Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorists face unsurfaced road ban

Not sure how long this story has been about - but saw it in paper,
    basically Government want to ban access to greenlanes by 4x4's....

due to ramblers miss-informing MP's.....

see here:
    http://motoring.telegraph.co.uk/moto.../05/ixmot.html

and below

www.trf.org.uk

PRESS RELEASE
    End Of The Road For Trail Riders
    Trail Riders Fellowship (TRF) members listened with incredulity to the third reading of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill in the Commons last night. At a stroke the Government have effectively criminalised the active recreation of thousands of law abiding TRF members by removing vehicular rights from green lanes used by vehicles for a hundred years. What will this urban perspective Government ban next? Shooting is already in their sights - fishermen be warned.

The new law bans all recreational vehicles, including trail bikes and 4x4's, from all rights-of-way (RoW) not already recorded on the definitive map as Byway Open to all Traffic (BOAT). In addition the law gives National Park Authorities the power to impose Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO) on byways in National Parks. The law will in effect, ban trail bikes and other vehicles from the majority of unsurfaced roads that they have peacefully explored since the invention of the internal combustion engine at the turn of the last century. The remaining legal byways are so few and far between, that there will be no viable way of linking them together to make a day trip. The result will be that bikes and 4x4's drive up and down the same route rather than making one brief passage in a day or even week. This overuse will lead to further closures and more concentration in honey-pot areas. Only 5% of trails allowed vehicles in the first place. Walkers were amply served by 95% of RoW which were already vehicle free and also the new Right-to-Roam but this was not enough it seems - their militant leaders want it all to themselves.

Anti-vehicle pressure groups, including the Ramblers will no doubt be delighted at this perceived victory but their celebrations may well be short lived. If they think they have eliminated trail bikes and other vehicles from RoW they are wrong. This new law will eliminate all legal and law abiding citizens and their vehicles but the illegal 'scramblers' and yobs will be unaffected by the new legislation. They are already illegal and will no doubt continue to use their untaxed, uninsured, untested vehicles but without the limits that legal TRF members and other governing bodies imposed by the presence of their members in the countryside. The TRF foresee an expansion in illegal use as legal outlets are removed. Problems such as binge drinking may be provided with additional resources it seems as licensing laws are extended yet peaceful trail riding outlawed. How much will it all cost? Loss of business and the enforcement by an already stretched police force battling to deal with serious crime and terrorism. Will the police receive new revenue or will they divert precious resource to chase the naughty boys created by the failure to acknowledge a legitimate recreation?

The TRF worked closely with the Government and Defra at all stages of the consultation and drafting process of this legislation. Despite assurances that the interests of legal trail riders would not be unduly prejudiced, the Government has seen fit to betray the trust of the TRF by its dishonesty, misrepresentation and lack of integrity. This despite the government's own research paid for by tax payers that vindicated the TRF position. The TRF will now, in the light of Government behaviour, review their policy of cooperation and would warn other minority interest groups not to trust or cooperate beyond their legal duty with Government departments in the future. They may well just hasten their own demise. Who will be targeted next by vociferous negative campaigning groups - motorsport enthusiasts, mountain bikers, even horse riders? Watch out!
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

I suspect it will be illegal to walk my dogs along these green lanes in the near future then?

'Guy Fawkes, the only person to enter the houses of parliament with honest intentions!'

Comment

its odd. but as very day passes, i seem to be becoming more and more of a hardened criminal, and im not doing anything wrong!
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

This government and that crowd in Scotland are so bereft of imagination and ability that "ban" is their answer to everything. Hunting Ban, Smoking Ban, lots of people think they are just grand,and fully support both "BANS". Well its only a matter of time before something you like doing is banned. When you allow governments to get away with stuff like this and when there seems to be popular support for the ban ( as with both hunting and smoking) Its only a matter of time before they whittle away at any vestiges of freedom we have,and something that you enjoy is banned. Shooting could easily be next. Then what about hillwalking, fishing, rafting, camping, drinking alcohol on trains, drinking alcohol out of doors, raising your voice in public ( ie yelling at your kids). Theres an endless list of things that could easily be banned and could be justified in some way and would find some public support and once politicians get the bug they,ll do it. Its also an easy way out. Just BAN it then you dont have to think of alternatives, middle ground type areas and compromises.
        ASBOS, wonderful, lets throw them around like confetti. A fantastic tool for jealous or nasty neighbours and politically correct plods and councils to abuse and trust me it happens. I know of at least one instance of the offended against getting one of those for absolutely nothing other than his neighbours hating him over a perfectly legal fence. Im willing to bet theres more.
        No wonder Britain is becoming increasingly lawless. Successive governments and their handmaidens continue to alienate more and more sections of society and once alienated those people are less likely to help plod with their inquiries.
        ID cards, Automatic Number Plate Recognition,(ANRO) CCTV everywhere and I mean everywhere, the plan they had to have GPS in every vehicle for road toll purposes, Its all so sinister. Still dont worry if your honest Joe with nothing to hide. Yah right, tell that to the Brazilian electrician or the guy walking home with the table leg. One shot because he was dusky and the other because theyd been told he was Irish. Tell that to the woman in Fife I think who was arrested under anti terrorism laws because she walked along a cycle path a mile or so away from Rosyth. Cycling OK walking, terrorism

Rant Over and Im knackered now but reading that really ****ed me off. ( I thought Id tell you that as youd never have guessed )

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

Nice rant mate

Andy.

Comment

Brilliant! somebody get that man a drink!

Comment

that'll be tricky... my mate dave's mum lives on an unsurfaced road... i'll have to drop his paralised nan off on the main road and see if she can wheel herself the quarter mile to the house?

don't panic though... i have a different car for disabled passengers!

as the chinese man told me in his directions... "the road you want... it called PRIVATE ROAD"!!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Get used to it, no matter who is in government they will always find a good ban covers up any lack of real ideas. The Tories did it with pistols, then Labour came in and trumped them by banning .22 pistols as well. But never mind it worked cos all the gun crime we have now is illegal, so God only knows why the criminals insist on breaking the law. I would love to know how much it all cost, I know I didn't lose out on it and went straight to the gun shop with my cheque for some new goodies. Same as hunting, most people couldn't care less but it got loads of press time, you would really think they would have something more important to do. Don't worry though off road driving will be done for shortly, then the rest of shooting, motorbikes look to be a good target. Fishing is a bit too working class but fly fishing seems a bit elitist so that will probably go. Vome the day of the revolution we will need plenty of Polish bricklayers to build a long enough wall.

Volatre once said, I may not agree with what you say but I'll fight for your right to say it. I'm with him. If you don't like it, don't do it but dont ruin it for everyone.
                Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

another frenchman said ' when dealing with monsters, you must be careful not to become monstrous your self' or words to that effect.
                  our esteemed leaders seem to have achieved the later without troubling themselves with the former. i get this image of some senior al qeada type as minister for education in 15 or 20 years time...
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I suspect that there is one in this Governments "pockets" already.

Comment

And they wonder why people want to leave this country, last one out switch off the lights !!!
                      I read the original post on this thread, written by Andy, congrats to you Sir, well written and informative. I used to be an offroad club secretary in the late 80's and remember only to well having to campaign to keep ROW's open to all.
                      I am sickened by this impending law, whats next ? fishing and shooting, both sports I partake of.
                      Like the other contributors to this thread, I am sick to death of things being BANNED. A few years ago we seriously considered moving to Canada, time to re-apply I think.
                      ps.... I read in another forum that it has been proposed to 'ban' the term BC (before Christ), and change it to BP ( before present) wtf is going on in this country ??
                      Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

Too many 'chiefs' not enough 'indians!..................... (sorry, native Americans)

p.s.........you shoot fish?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          Too many 'chiefs' not enough 'indians!..................... (sorry, native Americans)

p.s.........you shoot fish?
                          Only in barrels !!!
                          Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

I'm just looking foreward to being arrested for enjoying one can of beer on the train jurney home. Drinking a can of beer doesn't make you an antisocial yob. Getting on a train smahed out of your scull and causing trouble does. It is easier to ban it altogether than tackle and punish the minority of idiots.

The centre of our once proud capital city smells like a urinal all through the summer because they close all the public toilets due to vandelism. Put armed toilet attendants on the door is what I suggest.

The pr*cks we have in government haven't the balls to tackle anything. Banning everything is easier.
                            ( The naughty word deleting machine didn't work so I have self censored my rant)
                            Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 6 November 2005, 02:24.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                              The pr*cks we have in government haven't the balls to tackle anything. Banning everything is easier.
                              ( The naughty word deleting machine didn't work so I have self censored my rant)
                              it's ok... PROCK isn't a bad word!

but take a leaf out of my book... only drink to get drunk!... and why would you want to get drunk on public transport??

the trouble would come when you can't get home from the pub cos your drunk!... taxis, trains and busses... there'll be trouble when the girls walking home at 2am start getting hassle!... (not from me!... i prefer it if they make it home and cook me some food!)
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X