rover v8 to surf g/box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyN
    While it goes against the grain to say, if you're your not going to miss 4wd, the engine and box you've got is probably the easist way to go, you'd only need to mess with the gearbox crossmember, engine mounts, and then alter prop shaft to suit.
    well having thought about it now,i think your right tony.im afraid its going to have to go rear wheel drive.its gonna be a lot less agro than sorting out the surfs auto box,pity really.while im at it i think i will de tune the rover lump as well,after all i dont want it to keep ripping half shafts and prop shafts in half.i should still be able to have fun off road.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

A shame really to drop the 4wd . I personnaly think it would be a good investment of time to develop the Rover to Surf auto gearbox bell housing . As the value of vehicles fall the chance of picking up a Surf with a cracked head cheap is becomming a reality . SORRY if that upsets any 2.4 owners but I am in the buissness of vehicle values every week , and they are not going up. So if a Surf with a blown head is cheap enough you may find people who would consider the V8 option as would work out a good off road vehicle for a little work and a lot of fun.
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
        A shame really to drop the 4wd . I personnaly think it would be a good investment of time to develop the Rover to Surf auto gearbox bell housing . As the value of vehicles fall the chance of picking up a Surf with a cracked head cheap is becomming a reality . SORRY if that upsets any 2.4 owners but I am in the buissness of vehicle values every week , and they are not going up. So if a Surf with a blown head is cheap enough you may find people who would consider the V8 option as would work out a good off road vehicle for a little work and a lot of fun.
        yes it is a shame,but the surf is my daily runner and i need it up and running as soon as poss really.if it was"nt for the electronics,[why have they got to complicate things].i think it would of been a viable project.but i just havnt the time to put aside to sort it out.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

just to show how little i know,,,
          why not use gearbox /transfer case out of a range rover?
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            just to show how little i know,,,
            why not use gearbox /transfer case out of a range rover?
            From wot I understand from Tony the Guru , the output of the Rangey box is in the wrong place to mate up to the Toy axles . I will look into that one if/when I Rover V8 my Runner .
            Plus the Rangey boxes suffer from quill shaft failier and just stop .

Comment

had a word with my auto electrical friend .he said that if i get him a wiring diagram of the g/box ecu he will try and see whats needed and whats not.so all is not completely lost.i will wait and see what he recommends,before i call out the grim reaper.there maybe hope yet.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Seen this one on flea d'bay , Not sure if he used a pick up gearbox but it is manual not auto which you wanted to do.But shows how well it can be done.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                  Seen this one on flea d'bay , Not sure if he used a pick up gearbox but it is manual not auto which you wanted to do.But shows how well it can be done.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-S...QQcmdZViewItem
                  that look pretty good,the thing is ,i kept on blowing every manual box up that i fitted to my engine ,so thats why i went for the auto option.but i guess that wouldnt be an issue in the truck,as i dont intend on racing it,so a manual box could be the answer,so many options,so little time.ouch my head hurts.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Have you tried LA SUPERTRUCKS? I think they are based in Daventry. A guy I know is putting a 3.9 EFI Range Rover V8 into his Toyota pickup monster truck.

If you call interpart and ask for Chris the owner, he will be able to give you the number. He is the guy building the monster truck, he might be able to help you.

http://www.interpart.biz/

Comment

Working...
                    X