Warning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning?

Think this only affects Surfs where airbags are fitted.

Have just read a thread on MB A Class web site where some guy was removing a side panel and triggered the air bags accidentally. He broke 2 fingers and was bruised and shaken. In a follow up someone also warned about working on the steering wheel and dash. The concensus was to disconnect the battery before you work on anything in the vicinity of the bags or the triggers.

Does anyone know what precautions we should take on the Surf. Is disconnecting the battery enough? I am not technical but it don't sound enough to me.

Is a warning timely?

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by VMC
    Think this only affects Surfs where airbags are fitted.

Have just read a thread on MB A Class web site where some guy was removing a side panel and triggered the air bags accidentally. He broke 2 fingers and was bruised and shaken. In a follow up someone also warned about working on the steering wheel and dash. The concensus was to disconnect the battery before you work on anything in the vicinity of the bags or the triggers.

Does anyone know what precautions we should take on the Surf. Is disconnecting the battery enough? I am not technical but it don't sound enough to me.

Is a warning timely?

Thanks guys.
    wear a crash helmet or a bucket with two holes cut out the front
    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Coming from body repairs experience, you only have to really worry if you're gonna be working in the direct vicinity of the airbag or trigger. If you're gonna play around with the dash or steering column, get a schematic telling you where the airbag and triggers are located, then disconnect it before starting work, and take it to Toyota to get it reset once you're done. Usually airbags just have a little plug you can pull out.

There may be ways of 'switching off' airbags (like for child seats in more modern cars). However, the initiator and airbag will still be connected, so care should still be taken.

There may be easier ways of working around the airbags, but I'd always disconnect them. It may be a pain to take them to a dealer to get them reset, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Expect to pay between £15-40 for the reset. Independent delaers with the right kit may charge less. The process takes less than 10 minutes.
      _______
      /_/ _ | 0\__
      \,...__,..._ /
      _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Working...
      X