Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormforce1067
    did anyone watch the documenary on bbc tonight.i thought it was very good
    and as they said basically he was a victim of his own fame and fortune and never able to say no and it got out of control.
    he should'nt be remembered for what he was in the end but for what he done on the pitch for all his fans
    i know it was a tv programme but not a bad word was said .. even by tommy doc
    nick 1 step in front of you

Comment

Yeah Right, Its all too easy to knock the next guy, He made his choices and he lived his life so good on him! Rember him being, not what he might have
      been, No arguments today, RIP george.
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
        Yeah Right, Its all too easy to knock the next guy, He made his choices and he lived his life so good on him! Rember him being, not what he might have
        been, No arguments today, RIP george.
        well said that man
        nick 1 step in front of you

Comment

Originally posted by koed
          so u saying that becouse he was a alcholic that he was not in his right to have a transplant ..i think that he had paid more into the tax system that u and i will ever do .. so he was entitled to all treatment .. can a smoker not have treatment as he refuses to stop ...
          You're spot on. Regardless of financial status everyone has the right to have the opportunity of a transplant, but like Chillitt says there's also got to be a willing attitude (quit smoking / drinking etc). What upsets a lot of people is that after he received a second chance at life he messed up big time.

The flip side of the coin though is that addiction can come in many forms and even with tremendous amounts of help it can still be impossible to cope with and fight against.

Personally, I think it's really sad when anyone dies, and I think it's even sadder when someone's life is marred and finally ended by a struggle the likes of which George Best obviously went through.
          Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
            Personally, I think it's really sad when anyone dies . . .
            Now if there is any Irish listening wouldn't the thing to do would be to have a Wake? Like, have a loud and noisy party, preferably with George's body nearby so he can hear all the revellry and it may wake him up if by chance he is actually not really dead? If he is dead he stays schtum.

I think go for it, enjoy life, make choices about what it is about, and celebrate your friends.

I mean, I do believe really ;-)

A witness to the fey, light-footed, bonkers George

Pg

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
              You're spot on. Regardless of financial status everyone has the right to have the opportunity of a transplant, but like Chillitt says there's also got to be a willing attitude (quit smoking / drinking etc). What upsets a lot of people is that after he received a second chance at life he messed up big time.

The flip side of the coin though is that addiction can come in many forms and even with tremendous amounts of help it can still be impossible to cope with and fight against.

Personally, I think it's really sad when anyone dies, and I think it's even sadder when someone's life is marred and finally ended by a struggle the likes of which George Best obviously went through.
              Well put
              nothing is ever simple in life
              I would like to say all due respect to George Best he had to tread new ground where nobody had been before i.e
              His phenomenal footballing skills led him to be spotlighted as the most uniquely talented player of his time combined with the fact that he was a teenager at a time when teenagers at that time (1968) could relate to his persona and held him in almost superhuman esteem
              not suprisingly being a mere human being he was overwhelmed by his Iconic status and the huge amount of money unprecedented for a footballer or any sportsman he succumbed to the pressures and temptations he was faced with
              is it any wonder he led the lifestyle he did
              I have the utmost respect for the man as to my knowledge he never whinged about the cr*p that comes with that lifestyle i.e intrusions of privacy/bad press/mud slinging/people selling their stories for big money to the gutter press and there was a lot of it down the years
              More telling is the interview he gave to a long term friend in the press in which he made clear he did not expect or want any sympathy for his predicament
              He accepted the consequences of his actions and lifestyle and would not change any of it
              As he put it why would he!
              To my mind he stands as someone we should celebrate for his unique talent not only in the field of sport but also in his ability to live life to the full and his honesty in accepting responsibilty for his own choices and actions

Comment

Jeez !!, the mans dead !!!, he lived he's life how he wanted to live it, ok, so he got another chance, and lived it again, the only way he knew how.............but he's paid the ultimate price....IN DEATH. He knew this was likely to happen, but I suppose after many years, its gotta be hard to change a lifestyle like that,and those who are cynical about the transplant, (which to be fair, I was in the past) no-one seems to add or make a point of saying that he wants to donate he's body parts and be a donor..................which is more than can be said for me at this moment in time, so in my book that makes me more selfish than the man himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy
                  Jeez !!, the mans dead !!!, he lived he's life how he wanted to live it, ok, so he got another chance, and lived it again, the only way he knew how.............but he's paid the ultimate price....IN DEATH. He knew this was likely to happen, but I suppose after many years, its gotta be hard to change a lifestyle like that,and those who are cynical about the transplant, (which to be fair, I was in the past) no-one seems to add or make a point of saying that he wants to donate he's body parts and be a donor..................which is more than can be said for me at this moment in time, so in my book that makes me more selfish than the man himself.
                  Just beat me to it Fieldsy, the bloke knew what was likely to happen but decided to live his life the way he wanted to.
                  It's called freedom of choice and there's d**n little of that left.
                  RIP Georgie

Ken
                  [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

RIP George, footballing genius. Been to Old trafford today, who's was the grey Surf on the car park?
                    We all know George battled with his demons and paid the price at 59, but before people play judge and juror, take a look in the mirror and ask just how perfect you are. All those without faults sign their names below!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X