A30 Dartmoor special!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A30 Dartmoor special!

The one occasion the Surf would have been realy usefull, and I was in a Kia Sedona hire car!
    I left Falmouth at 1500hrs yesterday and arrived home at 0510 this morning!
    A true example of how poor highway management can be.
    The bigest problem was not the fact the road was icy and snow bound, it was the crashes caused by incompetent morons driving with no regard to the conditions.

The Cornish authorities made a real impact on thursday night saying they were anticipating the weather, and had 80 gritting lorries and 21,000 tonnes of grit. Sadly of little use if the road is gridlocked after crashing berks bounce off one-another, the road stops flowing, the gritters cant grit, the road freezes, and more berks crash into one another.

I sat in my nice warm (but horrible) car, watched four films on the laptop, ate my chocolate, biscuits and drank my redbull, pepsimax and water and was in total calm, having prepared for it. Once the gritters and commandeered 4x4s had towed the crashed vehicles clear, the biggest problem was the number of abandoned vehicles in all of the lanes, I counted 78 between Truro and the A38 junction on the A30. The slippery road was turned into a slalom between these thoughtlessly parked vehicles, making a tricky situation far worse.

Were any of you stuck there, giggling hearing how the Army helicopters were rescuing thousands of people from their snowbound vehicles on bbc radio 2?
    I saw one helicopter airlifting a fireman from his overturned engine, and the snow was less than 4 inches deep!

Anyone else stuck there?
    Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Originally posted by Gtdog
    The one occasion the Surf would have been realy usefull, and I was in a Kia Sedona hire car!
    I left Falmouth at 1500hrs yesterday and arrived home at 0510 this morning!
    A true example of how poor highway management can be.
    The bigest problem was not the fact the road was icy and snow bound, it was the crashes caused by incompetent morons driving with no regard to the conditions.

The Cornish authorities made a real impact on thursday night saying they were anticipating the weather, and had 80 gritting lorries and 21,000 tonnes of grit. Sadly of little use if the road is gridlocked after crashing berks bounce off one-another, the road stops flowing, the gritters cant grit, the road freezes, and more berks crash into one another.

I sat in my nice warm (but horrible) car, watched four films on the laptop, ate my chocolate, biscuits and drank my redbull, pepsimax and water and was in total calm, having prepared for it. Once the gritters and commandeered 4x4s had towed the crashed vehicles clear, the biggest problem was the number of abandoned vehicles in all of the lanes, I counted 78 between Truro and the A38 junction on the A30. The slippery road was turned into a slalom between these thoughtlessly parked vehicles, making a tricky situation far worse.

Were any of you stuck there, giggling hearing how the Army helicopters were rescuing thousands of people from their snowbound vehicles on bbc radio 2?
    I saw one helicopter airlifting a fireman from his overturned engine, and the snow was less than 4 inches deep!

Anyone else stuck there?
    i was very close to the roundabout for the Falmouth turn off from Truro at that time yesterday just by the council offices and sainsbury's and the roads were terrible then.i was lucky that i knew the back roads to get back to camborne but it still took over 2 hours to travel 14 miles
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Gtdog
      ...... and the snow was less than 4 inches deep!
      And yet there certain groups say that 4x4's aren't necessary. An end to these mild winter that's what this country needs- a bit of real hardship to restore the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
        And yet there certain groups say that 4x4's aren't necessary. An end to these mild winter that's what this country needs- a bit of real hardship to restore the norm.
        while i was on my way home via the back roads i was stopped and asked by a young couple if i could give them a lift as their car wouldn't make it up the hill.as we were driving i mentioned about the anti 4x4's and the women says she was one of them but she takes back all what she says about 4x4s after being given a lift in one so hopfully that 2 people been converted
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
          Amen to that, These anti 4x4 bleeders soon change there minds when a 4x4
          gets them out the $hit!!!!!!
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

bring on this severe winter there promising i say
            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
              bring on this severe winter there promising i say
              I don't want the snow on one hand - I am a Groundworker
              .............. on the other hand I would welcome some snow fun with my new (to me) Surf!!

Guess I'll be reasonably happy either way then ............
              If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

Comment

geez must have been so fustrating being stuck like that due to incompetent morons!
                even in Aberdeenshire this weekend i have noted that so many people seem incapable of slowing down and driving correctly in winter conditions,
                its all floor the throttle and brake at last minute and who cares what happens driving!
                Landcruiser Colorado
                Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                  geez must have been so fustrating being stuck like that due to incompetent morons!
                  even in Aberdeenshire this weekend i have noted that so many people seem incapable of slowing down and driving correctly in winter conditions,
                  its all floor the throttle and brake at last minute and who cares what happens driving!
                  What gave me a real giggle was a couple of twits in an impretza trying to get grip uphill at about 6000rpm after a static start, their car was just sliding back down after every ten feet up, I waited untill they were firmly stuck in a bank before taking a nice gentle run-up and letting the torque of the engine take me up in second.

They looked so stunned as a front wheel drive mpv by kia gently passed them
                  Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Working...
                  X