Classic Car Insurance Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Car Insurance Problem

If there`s anybody out there who knows about insurance, i`d like to know if this is right or not.

The wifes boss(a butcher) has had a Morris Minor as his everyday motor and delivery vehicle for 15 years.It has been insured by the same people for 15 years as a classic car.He has now got rid of the morris because it was going to cost thousands to get it through the mot.
    He bought an old astra as a temprey measure,but his insurer says he has no, no claims since it does`nt build up on a classic car policey.He`s over 50 and is paying £400 third party, fire and theft on a car worth £250.

Has anybody heard of anything like this before??

cheers
    jack
    Stella Artois

Originally posted by jackster

cheers
    jack
    Yes - Insurance companies are the pits for stiffing motorists, I've had a few run ins.

I'm not an expert but can he check with the old policy company to see if they consider that he was generating no-claims? Usually a company will send a document stating how many no-claims you have at the end of your policy. Often the new company request it. That would be my first step.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

I have had a classic car policy for years,there is not a no claims section,
      instead the car is insured at an agreed sum(not a market value)with an option to recover the car for repair if it is damaged over this value of the insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by jackster
        If there`s anybody out there who knows about insurance, i`d like to know if this is right or not.

The wifes boss(a butcher) has had a Morris Minor as his everyday motor and delivery vehicle for 15 years.It has been insured by the same people for 15 years as a classic car.He has now got rid of the morris because it was going to cost thousands to get it through the mot.
        He bought an old astra as a temprey measure,but his insurer says he has no, no claims since it does`nt build up on a classic car policey.He`s over 50 and is paying £400 third party, fire and theft on a car worth £250.

cheers
        jack
        Absolutely spot on! although he has been paying over the odds for classic insurance at £400 year, he could have got a normal policy for that amount with a no claims bonus! Mine is under £100 on my car and less than £150 when I had two
        THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Yep, classic policy is considered as an extra or spare car so the no claims sceme does not apply.

Comment

Working...
          X