Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended garages

Just an idea people!
    Could we not get a list together of recommended independent garages that Surfers could use for repairs etc. As we all know big savings can be made by useing them, instead of main dealers who charge top wack.
    I have used one such garage in Glos to do my head and they did a damn good job, charging half the price of the local toyota agent.

Is this a silly idea or not?
    Regards
    Tich

Originally posted by tich
    Just an idea people!
    Could we not get a list together of recommended independent garages that Surfers could use for repairs etc. As we all know big savings can be made by useing them, instead of main dealers who charge top wack.
    I have used one such garage in Glos to do my head and they did a damn good job, charging half the price of the local toyota agent.

Is this a silly idea or not?
    Regards
    Tich

It,s a good idea if they give us a discount for reccomending them .
    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

I think it is a great idea
      Conker
      [center] [/center]

Comment

Fab idea!

I need a cam belt change and oil change ( 100,000 kms) but don't really want to take it along to the Toyota Dealer.

Anyone know of a mechanic who can do a great job on the Surf around the Eastbourne area?

chaz
        xx
        Last edited by beach surfer; 1 December 2003, 16:09.

Comment

Yeah, me too - need to find a place in Hampshire/West Sussex preferably near Portsmouth or Basingstoke if anyone knows of any...
          No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by beach surfer
            Fab idea!

I need a cam belt change and oil change ( 100,000 kms) but don't really want to take it along to the Toyota Dealer.

Anyone know of a mechanic who can do a great job on the Surf around the Eastbourne area?

chaz
            xx
            If you contact Steve at AVS his mechanic will be able to do it , they sell all sorts of imports including Surfs .

01323-646909

www.avs-motors.com
            Last edited by andy; 1 December 2003, 19:02.

Comment

Cambelt Change .....read on...

I have a friend who by coincidence is a trained mechanic, ran his own garage for a while, and currently does work on the side from home. He also does a bit of buying and selling, and currently works for one of the major reovery companies. So far so good.

Earlier this year he saw an H reg Surf on a forecourt and after giving it the once over he bought it. It looked in A1 condition, and actually prompted me to get one. I did the research, he hadn't. I saw him ask the landlord for a bottle of water one night...hmmm?

Anyway, being a busy chap, he decided to ask one of his trade friends to fit a new cam belt, just to be on the safe side. 200 miles later the belt disintegrated, destroying the head and umpteen other parts....hmmm?

They pulled everything apart and everything pointed to the belt being faulty. They rang the belt manufacturers and were told to go ahead with the repairs as they would sort out the bill....hmmm?

The final bill was over £1200, and he just heard yesterday that the manufacturers are now refusing to pay up. He is not a happy man.

Whose cam belt was it? In order to avoid litigation I would rather not say, so you will have to Queue Here for some time if you want to find out. Maybe the Toyota parts aren't such a bad deal after all, anyone had one main dealer fitted, and know what the cost was??

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Understand what your saying Rob but I sourced and got all the parts myself from reputed independent parts suppliers and main Toyota dealers. The new head was from Rough Trax in Bristol which was a complete head, cam shaft valves etc and I must say that thier service was impecable. The problem I have with main dealers (Toyota) is the unacceptable charges they make for doing the job!. In my case they quoted me £2800 for parts and labour. Buying the parts myself off the internet cost just under £900 and the garage that did the job charged me £300. In total £1200. Again, they did a damn good job and I`m a marine enginner by trade. so I think I know a good job when I see one. The reason I got them to do the job is because I simply didn`t have the time.

Tich

Comment

Hi

Does anyone know of a good garage in the Birmingham area. Toyota dealer is quoting £332 for a service!
                  [font=Comic Sans MS][i][size=+3][color=red][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size][/i][/font]

[b][size=+2]1992 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO[/b][/size]

Comment

If anyone knows of a good garage in the Dumfries area for servicing etc,I would be grateful,ta.