4wd (how do you use it lolo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd (how do you use it lolo)

i know this is a silly question but had my surf a few hours lolol never drove a 4wd before! and have heard that there are certain things to do and not to do ? if that makes sense...........basically would like to know how to use it and not damage it! all advice most welcome thankyou...the 4wd bit anyway

Originally posted by bootuk
    i know this is a silly question but had my surf a few hours lolol never drove a 4wd before! and have heard that there are certain things to do and not to do ? if that makes sense...........basically would like to know how to use it and not damage it! all advice most welcome thankyou...the 4wd bit anyway
    what car have you got??

have you got a search button??
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Is yours a 5 speed manual shift or an automatic ??............ Hi by the way
      Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

If it's a 3rd Gen (late 96 on) then it's gor a centre diff and you can use 4WD on the road, otherwise only use 4WD on loose surfaces or snow/ice as you'll get transmission wind-up if you run it on tarmac for anything except dead straight roads. Will normally change into 4H on the move up to 60kph but 4L needs the vehicle stopped and in P. Also needs to be in N to move from 4L to 4H and may even need to reverse it a bit to get it to unlock fromn 4WD.
        Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosinDevon
          Is yours a 5 speed manual shift or an automatic ??............ Hi by the way
          hi thanks its a 3.0td limited edition 1994 automatic with the little 4wd stick next to it but no got aa clue what to do

Comment

Not a silly question ( no such thing)
            there is a transfer lever near the gear lever you can select 4WD with this
            to be safe select between 2WD and 4WD and vice versa while stationary
            the engine can be running no prob
            experiment with the different modes ie choose each mode and then drive a little way and you will notice a difference in the way the engine responds and the car moves
            there are maximum speeds stated in the different 4WD selections and to be honest you can use common sense combined with paying attention to how hard the engine is working to recognise these!
            be gentle and you will soon establish the right selection for the right conditions
            unless you plan to offroad or find yourself in some real exreme conditions ( not likely in most parts of the U.K) you'll probaly find you won't need most of the available modes
            have fun
            Bobo

Comment

Originally posted by bobo
              Not a silly question ( no such thing)
              there is a transfer lever near the gear lever you can select 4WD with this
              to be safe select between 2WD and 4WD and vice versa while stationary
              the engine can be running no prob
              experiment with the different modes ie choose each mode and then drive a little way and you will notice a difference in the way the engine responds and the car moves
              there are maximum speeds stated in the different 4WD selections and to be honest you can use common sense combined with paying attention to how hard the engine is working to recognise these!
              be gentle and you will soon establish the right selection for the right conditions
              unless you plan to offroad or find yourself in some real exreme conditions ( not likely in most parts of the U.K) you'll probaly find you won't need most of the available modes
              have fun
              Bobo
              cheers bob thats give me a vote of confidence lolo and makes alot more sense

Comment

Working...
              X