No announcement yet.

Name that tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally drill progressively larger holes with progressively larger drills until I'm able to collapse the remaining thread of the now hollow stud, in on itself.
    Or if you do buy stud extractors / easi-outs , buy the most expensive - as these will be made of a very hard tool steel.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

I normally drill out sheared bolts as 'easy outs' , as I know them to be called , always break off giving you twice the greif . If you drill just off centre and then progress up in drill size you will get to a point where you can collapse the rest of the bolt in without damaging the threads . If you do catch the threads it will only be in one place because you have drilled off centre .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
        ...... as 'easy outs' , as I know them to be called , always break off giving you twice the greif . .......
        Look out for another design, I have a set of Rigid brand extractors. You drill the broken screw/stud as normal, then hammer in a splined shaft, slide a hex fitting over the protruding splines and remove with a normal spanner/socket.
        Rarely let me down (ocasionally slip in the drilled hole) but never shear off leaving you with more trouble.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I'v heard a left handed drill bit works very well. Drill with lots of pressure and very often the broken bolt/stud will unscrew while drilling. One problem though. Where to buy left handed drills ???

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
            Look out for another design, I have a set of Rigid brand extractors. You drill the broken screw/stud as normal, then hammer in a splined shaft, slide a hex fitting over the protruding splines and remove with a normal spanner/socket.
            Rarely let me down (ocasionally slip in the drilled hole) but never shear off leaving you with more trouble.
            I've got these, they work great, and feel a little more rubust than the screw in ones, especially in small sizes. But both work OK if your careful.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

easy outs when i was a lad too matt
              but stud extactors ect now
              Enjoying Life after Cancer
              Pops

Comment

lots of helpful advice, but matts just trying to finish the crossword in a 1985 motorcycle news....
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                  lots of helpful advice, but matts just trying to finish the crossword in a 1985 motorcycle news....
                  was that the kids quick crossword Matt was doing
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                  X