Tinted Rip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinted Rip

Grr, not happy - just put a bike in the back, not quite as carefully as I should have. Something on the handle bars caught on the window tint and has ripped a fair chunk off. Not really noticeable from the outside, but looked hideous from inside.

I'm going off to have a little cry now
    [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

no problem, go find a really cool sticker, put it over the rip, carefully cut round it with a really sharp knife, peel off the damaged bit and stick the sticker in place....cured!
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Hmm, you know Chillitt, that's not a bad idea...

Finding a sticker that could be deemed "cool" could be interesting though
      [IMG]http://www.slate8.com/hiluxstuff/hilux-sig.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Slate8
        Grr, not happy - just put a bike in the back, not quite as carefully as I should have. Something on the handle bars caught on the window tint and has ripped a fair chunk off. Not really noticeable from the outside, but looked hideous from inside.

I'm going off to have a little cry now

I did the same thing when taking garden rubbish to the tip.
        I'm gonna replace mine with this as it's half the price than it is in the 'go faster' shops.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...23622&id=34668

Comment

WOW.

Screwfix do everything now it seems. That's half the price that Hellfrauds want to charge for it.

Comment

yep and it's thicker quality as well!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              yep and it's thicker quality as well!
              Hey Vince, you bought some of this?

Is it really self adhesive?

I bought some a while ago from a Motor Factors and it's the fidliest job you could imagine. Having to wet the windows with soapy water (after cleaning). Then place the cut film on the outside and cut to size. Then peel off the layer of liner. Then wet the inside of the window and apply the raw side of the film to the inside of the window. It's at this point that I started trying to pull my hair out (deliberately cut short to prevent this, but it wasn't short enought).. Eventually ripped the bl**dy thing and had a minor tantrum and threw the tint away! Figured that I'd find a 'professional' to do the job.

But if this tint is genuinely self adhesive (sticky back plastic style) then I'd really like to give it another whirl, especially at that price
              Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

It's the same as the type of film you had, but this is thicker and easier to cut and slide around to get the best fit.
                My mate got some for his Transit and it looked good quality, so Im ordering some .Plus it's half the price of the 'cheap' stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
                  Hey Vince, you bought some of this?

Is it really self adhesive?

I bought some a while ago from a Motor Factors and it's the fidliest job you could imagine. Having to wet the windows with soapy water (after cleaning). Then place the cut film on the outside and cut to size. Then peel off the layer of liner. Then wet the inside of the window and apply the raw side of the film to the inside of the window. It's at this point that I started trying to pull my hair out (deliberately cut short to prevent this, but it wasn't short enought).. Eventually ripped the bl**dy thing and had a minor tantrum and threw the tint away! Figured that I'd find a 'professional' to do the job.

But if this tint is genuinely self adhesive (sticky back plastic style) then I'd really like to give it another whirl, especially at that price
                  Hi, I know the feeling, Once tried to do the glass in a mini, Impossible!
                  You can get it reasonable on the flat glass but on curves forget it, If you
                  use this film from screw fix let us know how you get on with it,Remember
                  they used to do a sprayon tint, Bl**dy site worse than the film, My rear
                  glass is a bit messed up, Was thinking of taking it off but then every one can
                  see in, Good luck Ian
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I used that spray on tint on my first car back in the early eighties, a Hillman Avenger Tiger. I sprayed the rear light clusters with it then a few weeks after I started to notice the Audi Quatros in the Rallies havin tinted rear lights. I thought at the time that they pinched my idea,............which was nice.

p.s. To tint a Mini's rear window, the film haas to be applied in three equal horizontal strips. I've done three Minis to date.
                    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 11 November 2005, 19:09.

Comment

It's the same as the type of film you had, but this is thicker and easier to cut and slide around to get the best fit.
                      My mate got some for his Transit and it looked good quality, so Im ordering some .Plus it's half the price of the 'cheap' stuff.
                      For that price I might still give it a go.

Comment

Top Tip: Use plenty of soapy water, on the glass and on the film's sticky side before applying it to the glass. Then spray more soapy water on the back of the film before squeegee-ing it into place.

Comment

I used that spray on tint on my first car back in the early eighties, a Hillman Avenger Tiger. I sprayed the rear light clusters with it then a few weeks after I started to notice the Audi Quatros in the Rallies havin tinted rear lights. I thought at the time that they pinched my idea,............which was nice.

p.s. To tint a Mini's rear window, the film haas to be applied in three equal horizontal strips. I've done three Minis to date.
                          Hi Vince, Ill bear that in mind but doubt ill be doing any more minis, Must
                          admit i'm not a big fan of film tints especially on drop glass (like the surf rear)
                          it aways seems to scratch as the window is used, But i suppose its a lot cheaper than replacing with coloured glass, I can live without that urban
                          sporty surf stuff on the back though. Ian
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Top Tip: Use plenty of soapy water, on the glass and on the film's sticky side before applying it to the glass. Then spray more soapy water on the back of the film before squeegee-ing it into place.
                            Cheers m8. Was kind of doing that last time, but was worried that I'd wash off all of the adhesive!

I think that you were the professional I was looking for, you're just too far away!

Comment

I use rub down graphics on my units, the best tip I can give is use plenty of water, warm and with only 2 or 3 drops of washing up liquid per pint, little handy sprayers bout a quid from diy stores - smooth from centre, i have the proper squeegee but you can get away with a credit card or simillar plastic with a single covering of thin toweling or thick lint to stop it catching on the film
                              Take your time and if it needs stretching to take account of curves warm gently with a hair dryer
                              good luck!!
                              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X