Long term storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term storage

We are returning to the UK for the birth of no.2, so Since we will be in the UK for anything up to 6 months, I want to put my truck into "storage" in our garage.

What I will be looking to do is:

Put the vehicle up on axle stands and remove the wheels.

Store the wheels in the back of the truck.

Drain the engine oil.

Disconnect the batteries, get them fully charged and then stored in the house.

Is this the right procedure and is there anything else I should consider?

With no batteries etc the alarm/central locking will be disabled but will I at least I'll be able to lock/unlock and therefore get into the truck after
    a six month gap?
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

I think i would grease all nipples and ensure hand brake is left off - as well.

also look in any haynes manual for info on long term storage.
    Last edited by jaky cakes; 6 December 2005, 08:40.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
      look in any haynes manual for info on long term storage.
      Don't have one here in Kenya...
      @africa4x4cafe

Comment

wouldn't recomend draining the engine oil unless you are putting new oil in. If there's no oil & you get moisture (not very likely in Kenya I know) the internals could corrode.

Also change the coolant and add a anti-corroding addative to the coolant.

Good idea to put the truck on stands but no need to remove the wheels - just cover them with sacking etc. to prevent UVA damage.

Also a good idea to drain most of the fuel amd then re-fill with new stuff when you return

hope this helps

ta

hawaii
        I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

many surfs and mitsis that end up in the UK have stood for over 6 months in storage with no preperation whatsoever. Often they leave the owner in Japan to be bought by export agents that store them for months after auction to uk buyers. This is done as many UK import agents wait until they have 10 or more cars to get the shipping costs down.

Your surf will easily be capable of just sitting in the garage alone for 6 months without anything other than a routine service and grease up before you leave. Stand it on axle stands for sure but whats the point in removing the wheels once the weight is off them unless its for anti theft measures?

Charge your batteries and buy a conditioner for them about £25.00 to keep them in tip top order inside the house. This will deliver a constant milliamp charge current and ensure they are fully charged on your return.

Al.
          I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Ja, chaining the wheels in the back is an anti-theft measure, but didn't want to leave old oil in the engine as "deposits" may start hardening internally and didn't want to "waste" money on an oil change before I left and then another when I get back - well that's my reasoning anyway.

Think I'll change the oil before I leave (there is not alot of low sulphur diesel out here and wouldn't want to leave the engine sitting in a mild solution of sulphuric acid again! Does engine oil does have a lifespan?)and then disconect the bats and put it up on axle stands.

Many thanks for the advice, see you in blighty sometime.
            @africa4x4cafe

Comment

sure theres a place called devils pit WE can store it there for you
              Enjoying Life after Cancer
              Pops

Comment

Most classic car places will sell additives for all the fluids to treat them for storage. Brakes will be the most interesting, with condensation in the fluid...

The only one that comes to mind is Frosts...

www.frost.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for regarding my 2nd Gen 4Runner as a classic! Too kind my man, too kind...

Leaving in two weeks so I'll just leave it as is and then give it a full "C" service when I get back - thanks anyway guys.
                  @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher
                    Thanks for regarding my 2nd Gen 4Runner as a classic! Too kind my man, too kind...

Leaving in two weeks so I'll just leave it as is and then give it a full "C" service when I get back - thanks anyway guys.
                    Bring your thermals, the weather here WILL be a shock to the system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

2nd gen is a classis, thats why toyota copied it with the landcruiser 80 series (well its nice arse anyway)...

and...

Thats why most of us drive one too...

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                        Bring your thermals, the weather here WILL be a shock to the system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trev
                        but it's very mild for the time of year!... or is that cos i don't start work at 4am anymore!
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                        X