• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• costco veggy price hike ??

anyone got any of the veg at Costco recently,

When i first got 20l drum there it was £8.49
    then next time £8.79

now i read on another forum its £9.60 for 20 l!!!
    after the 47.1 ppl duty thats over 95 ppl - more expensive than DERV up here! (currently 92.9 ppl)
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

I have also encountered both problems.

CostCo oil now 48p a litre in Leeds.

And got the dreaded letter from the blood sucking vampires at the Customs & Excise. Couldn't believe it - so I rang them up and had as nice a rant at them as I could - I know it's not the nice lady at the other end of the phone that's responsible for the b@stards trying to leach out every penny from me that they can.

So I wrote this:

Lesley Hellyer
    HM Revenue & Customs
    Excise Compliance Management Team
    Dobson House
    Regent House
    Gosforth
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Date: 09/11/2005

Subject: Revised Definition of Biodiesel

Dear Lesley,

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns regarding the re-classification of suitable Biodiesels. And, also to thank you for making it possible to state my own case and have this considered for continued duty at the present rate of 27.1p per litre.

As discussed, my circumstances are as follows:

I use only clean / new veg oil (rapeseed oil). This is used in my vehicle, which has been specifically converted to run on 100% pure veg oil using a two-tank system. This means that veg oil is placed in one tank and normal diesel (full duty paid) in the vehicle’s normal tank. The veg oil is not mixed with any other additive (including diesel).

I appreciate the point raised during our conversation, that in many cases pure veg oil is not considered to be a suitable fuel for some vehicles. Having researched this at some length prior to making the decision to convert my car for use with veg oil, I understand that certain types of car have unsuitable injection systems and particularly some makes of fuel pump are not suitable. However, my own vehicle is close to the top of the list in terms of cars that can be very effectively run on pure veg oil (without adverse effects). (The kit that I have was purchased from http://www.dieselveg.com/ at a cost of around £600. The cost would have been more than double that if I hadn’t fitted it myself.)

The only caveat to the above is that due to the thicker consistency of cold veg oil, it is necessary to start the vehicle on normal diesel, and run on normal diesel until operating temperature is reached. I then manually switch to using 100% veg oil. Again, prior to stopping the engine it is necessary to switch back to normal diesel for approx 1 minute in order to clear the injectors of veg oil, which may otherwise clog the system and make starting troublesome. AT NO POINT IS VEG OIL MIXED WITH DIESEL.

Given the above information I am personally convinced that the veg oil I am using satisfies the Esther and Sulphur content stipulations as stated in your attached documentation, i.e. Ester content greater than 96.5% (actually 100%) and sulphur content less than 0.005% (actually 0%).

The inescapable conclusion that this leads me to, should my own personal case be rejected, is that the government are seeking to stop people using environmentally fuels and / or are seeking to extract further taxation under false pretences.

The impacts as I see this are as follows:

Personal Impacts:

• I will no longer be able to afford to run my car if I have to pay the 47p per litre duty.
    • I have converted my own car at great personal expense (£600+ as well as many hours of my own time) – this will have been a financial waste if I can no longer afford to pay the duty.
    • Paying duty at 47p will effectively mean that I’d be paying the same price as forecourt diesel. If I could afford to pay this, then the inconvenience associated with buying, storing and transferring veg oil will almost certainly mean that I would switch back to using normal diesel. Not good for the environment eh.
    • Until a few weeks ago I had two cars. Having given myself a few months to make sure that using veg oil was viable I decided to sell my second car. I now find myself in the situation where I may be required to sell this car and buy a different more economical car, such as the one I just sold!

Wider Reaching Consequences:

• Companies such as DieselVeg (web address provided earlier), are most likely to go out of business due to the revised legislation. If we’re honest, most people want to protect the environment, but at the end of the day monetary concerns are usually a more pressing and urgent consideration. Paying over a £1000 to have a duel fuel system fitted to a car with no prospect of future cost saving is unlikely to generate enough custom to make a viable business. (I’ll copy this letter to them. I’m sure that you’ll be hearing from them in due course.)
    • I’ve discussed, with my MP, the potential opportunities that using veg oil as a fuel could bring to the British farming industry – the increased demand for rapeseed oil could be one of the best things that has happened for British farming in the last half century. Whilst, I understand that the government, in line with a number of other nations, are now establishing targets of 5% replacement of fossil fuels with renewable, environmentally friendly, fuel sources, namely veg oil (most likely to be rapeseed oil), and that users like myself only represent a tiny proportion of the overall demand, the new legislation that Revenue & Customs are introducing will prevent people like myself from participating in this market.
    • For those people like myself who may be forced to use normal diesel again, there’s the obvious impact on the environment. Twofold:
    o Whilst combustion of veg oil still produces CO2, that same CO2 is then consumed by growing more veg oil.
    o Use of forecourt diesel not only contributes to CO2 emissions, but also contributes pollutants such as heavy metals to the environment.

I hope that the above helps you and your colleagues to come to a mutually acceptable decision.

Many thanks for your attention.

Yours truly,

She said that my individual case would be considered, but currently it's looking like the end of the road for me and veg oil. Either that or I just risk getting fined. Have just sold my peugoet too. Am going to struggle to afford to run my baby on dino diesel, it'll cost me over £100 a week - just to get too and from work. Am feeling a little angry about this right now - feel like I've been really stiffed by the C&E people (recognised as governmental hench men).
    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by andycook

then next time £8.79

after the 47.1 ppl duty thats over 95 ppl - more expensive than DERV up here! (currently 92.9 ppl)

It was bound to happen sooner or later. We're just not encouraged to save the planet at all it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfCub
        I have also encountered both problems.

CostCo oil now 48p a litre in Leeds.

And got the dreaded letter from the blood sucking vampires at the Customs & Excise. Couldn't believe it - so I rang them up and had as nice a rant at them as I could - I know it's not the nice lady at the other end of the phone that's responsible for the b@stards trying to leach out every penny from me that they can.

So I wrote this:

Lesley Hellyer
        HM Revenue & Customs
        Excise Compliance Management Team
        Dobson House
        Regent House
        Gosforth
        Newcastle upon Tyne
        Date: 09/11/2005

Subject: Revised Definition of Biodiesel

Dear Lesley,

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns regarding the re-classification of suitable Biodiesels. And, also to thank you for making it possible to state my own case and have this considered for continued duty at the present rate of 27.1p per litre.

As discussed, my circumstances are as follows:

I use only clean / new veg oil (rapeseed oil). This is used in my vehicle, which has been specifically converted to run on 100% pure veg oil using a two-tank system. This means that veg oil is placed in one tank and normal diesel (full duty paid) in the vehicle’s normal tank. The veg oil is not mixed with any other additive (including diesel).

I appreciate the point raised during our conversation, that in many cases pure veg oil is not considered to be a suitable fuel for some vehicles. Having researched this at some length prior to making the decision to convert my car for use with veg oil, I understand that certain types of car have unsuitable injection systems and particularly some makes of fuel pump are not suitable. However, my own vehicle is close to the top of the list in terms of cars that can be very effectively run on pure veg oil (without adverse effects). (The kit that I have was purchased from http://www.dieselveg.com/ at a cost of around £600. The cost would have been more than double that if I hadn’t fitted it myself.)

The only caveat to the above is that due to the thicker consistency of cold veg oil, it is necessary to start the vehicle on normal diesel, and run on normal diesel until operating temperature is reached. I then manually switch to using 100% veg oil. Again, prior to stopping the engine it is necessary to switch back to normal diesel for approx 1 minute in order to clear the injectors of veg oil, which may otherwise clog the system and make starting troublesome. AT NO POINT IS VEG OIL MIXED WITH DIESEL.

Given the above information I am personally convinced that the veg oil I am using satisfies the Esther and Sulphur content stipulations as stated in your attached documentation, i.e. Ester content greater than 96.5% (actually 100%) and sulphur content less than 0.005% (actually 0%).

The inescapable conclusion that this leads me to, should my own personal case be rejected, is that the government are seeking to stop people using environmentally fuels and / or are seeking to extract further taxation under false pretences.

The impacts as I see this are as follows:

Personal Impacts:

• I will no longer be able to afford to run my car if I have to pay the 47p per litre duty.
        • I have converted my own car at great personal expense (£600+ as well as many hours of my own time) – this will have been a financial waste if I can no longer afford to pay the duty.
        • Paying duty at 47p will effectively mean that I’d be paying the same price as forecourt diesel. If I could afford to pay this, then the inconvenience associated with buying, storing and transferring veg oil will almost certainly mean that I would switch back to using normal diesel. Not good for the environment eh.
        • Until a few weeks ago I had two cars. Having given myself a few months to make sure that using veg oil was viable I decided to sell my second car. I now find myself in the situation where I may be required to sell this car and buy a different more economical car, such as the one I just sold!

Wider Reaching Consequences:

• Companies such as DieselVeg (web address provided earlier), are most likely to go out of business due to the revised legislation. If we’re honest, most people want to protect the environment, but at the end of the day monetary concerns are usually a more pressing and urgent consideration. Paying over a £1000 to have a duel fuel system fitted to a car with no prospect of future cost saving is unlikely to generate enough custom to make a viable business. (I’ll copy this letter to them. I’m sure that you’ll be hearing from them in due course.)
        • I’ve discussed, with my MP, the potential opportunities that using veg oil as a fuel could bring to the British farming industry – the increased demand for rapeseed oil could be one of the best things that has happened for British farming in the last half century. Whilst, I understand that the government, in line with a number of other nations, are now establishing targets of 5% replacement of fossil fuels with renewable, environmentally friendly, fuel sources, namely veg oil (most likely to be rapeseed oil), and that users like myself only represent a tiny proportion of the overall demand, the new legislation that Revenue & Customs are introducing will prevent people like myself from participating in this market.
        • For those people like myself who may be forced to use normal diesel again, there’s the obvious impact on the environment. Twofold:
        o Whilst combustion of veg oil still produces CO2, that same CO2 is then consumed by growing more veg oil.
        o Use of forecourt diesel not only contributes to CO2 emissions, but also contributes pollutants such as heavy metals to the environment.

I hope that the above helps you and your colleagues to come to a mutually acceptable decision.

Many thanks for your attention.

Yours truly,

She said that my individual case would be considered, but currently it's looking like the end of the road for me and veg oil. Either that or I just risk getting fined. Have just sold my peugoet too. Am going to struggle to afford to run my baby on dino diesel, it'll cost me over £100 a week - just to get too and from work. Am feeling a little angry about this right now - feel like I've been really stiffed by the C&E people (recognised as governmental hench men).

Good call!
        Can't wait to read their reply.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Good call!
          Can't wait to read their reply.
          For obvious reasons...me too!
          Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

I used too much toilet roll this morning to wipe my arse. Maybe they should tax me for that.

Comment

Weseastham this thread is a couple of years old. Things have moved on in the tax dept!

Read some more recent threads about tax and they'll say no tax if using less than 2500l a year. Still need to register etc etc.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by andycook

then next time £8.79

Costco oil has been £10.23 for 20l all year in Liverpool...
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg
                  Weseastham this thread is a couple of years old. Things have moved on in the tax dept!

Read some more recent threads about tax and they'll say no tax if using less than 2500l a year. Still need to register etc etc.

Dave
                  Ahhh. i didn't read the date. I was just searching on veggy oil.

Thanks for the info. *runs of fto costco and buys 2500litres of veg oil*

Comment

Working...
                  X