Wooden steering wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden steering wheels

Got my first surf arriving from Japan on November 3rd. Looking forward to getting it, a 1992 SSRX.

However, it has a wooden steering wheel. It seems this is a favorite mod by the japanese

Any suggestions as to what options i have to swap it as i dont htink i am going to like it, or anyone on here got one and can say "keep it, their great!!"

cheers
    Dai

Originally posted by DaiZX
    Got my first surf arriving from Japan on November 3rd. Looking forward to getting it, a 1992 SSRX.

However, it has a wooden steering wheel. It seems this is a favorite mod by the japanese

Any suggestions as to what options i have to swap it as i dont htink i am going to like it, or anyone on here got one and can say "keep it, their great!!"

cheers
    Dai
    Hi,
    I came across a couple of surf's with laminated timber steerer's when I was searchin for a goody...they seemed ok, and that feature would not have deterred me from buying...dont forget you would'n't have to live with the srs in the plastic pod which is a feature on a lot of surfs, including mine....I once made a timber steerer - it was laminated both sides of a high carbon steel - read luvly dark blue color boss ( a mate fabricated this) - on which was mounted the horn button...I found it excellent...I also had a spinner on that wheel, good idea for serious off-roadin when you maybe needed to keep the fingers away from any danger of the dreaded "kickback" - well one did on this make of truck - no - wasnt a 'yota...See if the front wheels hit a hidden obstacle - jeez - the kick was something else !...
    Someone else may have had different experience. but I'm sold on loads of timber
    Last edited by Uplander; 21 October 2005, 23:17. Reason: correction due to missquote...

Comment

cheers.

Whats the "srs in plastic pod " that you mention?

Dai

Comment

cheers.

Whats the "srs in plastic pod " that you mention?

Dai
        Hi,
        It sez SRS (didn't want to shout, sorry) but it means "airbag" is it Secondary Restraint System - or somethin ? Bloomin "nanny state" gadget anyhow IMHO

Comment

If you have picture of wheel, will maybe swap for original, if you wish.
          Rgds Philip

fuelcat@btconnect.com
          Still Searching,
          Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
            If you have picture of wheel, will maybe swap for original, if you wish.
            Rgds Philip

fuelcat@btconnect.com
            Might well do.
            Can you PM me or email me in a fortnight when it arrives???

Comment

cheers
              Dai
              have a look here,got a wooden wheel on my truck ,i think it looks great,http://photobucket.com/albums/v407/madmaintman/truck
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                have a look here,got a wooden wheel on my truck ,i think it looks great,http://photobucket.com/albums/v407/madmaintman/truck

yeah,that looks nice,but mine is a light colour wood.

Comment

Working...
                X