ssrg 1994

Comment

i'll start!

second gen surfs have selectable 4wd, and you should only use 4wd off road as there's no transfer box to stop the transmission from winding up.

Oh, and general consensus is there's little difference in mpg between the 2.4 and the 3.0.

hope it helps,

mart
      Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Hi
        have a look in 'heading north' thread here in general,
        I am running a 3.0L and as you can see I return 20 when towing abusing and generally doing what one shouldn't (speed wise!)
        Whatever, these are 2 ton trucks - but I reccon if I drive as one should I would return nearer 30, mind you I do have a bit of help;
        a complete engine rebuild
        reconned injectors
        aannnnd just to keep it winding it is blue with no lights, bars etc to give wind resistance.
        Mine does give better performance with a little help from veg oil
        any way all I can say is get one...you will not be dissapointed, dont be scared of auto either - it is a good box
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

Dont matter how you drive it mate it your gonna get about 20 mpg. Dont know about the veggie oil though never tried it. Any advice about mix and are there any drawbacks other that smelling like an old chip pan?

Comment

Every tankfull I record milage for work and have NEVER had less than 25.

Comment

how are u geting 25mpg?tyres?mods etc etc?

i just fuelled up with 40kwid od diesel and x4 3ltr bottles of veg oil.simple as that!!does smell different but not really like a chip van.unless your using used oil.

Comment

Hippo has averaged 26.4 mpg in the last 4500 km

Trev
                Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

if i used mine for work i'd be doing 5mpg business miles and 100mpg private miles!

oh, and the 2nd gen does have a transfer box, (that's the bit that selects 4x4)... just doesn't have a diff in it.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by a.plasterer

i just fuelled up with 40kwid od diesel and x4 3ltr bottles of veg oil.simple as that!!does smell different but not really like a chip van.unless your using used oil.
                    No mods, normal 50/50 tyres. Do a lot of motorway and A roads. Don't take any special care with her except making sure the oil is done on time

Comment

Originally posted by a.plasterer

no mods other than a sensible right foot to get high twenties, as i said 20 MPG was towing above the legal limit..averaged over 60 inc stops on a run over 7 hrs. returning speed took the needle up to the trip button so was cirtainly over the ton-so if that returned 20 I know tht 60-70 will give a lot more. A/T tyres, but I do listen to the box and don't go to kick down often.
                      ecconomic they aint but concidering the engine size and weight............
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

When your talking mpg what do you get to a full tank?? mine cost about £52.00 to fill and I get between 270 and 290 per fill. What that mpg wise? Ps I'm daft
                        Fuzzy wuzzy wuz a woman??

Comment

Originally posted by elmerfudd
                          When your talking mpg what do you get to a full tank?? mine cost about £52.00 to fill and I get between 270 and 290 per fill. What that mpg wise? Ps I'm daft
                          depends on how much the diesel was pence per litre.
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you, but economy wasn't on my mind when I wanted a Surf, just the way it looked!.

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                              depends on how much the diesel was pence per litre.
                              say about 90p (ish)
                              Fuzzy wuzzy wuz a woman??

Comment

Working...
                              X