No announcement yet.

Hope everyone is ok !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just turning onto the M10 when i saw a light flash then moments later it felt like i dropped the trailor of the back so i was checking my mirrors just to make sure. As i climbed the hill i saw a huge mushroom cloud rising into the sky in the murk of the mist thinking the moon was lighting it up nicely, how wrong i was. As i got further up the hill i was thinking that it was a barn blaze along side the road. As i got to the top of the hill i was greeted with this huge fire and then it dawned on me what it was...As drove onto the M1 I could see a couple of ASDA Drivers yacking about it and past the junction there was cars and trucks all parked up on the hard shoulder just sittin their gawping...I had my hands full with jonny foreigner wandering across the lanes in his 4 wheeler so i planted my foot and got out of his way.

If i had left the yard 5 mins earlier i would have been along side it smelling adrenalin....
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

We have got a depot just down the road in the same estate, BOC's depot. They are having a new fridge built and the explosion blew the new roof off and blew some brick walls in. Some of the drivers were at our depot today, as the Hemel depot has shut down. So it looks like we will be covering all the deliverys from our site. All the managers were called in. Looks like it's going to be a nightmare as Christmas is the busiest time of year for us.

My thoughts are with all the injured, hope they get well soon!!

Comment

is there any folk on the forum from Hemel Hempstead??
        are they ok???
        do they need any help securing there homes from the naughty people????
        and have they got a bed for the night if they need one????????

to any of them and ones not on the forum

Thinking of you guys at this Troubled time and if i can help just ask this forum has not moved a mountain YET!!!! but it wont be long i am sure

Comment

A few pictures from my house - about 1 1/2 miles from Buncefield

Last few taken on my mobile phone.
          Attached Files

Comment

Anyone heard from Nigel and Julie?
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
              I have
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Well thats one way to get rid of some fuel, and we all thought that those V8s could burn gas.
                I am glad to hear that those of you who live or work close to the fire are o.k
                Windows and doors busted are fine, people hurt is not!!
                As a Firefighter myself I can NOT imagine what it is like to be there.
                I have the utmost respect for my fellow fireys over there especially as it is now suspected that there is an unexploded tank among the other burning tanks. This may cause a BLEVE and that is not good in the middle of a tank farm that is already on fire.
                Again I am glad you are all o.k

I said to my Station officer " So what would you say upon arrival"
                He rekoned " Send more trucks.........ALL OF THEM !!!!!!!"

It should go out in a day or two, meanwhile the oil companies will see an opportunity for a fuel price rise ???
                Simon.O.
                '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by Simon.O.
                  Well thats one way to get rid of some fuel, and we all thought that those V8s could burn gas.
                  I have the utmost respect for my fellow fireys over there especially as it is now suspected that there is an unexploded tank among the other burning tanks. This may cause a BLEVE and that is not good in the middle of a tank farm that is already on fire.

It should go out in a day or two, meanwhile the oil companies will see an opportunity for a fuel price rise ???

BLEVE.........Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion

Also being a ex fire fighter my concerns are for the guys at the sharp end , its nice to know the feeling is world wide
                  Last edited by Woodzie; 13 December 2005, 08:51.
                  www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Nigel had his own explosion problems last week, this was nothing!
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Simon.O.

I think a lot of respect should go to the emergency services, the fire fighters have done an amazing job, first keeping it contained while they stockpiled foam. then getting 10 of the 20 fires out yesterday. From my house it looked terrible, god knows what it must have been like close in. And the government are trying to reduce the size of the fire service around here and centralise it and also they are trying to close down the A&E department except for minor stuff at Hemel General Hospital and move it to Watford. Hope they see sense now with such a large flamable site so close to housing.

Comment

Glad everyone's ok. We were rudely awakened by our bedroom door rattling in its frame - I thought we were in a ****** tornado and we are 16 miles away-woke up saying what the f was that! Dog didn't bat an eyelid though.......... Ma in law lives near wallyworld and son in law works on Maylands - or should I say did work on maylands as his employer is having to relocate! just glad it happened at 6 on a Sunday and not at any other time.

Comment

is that the industrial estate on the right as you come off the M1?

used to deliver to gillette / sonoco there...

is that still standing??
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                            is that the industrial estate on the right as you come off the M1?

used to deliver to gillette / sonoco there...

is that still standing??
                            It's standing in another field now.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

It's standing in another field now.
                              shame!... they had a good canteen!

ah, the memories of spending a night out parked on their loading bay for 9 hours!!

good trading estate though!... they had No. plate recognition on the entrance... i'd pull in and if it caught the right angle... SLUG MAN would come up on the screen!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                                shame!... they had a good canteen!

ah, the memories of spending a night out parked on their loading bay for 9 hours!!

good trading estate though!... they had No. plate recognition on the entrance... i'd pull in and if it caught the right angle... SLUG MAN would come up on the screen!
                                I would drive by in Hippo and it would fail to read her plate !!!

Trev
                                Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
                                X