How fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast?

O.K. chaps, I've been a member of this forum for nearly two years now and I don't think I've ever asked for any help, always used the search facility or studied other posts which got me sorted.
    Now it's my turn to ask for help so please be kind and don't ridicule me........

My problem is my speedo. The mileometer clicks over as it should, so does the odometer so I know how far I've travelled, but I've no idea how fast 'cos the speedo needle won't move. It can move freely so it's not stuck. So I'm thinking it may be an electronic problem, 'cos it's an electronic speedo as opposed to a cable operated one.
    Any ideas people?

p.s. My vehicle details are under my user name. (take note all you secretive newbies!)

Oh dear, I think you might find the speedo heads f*****. I dismantled mine to convert it from KMS to miles when I put in an electric converter. The converter did both speedo needle & mileometer so I think they take the same feed from the gearbox. If your mileometer is still turning it looks like the motor used to drive the needle could be at fault.

The only other thing is that I think a small cable & connector joined this onto the speedo circuit board, it might of come loose

Hope this helps
    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

I thought it would be something like that. Cheers, I'll take the dash out tonight and wave the magic....er sorry soldering wand over it.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        I thought it would be something like that. Cheers, I'll take the dash out tonight and wave the magic....er sorry soldering wand over it.

How many times have you had your dash off now vince? It hasn't got anything to do with all those LED's is it?

Comment

Nope, did'nt touch the clocks. The speedo hasn't worked for six months so it's not my doin' guv!
          But I'm thinking it maybe a bad connection on the plugs on the back on the circuit board. there are four of them.

p.s. I replaced the LEDs with proper plug in type LEDs that give a better 'spread' of light. Oh and iv'e gone for green, 'cos I couldn't be arsed to rip out the heater controls.

Comment

Nope, did'nt touch the clocks. The speedo hasn't worked for six months so it's not my doin' guv!
            But I'm thinking it maybe a bad connection on the plugs on the back on the circuit board. there are four of them.

p.s. I replaced the LEDs with proper plug in type LEDs that give a better 'spread' of light. Oh and iv'e gone for green, 'cos I couldn't be arsed to rip out the heater controls.
            and you took loads of pics??

Comment

Nah, I've got a **** digi camera.
              Here's a pic in daylight though.
              Attached Files

Comment

Silver dial surrounds look nice, Vince. Where are they from??
                It just does, OK?

Comment

Me, I sprayed it. and around the heater buttons and inside the cd holder under the stereo. Oh and the centre of the steering wheel.
                  I'll take some more pics in the morning if anyone wants to see, 'cos I can't take nightime pics.
                  Anybody recommend a decent digi camera.

Comment

Me, I sprayed it. and around the heater buttons and inside the cd holder under the stereo. Oh and the centre of the steering wheel.
                    I'll take some more pics in the morning if anyone wants to see, 'cos I can't take nightime pics.
                    Anybody recommend a decent digi camera.
                    I like the look of the sprayed surround....would think it would help dials to stand out better......
                    Just cant get up the nerve to take the dash out...........

Comment

Here's a pic of the 'cockpit' (I'm changing the silver gear lever surround for black leather)
                      Then I'm gonna get the seats recovered in black vinyl with slate grey vinyl door panels.

On a mission to pimp! (tastefully of course)
                      Attached Files

Comment

O.K. chaps, I've been a member of this forum for nearly two years now and I don't think I've ever asked for any help, always used the search facility or studied other posts which got me sorted.
                        Now it's my turn to ask for help so please be kind and don't ridicule me........

My problem is my speedo. The mileometer clicks over as it should, so does the odometer so I know how far I've travelled, but I've no idea how fast 'cos the speedo needle won't move. It can move freely so it's not stuck. So I'm thinking it may be an electronic problem, 'cos it's an electronic speedo as opposed to a cable operated one.
                        Any ideas people?

p.s. My vehicle details are under my user name. (take note all you secretive newbies!)
                        Vince.

It could either be one of the multiplugs got a dry joint or more likely.....

The speedo is connected to the board by 3 or 4 screws. However it is connected from the contacts on the back to the speedo by a couple of very thin wires, these often break and are nearly impossible to solder back on. Thats what happened to mine, cost me 120 notes for a new one from Toyota.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Andy. I shall investigate.

Comment

Here's a pic of the 'cockpit' (I'm changing the silver gear lever surround for black leather)
                            Then I'm gonna get the seats recovered in black vinyl with slate grey vinyl door panels.

On a mission to pimp! (tastefully of course)
                            I likes it......... do you have a lady who comes around? That looks NOthing like the inside of my skip.......

Comment

Vince, it appears that the silver paint is spreading. What exactly has happened to your Hi-Low gaiter?

Comment

Working...
                              X