Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joe112
    I believe it stops rust
    Maybe so, but it would be a nightmare to remove when you do go to apply proper underseal and surley it would drip off all over the place.
    My 3rd gen is in Ireland 3 years now and there is not sign of rust on the bottom. I give it a good blast from the hose regularly and make sure that any muck and dirt is washed off. It's only where muck and dirt lodge that rust will form. Keep the underside of the truck clean and you won't have to worry about rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
      Maybe so, but it would be a nightmare to remove when you do go to apply proper underseal and surley it would drip off all over the place.
      My 3rd gen is in Ireland 3 years now and there is not sign of rust on the bottom. I give it a good blast from the hose regularly and make sure that any muck and dirt is washed off. It's only where muck and dirt lodge that rust will form. Keep the underside of the truck clean and you won't have to worry about rust.
      My Surf has been here since '98, and it still fine underneath, however we do have the big advantage in Ireland that they rarely grit the roads and even more rarely (if ever) use salt.

If we had the salt usage on our roads like in the UK, I'd certainly be concerned with undersealing any Jap import.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
        My Surf has been here since '98, and it still fine underneath, however we do have the big advantage in Ireland that they rarely grit the roads and even more rarely (if ever) use salt.

If we had the salt usage on our roads like in the UK, I'd certainly be concerned with undersealing any Jap import.
        A valid point Maurice, but I still wouldn't use oil. It wouldn't be that much more effort to use proper underseal if someone was going to the trouble of applying oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
          A valid point Maurice, but I still wouldn't use oil. It wouldn't be that much more effort to use proper underseal if someone was going to the trouble of applying oil.
          I fully agree on not using oil, most certainly not advisable from an environmental perspective, and probably against EPA (or similar) regs.
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I agree, i don't see that oil is going to help. I wouldn't use underseal either ( i pressume you mean the horrible black stonechip type stuff) and definatley don't use schutz, just use clear waxoil and be sure to leave it in the airing cupboard or on the boiler to warm up first or you will never spray it.
            Good luck- messy job- but must be done every year.

Comment

I wouldn't use underseal either ..... and definatley don't use schutz,

am i missing something?? whats wrong with schutz???
              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by charliemuttley
                I agree, i don't see that oil is going to help. I wouldn't use underseal either ( i pressume you mean the horrible black stonechip type stuff) and definatley don't use schutz, just use clear waxoil and be sure to leave it in the airing cupboard or on the boiler to warm up first or you will never spray it.
                Good luck- messy job- but must be done every year.

Every year??
                Cheaper to use Schutz or the black stone chip stuff. Spray it and forget it!

Comment

Working...
                X