Bit of advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of advice please

Hi all know I keep pestering members for advice just want to make sure I get my first surf right. Went to a dealer in Pontypool yesterday on a skive from work and came across an L reg 2.5 burgundy surf with matching interior. Looks real clean inside and out (couple of minor scratches nothing that can't be sorted) the engine is spotless can't see any oil here or anywhere underneath. Was imported in 99 and at mo that's the only doc the dealer has!! Waiting for previous owner to bring in MOT cert and log book, been told it's had a new head done and other work but again waiting on prev owner to bring down history! Price is £3000 and he's given me 500 for my m reg laguna. Taking it for a test drive tonight it is a manual noticed got 4x4 selector with 2 options hi and low. What’s your thought's guys is there anything I should find out about?

P.s bought 4x4 mart other day with good artical about surf's and this site with a mention of Linda and her black surf. guy who wrote it is full of praise for his surf this site and linda taking the surf to place's he thought it would never go!! So nice one all

Hi, Print this link of FAQs and take with you and make sure you have documented proof of the head change, otherwise make sure it's covered in the dealers warranty. Sounds like a good price for a manual.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Hi, Print this link of FAQs and take with you and make sure you have documented proof of the head change, otherwise make sure it's covered in the dealers warranty. Sounds like a good price for a manual.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
      Brilliant great link cheers mate. Yeah i was surprised at the price myself it's only got 88000 miles (still got killo's on clock but work's out about this ). Where to in gwent r u bushwaker?

Comment

Abercarn, near Newbridge.
        The truck you're looking at later, is it at that dealer next to Robert Prices?
        That's the place I first saw a Surf about two years ago. I bought mine privately in the end.

Comment

Abercarn, near Newbridge.
          The truck you're looking at later, is it at that dealer next to Robert Prices?
          That's the place I first saw a Surf about two years ago. I bought mine privately in the end.
          No it's towards abersychan bit further up the road by the petrol petrol station. I had a look at the one by robert price's he's got two there 1 is just out of my price range the other is ok but auto i'm not a fan of auto's always feels to lazy driving them and not as much fun

Comment

Ah yes I know the place. Last time I went past there, I noticed more Pajero's than Surfs.
            Auto's aren't that bad, but I agree with you, it does make your left leg a bit redundant, except when you get out of course!

Comment

I assume you mean its a 2.4 Diesel (not 2.5)? - If you can afford it I would really recommend looking for a 3.0 - fuel economy is not meant to be any different from the 2.4, they don't have the same head probs and they are way, way better to drive.

What about buying privately? Have a look on autotrader or adtrader. Personally I never buy from dealers, they are usually way overpriced and most don't warranty or support their own sales they just offer a third-party insurance type "warranty" that you can buy yourself for much cheaper if you really want to (i.e. if you bought privately).

Either way (if you are not already) I would recommend using autotrader to search for surfs (private and trade) nationally at least just to compare prices.
              No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
                I assume you mean its a 2.4 Diesel (not 2.5)? - If you can afford it I would really recommend looking for a 3.0 - fuel economy is not meant to be any different from the 2.4, they don't have the same head probs and they are way, way better to drive.

What about buying privately? Have a look on autotrader or adtrader. Personally I never buy from dealers, they are usually way overpriced and most don't warranty or support their own sales they just offer a third-party insurance type "warranty" that you can buy yourself for much cheaper if you really want to (i.e. if you bought privately).

Either way (if you are not already) I would recommend using autotrader to search for surfs (private and trade) nationally at least just to compare prices.
                I thought it would be a 2.4 as i have not seen a 2.5 but the dealer is issisting that it is a limited edition 2.5??? Have been checking auto trader and e bay for 3.0L but there very rare with manual's. Cheers for the info on the warrenty i have heard half of them are not worth the paper they are printed so will see what this dealer's is like. The surf does look good will have to find a 3.0L to compare the drive i think before i go rushing in to anything !!! Thank god i got some time off work next week to have a good look and try get my head round it all!!!!

Comment

Ah yes I know the place. Last time I went past there, I noticed more Pajero's than Surfs.
                  Auto's aren't that bad, but I agree with you, it does make your left leg a bit redundant, except when you get out of course!
                  Going to walk funny though for a bit waiting to get life back in leg !!! There was a lot pajero's there than surf's but that seems to be the case must place's i've looked. took one out the other week felt like I was someone's grand-dad driving the thing around I'm only 24 so won't be getting one of them!! fallen in love with the surf though starting to become bit of an obsession so mrs not impressed (as per usual) what do you drive mate have you got the 2.4 or 3.0 ??

Comment

2.4 no probs since I've had it, I bought it in Feb. 2004.
                    When you get yours, and need any help, give me a shout if you can't find any answers of the forum, as some problems need a visual to work out.

Comment

Never heard of any 2.5 surfs myself (not to say that they don't exist, maybe toyota did a slightly bored-out 2.5 special edition?) this is the info I have got on engines:
                      http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/inf...ne_numbers.htm

Yes there do not seem to be too many manual surfs about. But I have to say the auto 3.0 is sweet - really quite smooth and no problem on or off road. I know how some people feel about autos and I would never buy any performance type car with a pure auto box (my other car is a tiptronic-auto box) - however, in a vehicle like the surf it really is an o.k. choice - I would not want to go back to a manual one having now owned an auto.

And yes, I would certainly recommend you drive a 3.0 for a comparison before making any decision.
                      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by codlord
                        Never heard of any 2.5 surfs myself (not to say that they don't exist, maybe toyota did a slightly bored-out 2.5 special edition?) this is the info I have got on engines:
                        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/inf...ne_numbers.htm

Yes there do not seem to be too many manual surfs about. But I have to say the auto 3.0 is sweet - really quite smooth and no problem on or off road. I know how some people feel about autos and I would never buy any performance type car with a pure auto box (my other car is a tiptronic-auto box) - however, in a vehicle like the surf it really is an o.k. choice - I would not want to go back to a manual one having now owned an auto.

And yes, I would certainly recommend you drive a 3.0 for a comparison before making any decision.
                        Brilliant thank's both for your help, bushwaker if you don't mind i'm sure i'll call for help at some point. will check all options test drive both this 2.5 and a 3.0 (if i can find one close) and let you know how it goes thank's again it's appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by bradley444
                          bushwaker...
                          Never mind, Vince - it could have been a lot worse...
                          Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by bradley444
                            Brilliant thank's both for your help, bushwaker if you don't mind i'm sure i'll call for help at some point. will check all options test drive both this 2.5 and a 3.0 (if i can find one close) and let you know how it goes thank's again it's appreciated

Here you go found the dealer's site have a look at it see what you think bit red interior but not to bad + got year wrong it's H reg 91 is this still a good price?
                            http://www.e-c-t.co.uk/4x4scommercials_143162.html
                            Last edited by bradley444; 21 October 2005, 15:40.

Comment

Personally, I'm not that keen on the looks and I think thats too much for an 'H' reg also it's a pre- facelift, narrow bodied version.
                              Ther are newer ones about for that kind of money.
                              Have you tried Auto trader or even the for sale section on here?

Comment

Working...
                              X