starting the 2.4 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting the 2.4 diesel

Hi, I am not new to diesels but found this morning my surf which i bought only yesterday was reluctant to start. I waited for the heater light to go out then cranked her over. Plenty of cranking power fromn the batts but no willingness to burst into life. Eventually I pumped the pedal a coupla times and she spluttered into life.

Normal? or is there an accepted "procedure" or do i need to be looking for new glow plugs or anything.

Thanx to you fine folks in advance.

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Originally posted by phoebelala
    Hi, I am not new to diesels but found this morning my surf which i bought only yesterday was reluctant to start. I waited for the heater light to go out then cranked her over. Plenty of cranking power fromn the batts but no willingness to burst into life. Eventually I pumped the pedal a coupla times and she spluttered into life.

Normal? or is there an accepted "procedure" or do i need to be looking for new glow plugs or anything.

Thanx to you fine folks in advance.

Al.
    Try waiting for a little bit longer after the light goes out, you should be able to hear the click of the glow plug relay and then turn your key.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
      Try waiting for a little bit longer after the light goes out, you should be able to hear the click of the glow plug relay and then turn your key.

Thanx Jon, Will try that in the AM.
      We are up the A1 filming a rally in a forest this weekend and will be using the surf.

Al.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

When I start mine for the first time in the morning, I turn on ignition, and wait for the beep (the beep is after you hear the clunk) , switch off and wait for the beep again then start. Seems to give the glowplugs a bit more heat in them.

Comment

Working...
        X