Different 4wd settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different 4wd settings

I've tried to search for this topic on previous posts but have not found anything.

Basically, I've read all the stuff about when and how to switch between H2, H4 and L4 but my surf has settings which basically go like this:

4wd selector in top position = L4
    selector in middle position = N
    selector in bottom = H

this does not seem to correlate with the other threads where settings go from h2-h4-l4. Any ideas why this is? It would seem that to get from H4 to L4 in my surf I have to go back through the middle setting.

Had a go trying to figure out how the whole thing works. So far I have this:

In the N position, the car will not move. It seems there are two N positions in the middle. sometimes, when i put the car in the furthest N position, a light comes up on the dash showing "AP/T". I have no idea what this means.

In the H position, the car drives in 2wd (I think) and if I press the button on the 4wd selector stick, the car goes into 4wd with the light showing on the dash. Press the button again and it goes back into 2wd. I can do all this while the car is moving.

I can only put the car into L4 if it is stopped and in neutral. In this position the 4wd light will come on regardless of what position the button is in.

So the only query that remains really is why are there two N positions and what is AP/T? Any ideas. Thanks for your help.

From what i have read from previous posts, this 4wd selecting system seems different to what other people have got. Does anybody else have a similar operating system?

Comment

Your description sounds right to me..

You've got two neutrals, because one is for the standard auto transmission, and the other is for the 4wd transfer box.

You can switch between 2wd and 4wd with the button whilst moving, but ONLY up to about 60km/h. Personally, I prefer to be going MUCH slower when I switch.

AP/T. This is a warning that the 4wd transfer box is in neutral, when the auto lever is in park. I think this is because some people don't bother with the handbrake, and just rely on the 'box stoppig the car. Obviously, if the transfer box is in neutral, then there'll be nothing stopping the car, sorry, truck, from rolling down the hill..

Hope this helps..

Dave
      It just does, OK?

Comment

It should be mostly covered here and here whilst Dave has nicly explained the AP/T bit.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...254#post135254
          mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Working...
          X