rover v8 to surf g/box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rover v8 to surf g/box

hi guys i think i have come up with a solution to the rover v8 to surf auto box conversion.i managed to get hold of a landy v8 bell housing im gonna cut it in half and then cut down the surf bell housing and graft it on.i will let you know how i get on.
    www.overfab.uk

Originally posted by vatchman
    hi guys i think i have come up with a solution to the rover v8 to surf auto box conversion.i managed to get hold of a landy v8 bell housing im gonna cut it in half and then cut down the surf bell housing and graft it on.i will let you know how i get on.
    Thats how they are generally made, be sure to line them up properly, and get the depth right for the torque convertor to meet the flex plate.

Make sure you make a jig so we can make others easily.

Good luck drilling the Rover flex plate to accept the surf torque converter! that on hard peice of spring steel!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

would i be right in assuming that it doesnt matter where i cut the bell housing as long as the overall length is the same i.e surf bellhousing.when i reweld it as long as it is still the same lengh then everything should fit.what would you recommend to drill the spring plate.[diamond drill bits]if that all makes sense
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Drill on a slow speed with a sharp drill bit with plenty of cutting fluid.

Comment

next question .are the surf engine mounts the same as the hilux mount.if so would it be possible to use these from a v8 fitting kit that comes from the hilux.also do you have to modify the sump coz mine has been modded to fit the cortina[the donor car].
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Drill on a slow speed with a sharp drill bit with plenty of cutting fluid.
            ok will do.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

I've heard of people who drill leaf springs using a sharpened mansonary bit, going slow with plenty of cutting oil.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                I've heard of people who drill leaf springs using a sharpened mansonary bit, going slow with plenty of cutting oil.
                ok cheers tony.ive got some cobalt bits in me tool box,so i will give them a try first then try the masonary bit.any advice on the mounts and sump?
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

ok cheers tony.ive got some cobalt bits in me tool box,so i will give them a try first then try the masonary bit.any advice on the mounts and sump?
                  I think Real Steel in Uxbridge do 3 universal Rover V8 engine mounts with the choice of position for engine to go forward or back on Hilux pick up chassis . From wot I read on Yotatech site in USA they just cut off the ones on chassis and mount the engine where they feel it sits best and then weld mounts back on chassis . As for sump , it may be a case of fit the engine and see where it fouls !
                  Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                    I think Real Steel in Uxbridge do 3 universal Rover V8 engine mounts with the choice of position for engine to go forward or back on Hilux pick up chassis . From wot I read on Yotatech site in USA they just cut off the ones on chassis and mount the engine where they feel it sits best and then weld mounts back on chassis . As for sump , it may be a case of fit the engine and see where it fouls !
                    nice one,thanks for the info,ive looked at rimmer bros they do s***loads for the rover v8 but no conversion kits.v8 engineering do a load of kits too.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

nice one,thanks for the info,ive looked at rimmer bros they do s***loads for the rover v8 but no conversion kits.v8 engineering do a load of kits too.
                      Thinking about this a bit more , it would seem to me that if using the Surf box that this will determine the engine position as the box will be in original position in chassis . How will the Surf autobox ECU mate with the engine as I believe it needs input from engine sensors ? or not ?
                      You will also need to get the vaccum pipes set up for 4WD and ADD
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thinking about this a bit more , it would seem to me that if using the Surf box that this will determine the engine position as the box will be in original position in chassis . How will the Surf autobox ECU mate with the engine as I believe it needs input from engine sensors ? or not ?
                        mmmmm.ive thought about the vaccum pipes,i was going to split this from the servo vaccum pipe were it enter into the rover manifold,but im not sure about the sensor,anyone know.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

When Milner did rover kits you had different mounts depending on whether you had a 4 or 5 speed box.
                          You don't have a lot of room between the left hand rocker cover and the handbrake mount (I moved mine up the bulkhead about 2") and the rad at the front.

Not sure a about gearbox inputs, it definatly needs a engine temp input, to get it shift properly. Where it'll just work, or go into limp mode will depend if you need to get electrical on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            When Milner did rover kits you had different mounts depending on whether you had a 4 or 5 speed box.
                            You don't have a lot of room between the left hand rocker cover and the handbrake mount (I moved mine up the bulkhead about 2") and the rad at the front.

Not sure a about gearbox inputs, it definatly needs a engine temp input, to get it shift properly. Where it'll just work, or go into limp mode will depend if you need to get electrical on it.

MMMM.BIT OF A DILEMA,DO I FIDDLE AROUND AND GET THE SURF BOX MOUNTED ONLY TO FIND THAT IT NEEDS ELECTRICS AND DONT GO PROPERLY OR DO I JUST REAR WHEEL DRIVE IT A FIT THE C63 BOX THATS ALREADY MOUNTED TO THE V8.ITS A GOOD STRONG BOX.NOT ONLY THAT I WILL NO DOUBT SAVE A LEAST A HUNDRED KILOS ON WEIGHT BY REMOVING THE DIESEL ENGINE ,TRANSFER CASE AND BOX.THEN THERES ALWAYS THE NOS KIT .THE SURF BOX MAY BE ABLE TO TAKE THE POWER OF THE V8,BUT WILL IT COPE WITH THE NOS TO.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

While it goes against the grain to say, if you're your not going to miss 4wd, the engine and box you've got is probably the easist way to go, you'd only need to mess with the gearbox crossmember, engine mounts, and then alter prop shaft to suit.

MMMM.BIT OF A DILEMA,DO I FIDDLE AROUND AND GET THE SURF BOX MOUNTED ONLY TO FIND THAT IT NEEDS ELECTRICS AND DONT GO PROPERLY OR DO I JUST REAR WHEEL DRIVE IT A FIT THE C63 BOX THATS ALREADY MOUNTED TO THE V8.ITS A GOOD STRONG BOX.NOT ONLY THAT I WILL NO DOUBT SAVE A LEAST A HUNDRED KILOS ON WEIGHT BY REMOVING THE DIESEL ENGINE ,TRANSFER CASE AND BOX.THEN THERES ALWAYS THE NOS KIT .THE SURF BOX MAY BE ABLE TO TAKE THE POWER OF THE V8,BUT WILL IT COPE WITH THE NOS TO.

Comment

Working...
                              X