Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saying hello...

Hi..

ive just signed up to this website, after buying my first 4 runner / surf.

my name is Steve, and i live in leicester (uk)

my last car was a black mitsubishi gto, but now mrs steve has a bun in the oven, and we are expecting the patter of tiny boots in april.

so i needed somthing reliable, with room for my babyseat, german sheppard, and my tool boxes for work.

The hilux surf seems perfect for the job, and i must say that im impressed with it..

the car stands me at 2 grand on a "k" and its in good condition except for a dent in the tailgate.

did i make the right choice, as i heard that 2nd generations are prone to head blowing due to overheating..
    this one has been well maintained, and regulally serviced. she`s done 72k

thanks for listening, see you all soon....

Steve
    Attached Files

oooh err..... the ones with the dents in the tailgate are the worst ones to get..... Welcome to the site mate. Truck looks good and a heck of a price. Tons of useful stuff on here....the "search" button is your friend. The heads can be a problem but they dont all go. Good luck with the surf and the new baba.......
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Para67

did i make the right choice, as i heard that 2nd generations are prone to head blowing due to overheating..

Steve
      My truck could be yours we have matching dents, colour and tints...Great choice . Like the price. Don't worry about the head, I did worry after surfing this site but as somone pointed out most of the time people only post when they have a problem, so it appears that the head is always going. They did a poll on here (search) and the problem was quite low. Anyway at the price you got your truck you could replace the head if you have a problem with it and still not have paid the market price for a surf. I have found/ been given answers here for all thing to do with the surf here
      Happy Surfing
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Para67
        Hi..

ive just signed up to this website, after buying my first 4 runner / surf.

my name is Steve, and i live in leicester (uk)

my last car was a black mitsubishi gto, but now mrs steve has a bun in the oven, and we are expecting the patter of tiny boots in april.

so i needed somthing reliable, with room for my babyseat, german sheppard, and my tool boxes for work.

The hilux surf seems perfect for the job, and i must say that im impressed with it..

the car stands me at 2 grand on a "k" and its in good condition except for a dent in the tailgate.

thanks for listening, see you all soon....

Steve

Hi there mate -
        Lovely looking wheels and tyres by the way.

Show us the dent on the back... if it didnt bust your rear window it aint big enough!
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
          My truck could be yours we have matching dents, colour and tints...Great choice . Like the price. Don't worry about the head, I did worry after surfing this site but as somone pointed out most of the time people only post when they have a problem, so it appears that the head is always going. They did a poll on here (search) and the problem was quite low. Anyway at the price you got your truck you could replace the head if you have a problem with it and still not have paid the market price for a surf. I have found/ been given answers here for all thing to do with the surf here
          Happy Surfing
          Mark

Agreed - the only reason te head "seems" to be such a problem is because its covered so often - I've had a 2.4 WITHOUT the mod'd head for about a year now - Overheated it twice and still no probs

NICE MOTOR
          Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

I've done a couple of mods to try and keep the under bonnet temperatures down, like removing the sound proofing/padding from under the bonnet. Fitted a couple of bonnet vents near the windscreen so air flow through rad, pushes hot air out through vents, and fixed number plate directly to bumper instead of the bracket that's on the 'A' bar, so there are no airflow restrictions through the rad.

Hello by the way!

Comment

Hi Steve and welcome to the nuthouse. Sounds like you got your Surf at a good price. I have had my 2.4 over two years now and have overheated it three times without the going. It could be:

A. Luck.
              B. The modified head was fitted in Japan.
              C. My constant observation of the temp guage.

Good luck on the Surf and congrats on the expected addition to the family.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Steve. Happy Surfing. I wouldn't worry about the head until it goes. I've got a 3.0lt, and they are supposed to be bomb proof. But a head or head gasket can go on any engine. My mumbought a brand new Polo some years ago. As she was driving home from the dealer the head gesket went, so it does happen. Just try to keep some spare money in the kitty, incase it does go.

Enjoy your new truck!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                  oooh err..... the ones with the dents in the tailgate are the worst ones to get..... Welcome to the site mate. Truck looks good and a heck of a price. Tons of useful stuff on here....the "search" button is your friend. The heads can be a problem but they dont all go. Good luck with the surf and the new baba.......
                  Dave

thanks to you all guys..

you have made us feel very welcome..

Steve , Anna , baby?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Para67; 9 November 2005, 08:46.

Comment

Welcome Steve,

Only 1 thing missing

Where's the MUD

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                      Welcome Steve,

Only 1 thing missing

Where's the MUD

Trev
                      What you on about?
                      It must be covered in MUD, thats why it looks Grey.
                      I assume it is the official Burgundy underneath?

Color asside for a min, Welcome one and all to the best fruit factory in the world.
                      Please show caution while here as it may contain nuts!
                      Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

Working...
                      X