Old drivers like T bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old drivers like T bones

I was driving my truck down the B2016 (seven mile lane) towards Paddock Wood this morning. As I was going down the hill towards the rounderbout, there is a cross roads. This old boy in a car (I frankly didn't see the make of), decided to pull out, 200yds in front of me, to cross the road and go straight across. It was -2 deg, a little foggy, and the road was greasy. My heart went a little as he took his time. As I hit the brakes (lucky I was empty and had a 3+3), he reached the middle of the road, where there is a turning lane.

Then without looking, he decided to go straight across, sped up, and bang, T boned a car straight into the drivers door which was going up the hill at about 40MPH. How the car driver didn't end up on his roof is a mystery. The old boy then carried on across the road.

I'm just glad he didn't do that to me, otherwise he would have ended up going under the trailer. I was going to stop, but it was too busy. There were half a dozen cars waiting to turn at the junction, so there were plenty of witnesses.

Hope they were ok? But some of these old drivers are a danger to themselves and others.

Some of the older generation of drivers do worry me!

I've been off work for the last 2 months as a constant reminder of the 70 year old woman who used my mitsubishi fto as her brakes back in january.

she was done for driving without due care and attention as she was accelerating to 50, in a fourty, on a greasy road going downhill towards the roundabout at which I was at the back of the queue! she might of braked earlier if she wasn't looking in her mirror thinking a car was overtaking her, it's a ****** dual carriageway! people tend to overtake! she could've dived in the empty bus lane rather than skidding for 40 feet before hitting me!

Nissan micra's make a suprising thud when coming into contact with the boot of a sportscar.

I think the money earned from speed camera's should be used to fund driving tests for everyone with a license every five years. if you fail, you have 12 months to retake and pass, otherwise you have you license taken away.

that'd sort people out!

cheers,

Mart
    Last edited by B16mts; 20 December 2005, 19:55.
    Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

must be the day for it!

had an AudiTT in High wycombe turning left from a right hand lane and i missed him by inches.. then in Staines a ford focus undertook and then cut in fron as i was in a filter lane... flashed the lights and HE called ME a ****er!... (if only he knew!!.. hehehe!!)

but just to make up for it, the girls at one of my drops gave me a christmas prezzie!!... Excellent!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts
        Some of the older generation of drivers do worry me!

I've been off work for the last 2 months as a constant reminder of the 70 year old woman who used my mitsubishi fto as her brakes back in january.

she was done for driving without due care and attention as she was accelerating to 50, in a fourty, on a greasy road going downhill towards the roundabout at which I was at the back of the queue! she might of braked earlier if she wasn't looking in her mirror thinking a car was overtaking her, it's a ****** dual carriageway! people tend to overtake! she could've dived in the empty bus lane rather than skidding for 40 feet before hitting me!

Nissan micra's make a suprising thud when coming into contact with the boot of a sportscar.

I think the money earned from speed camera's should be used to fund driving tests for everyone with a license every five years. if you fail, you have 12 months to retake and pass, otherwise you have you license taken away.

that'd sort people out!

cheers,

Mart

Great Idea

TRY

Retest at 40

etc
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by ianwoodzie
          Great Idea

TRY

Retest at 40

etc
          at least an eye test and medical!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            at least an eye test and medical!

too right i nearly got an old boy today that just tried to cross the road .
            Good job i've just done my breaks!!!!
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

As an oldy myself,I do not agree with your comments,the insurance coms
              tell us that drivers between 18-30 are the greatest risk,maybe your age?

Comment

Retest every 5/10 years? Sounds good to me.

Expensive? Maybe, but if it will keep drivers (of all ages) on the ball and weed out those who can not be safe through sight/reactions/ability, assist those who are having problems that they don't realise and put across the idea that driving is something that you have to keep on top of, it's worth it.

Unfortunately, the problem with younger drivers is a combination of attitude and lack of experience. The former is difficult to cure, the latter only cured through making mistakes. There will always be a risk.

Why isn't the IAM test compulsory? It's not that hard!

Comment

Working...
                X