Diesel Pumps and Spare Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Pumps and Spare Bulbs

All my previous cars were petrol, and filling up at any forecourt was a breeze. Since getting my wonderful Surf I've noticed that on every diesel pump, when you hold the nozzle it’s covered in diesel! This means that after filling, my right hand stinks. Is this just the work of messy truckers - or is there a more plausible reason?

Secondly - I changed one of my break light bulbs today and was chatting to a few people about it. Is it law that you have to carry a spare bulb with you at all times when on the road? I thought this was only when in other European countries. If anyone could shed light on what the law is here I'd be most grateful.
    [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

They were talking about bringing that bulb law in. At the moment as far as I remember it is only recommended not mandatory in UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Slate8
      All my previous cars were petrol, and filling up at any forecourt was a breeze. Since getting my wonderful Surf I've noticed that on every diesel pump, when you hold the nozzle it’s covered in diesel! This means that after filling, my right hand stinks. Is this just the work of messy truckers - or is there a more plausible reason?

Secondly - I changed one of my break light bulbs today and was chatting to a few people about it. Is it law that you have to carry a spare bulb with you at all times when on the road? I thought this was only when in other European countries. If anyone could shed light on what the law is here I'd be most grateful.

As far as the diesel is concerned, use some of the paper rag they have in those plastic containers and hold the pump with that, or those plastic gloves they provide. I do it everytime.

It is NOT a legal requirment to hold spare bulbs. If a light is fitted it HAS to work, even ones you add yourself. If you get stopped by the police for a defective light you can say that it has only just blown. If they are funny about it they will give you a ticket asking you to fix the defect within seven days. I'm not sure if you go to a police station to show them it's working, or get it done at an MOT station though. Lights are my pet hate. If one goes I have to go straight to a garage and get a bulb. But the Surfs are pretty bad when it comes to changing bulbs. I haven't done one yet in mine. My Military Defender's lights just unscrew. Even the headlights are just a push and turn effort to remove them. Only takes 5 seconds on any light on that to change the bulbs. Wish the Surf was as easy.

Comment

Working...
      X