Engine pictures and diagrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine pictures and diagrams

As some of you may have gathered from my previous posts, I am a complete dumbass novice when it comes to doing any work on the car other than taking it through a drive-thru wash. However, as all real men should, I wish to start doing some minor work on my own smurf. Not because I'm a cheapskate but for the sheer convenience of being able to carry out my own service. I have found when I owned previous cars that services were constantly put back because I didn't have the time to go to a garage.

I was wondering if anyone had diagrams of the engine and what the different components etc are. The forum is really useful and i wouldn't know half the thing about the surf without forum experts help. However, when it comes to things like servicing i.e changing oil, filter etc (which I have never done before), it helps to have something to visualise. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't know a sump from a fuel pump. Would it be worth me getting a handbook?

Lots of info here to get you started...

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/24table.htm

Comment

there's also a lot of info in the FAQ sention about serviceing..

Carrying out a routine 5000km service is fairly easy - change oil change fuel/oil/air filter grease - a few checks and your done

Be careful not to do as some have done though - make sure when you drain the engine oil it IS the engine oil and not the transmission!!!

If its red its wrong!
      Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

40 years as an engineer-----and I still get oil running down my sleeve.
        First and before starting put down a large drip tray,oil containers etc can be
        placed inside it,then go for it.

Comment

www.showmesome.info/hilux Codlord's site is good for bits and bobs
          Morr's FAQ site is a mine of info but cant find the link at the mo...
          and of course the search button is handy......

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
            www.showmesome.info/hilux Codlord's site is good for bits and bobs
            Morr's FAQ site is a mine of info but cant find the link at the mo...
            and of course the search button is handy......

here go Morr's faq site http://www.emptyearth.obriencomputers.com/
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Air filter is easy, just undo the clips (don't need any tools) by hand and lift the top off.

The oil filter is harder if you don't know what your doing. But it's the filter on top of the engine on the right hand side. This just unscrews anti-clockwise/clockwise tighten. You might need a filter tool (a belt or bike chain looking tool) to loosen it off. The drain plug is on the very bottom of the engine. The transmission sump is flat like a roasting tray, and is behind the engine sump.

The diesel filter is harder still and is on the passenger side bulkhead. How to do this is on this site. http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelfilter.htm

When you change the filters write or etch the mileage and the date onto the filter housing.

I use genuine part filters as a matter of choice. The oil filter has a one way valve fitted inside it. I've found this isn't fitted to pattern part oil filters. So if anything, buy a Toyota engine oil filter, and use pattern part filters for the rest. I've had bad experiences using pattern parts in the past, so I only use genuine parts. It's a lot dearer I know, but at least I know it's going to fit and it's designed for the truck. Other people will have a different view, but hey.
              Last edited by M35A2; 18 November 2005, 18:33.

Comment

I've got a different view. The oil filter on the 2.4 is down on the drivers side of the engine, accessible from the wheel arch.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu
                  As some of you may have gathered from my previous posts, I am a complete dumbass novice when it comes to doing any work on the car other than taking it through a drive-thru wash. However, as all real men should, I wish to start doing some minor work on my own smurf. Not because I'm a cheapskate but for the sheer convenience of being able to carry out my own service. I have found when I owned previous cars that services were constantly put back because I didn't have the time to go to a garage.

I was wondering if anyone had diagrams of the engine and what the different components etc are. The forum is really useful and i wouldn't know half the thing about the surf without forum experts help. However, when it comes to things like servicing i.e changing oil, filter etc (which I have never done before), it helps to have something to visualise. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't know a sump from a fuel pump. Would it be worth me getting a handbook?
                  Hi mate, I'm not going provide direction, but hopefully encouragement.

I've had my baby for about a year now. Before having my Surf, I hadn't done any kind of maintenance on a car since I was a teenager - almost 20 years.

That's changed big time. Started off doing stuff to my Surf out of necessity when I imported it, like changing the speedo face, fitting the fog lamp, and then giving it a service (oil change, fuel filter change, air filer change). And, it's just gone on from there. Since then I've done all sorts of stuff including fitting a two tank veg oil system and fitting uprated rear shox.

The last few times I've changed the oil it's taken no more than half an hour to do. Like Foggy says they, you need to be happy to get dirty - pretty much everything you do will involve getting mucky.

Back in September I paid Linda and TonyN a visit and paid Tony to do a major service on my motor. He allowed me to watch and to learn all that went on. I now feel pretty self sufficient in terms of maintenance.

If I can do it then anyone can!

Hope you have as much fun with your Surf as I have had with mine.
                  Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Working...
                  X