X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tyres for winter

Hi folks,
    A quick question about tyres.
    I'm going to replace all four tyres on my surf shortly as they're getting a bit thread bare, and winter is just around the corner.

I have grand treks on at the mo - which were fitted when the car was imported, and I find useless for all but dry tarmac driving...in a straight line!!

I've been doing a search on here and i'm at a loss with sizes and useage.

Current tyre size 265/70/15 - don't understand 31"/10" etc!

I drive mainly motorway - but do go soft roading at weekends with my dogs - nothing too hairy - just farm tracks and fields and occaisional beach.

My past few cars (company vehicle - nissan terranos) all came with what i would call tarmac tyres which were ok till the snow came, so I think i would like to try a more "off road" style tyre.

can anybody recommend a decent tyre that won't eat into my xmas drinking money???
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

offroad tyres are not as good as proper snow/tyres - which are made with a compound that stays pliable at lower temperatures, and therefore grips better on cold, icy and snowy roads. They also have a lot of sipes in them to help grip. I recently put Vredstein snowtracs on the Subaru ready for winter (when this Indian summer ends!! ).
    Winter tyres also help in wet weather, I have noticed better grip on wet roads, and less drag when going through puddles.

Saying that, the mud tyres on 4runner did OK in snow last year in 4x4 mode. But did get back wheels to spin on even a small amount of snow/slush in 2wd mode. Due to the tyre compund becoming stiffer and therefore less grippy in cold.

But you have to make a comprimise ! - unless you can afford a set of wheels+tyres for road, offroad and snow!!

I will probably put all-terrains on 4runner when muddies wear out. I am sure that all-terrains must be better in snow than grantrek - and other more road biased tyres.
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
      Hi folks,
      A quick question about tyres.
      I'm going to replace all four tyres on my surf shortly as they're getting a bit thread bare, and winter is just around the corner.

I have grand treks on at the mo - which were fitted when the car was imported, and I find useless for all but dry tarmac driving...in a straight line!!

I've been doing a search on here and i'm at a loss with sizes and useage.

Current tyre size 265/70/15 - don't understand 31"/10" etc!

I drive mainly motorway - but do go soft roading at weekends with my dogs - nothing too hairy - just farm tracks and fields and occaisional beach.

My past few cars (company vehicle - nissan terranos) all came with what i would call tarmac tyres which were ok till the snow came, so I think i would like to try a more "off road" style tyre.

can anybody recommend a decent tyre that won't eat into my xmas drinking money???
      Hiya, why not speak to , www.sowdentyres.co.uk they do copies of Bridgestone a/t for £40.00 each, buy 5 and get them delivered for about £12.00 Oh good shot sir

Comment

Working...
      X