Transmission Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Leak

I've had a transmission leak on the truck now for some time - Got underneath it on Saturday and decided to do something about it

I have found the leak - Its on the pipe going into the offside (drivers) side of the radiator.

If you follow it from the rad it starts as a rubber pipe and then goes into a metal one that has a few right angle bends in it the leak is on one of the bends (the second one if that helps).

I tried to get the pipe off but cant. Where it joins what i think is the transmission box (underneath the truck roughly in the middle) i cant undo it - don't want to put too much pressure on it for risk of breaking.

I then attempted to solder it.

A few burns and lots of solder later it seemed to be fixed - previously on tick over it was pi##ing out, creating a flood of oil an a couple of minutes. now there was nothing. I had also changed the coolant so took it for a run up the motorway and back to get it hot and make sure everything was ok again.

Coolant is fine but the leak has re-appeared! its now not as bad as before but is still leaking

Is it that i haven't fully covered the hole or is it that solder isn't the tool to use?

Any suggestions on how to stop the leak greatly appreciated

I am considering soldering again - then plastering in no-nails and anything else i can find!!

HELP!!!

Joe112
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Have you tried using a bigger soldering iron?

hehe. Sorry, Did you empty the tube of fluid before you soldered it?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Have you tried using a bigger soldering iron?

hehe. Sorry, Did you empty the tube of fluid before you soldered it?

nope.... couldn't get the pipe off so couldn't empty it

I did give it a good wipe down though - there was no oil where i was soldering!

Comment

Maybe try some of that leak fix stuff. Just make sure the area is de-greased well first tho'.
        It's normally next to the bodyfiller in motorists shops. You can get it in a mix together paste, or as a putty. It's supposed to work on radiators so It should work on your pipe.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 22 November 2005, 14:44.

Comment

have just sopke to my mate at Altrincham Auto Services - He has recomennded JB Weld as a sealent for the pipe am just gettin a price on it now!!

hmm Just got off the phone - not any in for a week - Looks like i'll be gettin a few more burns tonight!!

Comment

Any motor factors should sell JB weld, even Halfords may do it or an equivalent.

Comment

Working...
            X