Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be Worried

Hi, Ive noticed the last couple of days that my temp gauge is showing about
    a third hot from cold (pointer is third way up ) Running ok and warming up as normal, Im sure it did'nt do that before but cant be 100% certain, Should i be
    worried, Ian.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by ian619
    Hi, Ive noticed the last couple of days that my temp gauge is showing about
    a third hot from cold (pointer is third way up ) Running ok and warming up as normal, Im sure it did'nt do that before but cant be 100% certain, Should i be
    worried, Ian.
    Don't think that you're on your own mate. I've seen a few other posts making mention of the same problem.

My oil temperature guage has been doing this for the last week or so, but my water temperature is normal.

Is this normal behaviour for Surf's when it gets really cold??
    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
      Don't think that you're on your own mate. I've seen a few other posts making mention of the same problem.

My oil temperature guage has been doing this for the last week or so, but my water temperature is normal.

Is this normal behaviour for Surf's when it gets really cold??

Don't you mean your oil PRESSURE gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Don't you mean your oil PRESSURE gauge?
        Ah - me feel stupid!

Just seen TonyN's very very useful post. Cheers Tony. It would appear that after having my baby for a full year I've just noticed that this gauge actually moves.
        Last edited by TheWolfCub; 25 November 2005, 23:35.
        Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Sorry should have said, I mean my water temp gauge, It is starting at third way up then moves to halfway (normal) as she warms up, Everything else is normal, Just did'nt notice it doing that before and am pretty sure it did'nt,
          Perhaps connecting my bullbars to the central heating is whats done it, hehe,
          Ive assumed the oil gauge is pressure not temp, this right? Ian

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
            Sorry should have said, I mean my water temp gauge, It is starting at third way up then moves to halfway (normal) as she warms up, Everything else is normal, Just did'nt notice it doing that before and am pretty sure it did'nt,
            Perhaps connecting my bullbars to the central heating is whats done it, hehe,
            Ive assumed the oil gauge is pressure not temp, this right? Ian
            mine sort of does that now and again....not hot to cold but sometimes starts in between cold and normal,then settles down at normal once its warmed up.I just put it down to all the loving warmth I shower on the old girl.....but you might like to check your water level.
            If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
              mine sort of does that now and again....not hot to cold but sometimes starts in between cold and normal,then settles down at normal once its warmed up.I just put it down to all the loving warmth I shower on the old girl.....but you might like to check your water level.
              Thats what mine was doing Sumo, Although its seems to be working normally
              this afternoon, Water level is ok, So just put down to it having a sticky
              moment (we've all had one of those), Thought it had come out in sympathy
              with my speedo that goes up and down in a series of jerks, cheers Ian,,,

Comment

It could be sticking, recently Linda's temp guage got stuck and all of a sudden twanged up to near the red instead of moving slowly and giving us time to switch all the heaters on (no panic though, we had another Surf on a trailer, going up a hill in 2nd @ lots of revs)

So I was watching the guage like a hawk, ready to get out of the throttle when she started to got hot, and it didn't move, I though 'hey this is good, must be the cold weather' and then...twang! up to the red it went in one hit.

I think I'll replace the sender first, and see how it read better.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  It could be sticking, recently Linda's temp guage got stuck and all of a sudden twanged up to near the red instead of moving slowly and giving us time to switch all the heaters on (no panic though, we had another Surf on a trailer, going up a hill in 2nd @ lots of revs)

So I was watching the guage like a hawk, ready to get out of the throttle when she started to got hot, and it didn't move, I though 'hey this is good, must be the cold weather' and then...twang! up to the red it went in one hit.

I think I'll replace the sender first, and see how it read better.
                  Hi TonyN, Yeah i seem to spend more time watching my gauges than watching
                  the road, Dangerous!! Some one had the phrase under their posts:- one day
                  the paranoia will go and ill enjoy the drive! Know just how they feel

Comment

Keep an eye on your fuel gauge aswell as if this is also rising and dropping it may be the voltage stabiliser playing up .
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                      Keep an eye on your fuel gauge aswell as if this is also rising and dropping it may be the voltage stabiliser playing up .
                      It drops pretty spectaularly when towing 2.5t, but doesn't go up again!!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

In my student days I had a '77 ford fiesta (the sort where carpets were a dealer option) with a stick guage. It stuck on 1/4 tank and I thought I was doing great for feul economy until it died on the M60 at half three in the morning.

Actually after 15 years I still have it in a barn- my dad just cut the back axle off to make a trailer, serve it right

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                          Oh my god, I wont sleep tonight! This bl00dy surf's gonna turn me grey, bald
                          or dead,

Comment

Gun metal grey? or just grey.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              Gun metal grey? or just grey.
                              Gunmetal of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X