In Car Instant Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deviant 1
    Got up this morning and set out for work at 05:00hrs. Absolutly BL**DY FREEZING. once at work, the temp gauge was still on cold and internal heaters still......................... ............COLD.

When i was shopping the other day, I saw a in-car heater that plugs into the cig lighter socket. Basically, it's a mini hair drier that sits on your dash and blows hot air through the vents from an element inside.

ANY GOOD ????? or a waste of money ???

They were in Woolworths priced @ £7.99.

Link to em

http://www.space-heaters.net/car/car-heaters.html

How long is your journey? I usually have controls set to cold but coming back from a late shift in freezing cold/fog last night I zoomed it up to the top....absoloutely toasting after a mile or so. Maybe your thermostat is buggered?

Comment

I ahve a similar problem - My Heaters never warm up - the temp gauge reads normal after about 3-4 mins and everything runs ok

I have recently stripped off the air con components from under the bonnet (didn't touch the heater matrix under the dash)

Any Suggestions??

Thanks

Joe112
      Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

They normally get toasty in a few miles, check your heater control cable to the valve on the bulkhead is OK, then check all the flaps are OK and blows air, then you need to look at flushing or replacing the matrix (assuming the hose going the heater valve is hot)
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Kenlow do a mains powered heating system that gently warms the cars water system. It fits between the top exit water pipe from the engine and the heater matrix.

It uses the warm water rising/ cold water sinking as a way of flowing warm water around the engine. When you start up in the morning just unplug from the mains and drive away in an easy to start warm car.

There is one fitted on the better halfs disco but my 3rd gen still warms up to running temp within two miles so not bothered fitting on to mine.

Fish
          If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            They normally get toasty in a few miles, check your heater control cable to the valve on the bulkhead is OK, then check all the flaps are OK and blows air, then you need to look at flushing or replacing the matrix (assuming the hose going the heater valve is hot)
            heater control cable is fine - checked it on saturday co thats happened before - Its got no chance of coming off now I've twisted the stick out thing it pushes onto into a loop so you'd need pliers to get it off!!

Do you mean the flaps in the dash?? if so there ok aswell

how do i flush and repace the matrix - I've just flushed and replaced the coolant (whilst on the subject is a 60% antifreeze mix correct - with anti corrosion stuff) but the problem was there before i did this

finally wich hose is it i need to chech is getting hot - is it the one on the nearside of the engine bay - just below where the air con one goes in aswell

Cheers tony! (any news on Fuel cat yet!)
            Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Fish
              Kenlow do a mains powered heating system that gently warms the cars water system. It fits between the top exit water pipe from the engine and the heater matrix.

It uses the warm water rising/ cold water sinking as a way of flowing warm water around the engine. When you start up in the morning just unplug from the mains and drive away in an easy to start warm car.

There is one fitted on the better halfs disco but my 3rd gen still warms up to running temp within two miles so not bothered fitting on to mine.

Fish

A good modification to that idea is to fit one of them yellow plugs that you get for 110volt equipment. Then you could just drive off and the plug will pop out.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish
                Kenlow do a mains powered heating system that gently warms the cars water system. When you start up in the morning just unplug from the mains and drive away in an easy to start warm car.
                I can see that going wrong one morning. I used to live on boats and it was staggering how often people would forget to unplug their electric cable when they left the moorings. Creak, ping, crackle, glug!

Given an infinite amount of time and an infinite number of hungover monkeys, everything is inevitable....
                PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Comment

I drive 14 kms to work, usually takes around 10 minutes. Temperature gauge never moves from cold (Even installed new temp switch) Once warm, the heating is roasting though.

Don't really want to leave vehicle running at that time of the morning cause it would even make me complain !

The Truck don't need de-mistin as its sheltered , Its just the heat i need first thing.
                  !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant 1
                    I drive 14 kms to work, usually takes around 10 minutes. Temperature gauge never moves from cold (Even installed new temp switch) Once warm, the heating is roasting though.

Don't really want to leave vehicle running at that time of the morning cause it would even make me complain !

The Truck don't need de-mistin as its sheltered , Its just the heat i need first thing.
                    Cheap & Cheerfull.......when you make your morning cuppa or 'er indoors, empty the remainder from the kettle into a hot water bottle - in the motor - on the lap - hand & nut warmer!!!!! cosy!
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

Working...
                    X