OMG Nearly Killed Myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG Nearly Killed Myself!

Sorry guys, this aint gonna be upbeat, but just wanted to share this with you all.

Was on my way into work yesterday morning when I hit a patch of ice. I was doing at least 50mph and completely lost control. I ended up first of all in the lane of oncoming traffic (thankfully there wasn't any - otherwise I'm sure I'd have been dead) - then I tried to compensate and oversteered and ended up sliding sideways across in front of the traffic that I'd just been overtaking. At one point I swear that I was on two wheel sliding sideways (I really thought that I was going to roll my truck). I eventually came to a halt a few inches from the crash barrier on the left side of the road. Looking out of my passenger window I could see there was a very worried looking man who had just managed to stop his motor inches from my passenger door.

Came away from the whole thing unscathed physically, but majorly shook up mentally.
    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Someone must be watching over you...

Comment

Ooooo sounded nasty. glad all turned out alright.
      lets go get dirty...

Comment

glad to hear that you got out safely but did it seem to happen in slow motion and when you stopped all you could here is the radio and blowers on full blast
        and maybe sitting a couple of inches higher if catch my drift
        NO LONGER A SURFER NOW DRIVING A LEXUS

Comment

Glad you are not hurt. Winter survival pack:
          • Shovel
          • Warm coat
          • Water
          • Food
          • Snow mats
          • Tow rope
          • Change of underpants!
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by surfboyshaun
            glad to hear that you got out safely but did it seem to happen in slow motion and when you stopped all you could here is the radio and blowers on full blast
            and maybe sitting a couple of inches higher if catch my drift
            Bizarely no. I know what you mean though - about ten years ago I was vewry nearly involved in a motorway pile up on the M62 - on that occassion everything did go in slow motion. This time everything seemed to go so quickly.

At the time I didn't feel too bad, more relieved than anything - as the crash barrier came closer I was thinking about the new 'A' Bar I'd fitted last weekend!!

Afterward I just threw her into reverse, pulled and then drove off. It wasn't till I got to work I think that the shock hit home. Couldn't concentrate at all that morning - went to pub at lunch time and that helped. But at night when I drove home all my confidense had evaporated - ended up driving the 50 miles home like a proverbial granny!!

Comment

Knock it into 2nd and nail the throttle!

Glad you OK, was playing games with heavily frosted back roads around Kiddermister this morning, but its much more fun when your expecting it.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                Knock it into 2nd and nail the throttle!

Glad you OK, was playing games with heavily frosted back roads around Kiddermister this morning, but its much more fun when your expecting it.
                Hi Tony, good to hear from you mate. Hope you and Linda are well.

Sounds like I need to do some practicing eh!!

Comment

Always a worry and one can never be fully prepared for the unpredictable. Like everyone else says, main thing is you are ok AND as a bonus you now know your heart is in good shape as well.

Some consolation is that if you do hit something in such a vehicle. you have a good chance as its built like a tank.

Al
                  I used to have a surf me!

Comment

In winter when temps below freezing, i always drive to assume there is ice on the road, after a slip last year, on a road that had been gritted. but unfortunately you cant assume every metre of road has been gritted and no ice. - i.e. take it easy on bends etc
                    very scary when it happens - esp in a 2 ton heavy thing!!
                    Landcruiser Colorado
                    Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
                    X