propane/butane tech....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propane/butane tech....

I've got a Clarke space heater in the garage, but its not working properly. I resuced it out of a skip (which may be a clue!!!) but I put a new fuse in the plug and it seems to work to a degree.

I hooked it up to a calor butane (blue) bottle, and fired it up, but the fan kept blowing the flame out, if I block 1/2 the back vents it stays lit but doesn't make much heat. Then I noticed the regulator was only so many milibars, so swapped it for another that I think was over 1 bar. This made it work better, and make more heat, and will stay on for about 1/4 hour. But once its gone out, it'll only stay lit if you hold the primer button in (the one you hold in for 30 secs when starting)

I've just noticed in the machine mart book, they only mention propane for the heaters, is this my problem? are they that different?

Or maybe it should go back in the skip!!!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

I had the same problem. It is the gas. You need the orage bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

PIKEY
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

if you can get a 2 bar propane bottle you shouldent have any problems with it i have got a 50 kg bottle and that lasts for months
        I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

I've just noticed in the machine mart book, they only mention propane for the heaters, is this my problem? are they that different?

Yep, its probably the gas thats the problem - you should be using propane (orange bottle) .I've got some if you haven't and want to test the heater before buying a bottle (or going on another bindiving expedition!)
          Mind you I'm not sure that I would be brave enough to use a space heater rescued from a skip - they can be lethal cos they give out lethal fumes and/or blow up!
          I'm in all day tomorrow as I've been oof work for the last 2.5 week with a knackered back - going back on Wednesday though. Then I will be in evenings/weekends.
          Send me an email or pm to arrange a test - I'll stand a safe distance away!!
          Keith

Comment

I've got one of them parafin greenhouse heaters in my workshop, just enough to keep the chill off. Marvelous!

Comment

take more than stinky smoke to stop me...
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I've got a Clarke space heater in the garage, but its not working properly. I resuced it out of a skip (which may be a clue!!!) but I put a new fuse in the plug and it seems to work to a degree.

I hooked it up to a calor butane (blue) bottle, and fired it up, but the fan kept blowing the flame out, if I block 1/2 the back vents it stays lit but doesn't make much heat. Then I noticed the regulator was only so many milibars, so swapped it for another that I think was over 1 bar. This made it work better, and make more heat, and will stay on for about 1/4 hour. But once its gone out, it'll only stay lit if you hold the primer button in (the one you hold in for 30 secs when starting)

yes mate a lot different & it depends what pressure yours was designed for - it also sounds as if your flame supervision or oxy analiser if it has one is susspect, if you aint in too much of a rush I am passing monday week and then again dec 27/28th I would be pleased to check it out for you as gas is me game
                get back to me PM or email if I can help
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

Originally posted by s2-wolf
                  Yep, its probably the gas thats the problem - you should be using propane (orange bottle) .I've got some if you haven't and want to test the heater before buying a bottle (or going on another bindiving expedition!)
                  Mind you I'm not sure that I would be brave enough to use a space heater rescued from a skip - they can be lethal cos they give out lethal fumes and/or blow up!
                  I'm in all day tomorrow as I've been oof work for the last 2.5 week with a knackered back - going back on Wednesday though. Then I will be in evenings/weekends.
                  Send me an email or pm to arrange a test - I'll stand a safe distance away!!
                  Cheers mate, that would be good!

It came from where I used to work, they tossed it out cos nothing happened when they turned it on. So I took it home, unjammed the fan motor and put a new fuse in!!

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                    yes mate a lot different & it depends what pressure yours was designed for - it also sounds as if your flame supervision or oxy analiser if it has one is susspect, if you aint in too much of a rush I am passing monday week and then again dec 27/28th I would be pleased to check it out for you as gas is me game
                    get back to me PM or email if I can help
                    I'll see if it works OK on S2-wolfs propane bottle first, if not then I'll let you know, they are over £200 in machine mart, so if I can rescue it, it would be a bonus!

Comment

OK will wait to hear from you, am going up - but in a hurry on sat a.m. so would need to know by then and also how to find you! so I could pick it up on the return leg (M3 southbound) - is this the giant beast - how big?
                      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                        OK will wait to hear from you, am going up - but in a hurry on sat a.m. so would need to know by then and also how to find you! so I could pick it up on the return leg (M3 southbound) - is this the giant beast - how big?
                        Nah, it only ikkle

This is the one......

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010412118

Comment

Nah, it only ikkle

This is the one......

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010412118

think it will just go in a surf
                          Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X