Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding / Welding near Fuel - Advice

Hello ,

Had fun today cutting all the rust from the rear arches of the 'zook .

Then became very aware that sparks were flying everywhere and I was very near the filer cap / pipe. Anyway , though sod it and carried on .

Now I need to weld a new inner arch in place ,, havent got the MIG yet and dont even know how to weld , but will I be able to do this without too much bother ?

Cheers
    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

You'll be o.k. as long as you keep the fuel filler cap on, it's the fumes that are more combustable.

Comment

glad you said that - it puts my mind at rest for something i did the other day!
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

My advice is to cover anything flammable with a fibreglass fire banket. I drape it over the seats when welding inside. The sparks that come off a welder will even pit the inside of the windscreen!!!

Watch the underseal on the other side of what you are welding. I use one of those garden sprayer things for getting-rid-of-greenfly-on-yer-roses. The one with the flexible pipe and seperate sprayer nozzle. I don't want anymore visits from Beds Fire Brigade.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          My advice is to cover anything flammable with a fibreglass fire banket. I drape it over the seats when welding inside. The sparks that come off a welder will even pit the inside of the windscreen!!!

Watch the underseal on the other side of what you are welding. I use one of those garden sprayer things for getting-rid-of-greenfly-on-yer-roses. The one with the flexible pipe and seperate sprayer nozzle. I don't want anymore visits from Beds Fire Brigade.
          Thanks Guys . Will let you know how I get on, once I get the welder.
          Thanks for all the Advice , There wil be alot of ' simple ' questions over the next few weeks as I get used to this engineering lark !

Comment

and remember when you're welding floor that there's carpet on the inside!... that sets on fire!!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

It don't arf stink too!

Comment

set sawdust for the oil leak and the seats on fire in the buggy yesterday!
                Tim

Comment

Insurance job?

Comment

I am an industrial welder............ if you must weld near a fuel tank, because you cant/wont remove it..... then fill it right to the brim. It is ONLY the vapour that ignites.
                    If you are a first time welder, dont do what a mate of mine did, bought a cheap mig welder, got welding and gave himself arc eye, he forgot to get a welding mask !!!!
                    Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosinDevon
                      I am an industrial welder............ if you must weld near a fuel tank, because you cant/wont remove it..... then fill it right to the brim. It is ONLY the vapour that ignites.
                      If you are a first time welder, dont do what a mate of mine did, bought a cheap mig welder, got welding and gave himself arc eye, he forgot to get a welding mask !!!!
                      haha -
                      GENIOUS!
                      Tim

Comment

What about having the engine running so you dont blow your battery up nor damage ECU and other electrical components. Batteries soak up all the current spikes and protect the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                          What about having the engine running so you dont blow your battery up nor damage ECU and other electrical components. Batteries soak up all the current spikes and protect the rest.
                          Good Point . I made an assumption I would have to disconecct the battery to weld. I know there is no ECU on the Suzuki , but what is the correct procedure for old bangers and plush 4x4's ? ... Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by JimL

Either disconnect the battery or the alternator.... that is sufficient
                            Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

Working...
                            X