Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
    True.

I heard it originated on a Surf forum back in 2005.

Now thats a myth.

Comment

I researched various devices to warn me of laser speed guns.

The police aim for your front number plate to get a decent reflection

The only real working unit is made by a company called Lidatek it senses and then jams the police laser unit, the Lidatek unit uses expensive laser diodes and the older versions are the ones to get they put out so much infra red power it could damage eyesight at close range, if you stared into it.
      Other companies make jammers but these use infra red LEDs, used in IR remote controls (your telly remote) just a bunch overdriven LEDS powered on for 15 odd seconds in an attempt to jam.

But the police laser guns do have some fancy software in them real time DSP digital signal processing to remove errors and avoid jamming.

Fifth gear did a test on these devices and they do work, but if your caught... it ain't good .

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Got this from the Daily Mail......
        I know its old, and you were probably 'kewl' back then Vince, but you got 'u' and 'ur' from the Daily Mail??

The problem with jammers is they generate an error code at the speed measuring kit. At this time, copper logs your reg. Next time your car generates an error, plod arrive on your doorstep, tear your car apart and a BIG fine ensues.

Thats from the horses mouth (or a friends copper neighbours mouth)
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Djandco View Post
          i was working in the police HQ when i notced that in the police newsletter.

I had a copy of it somewhere,
          The two bobies were board and clocked a jet on a training mission.
          The computer registered the laser and mistook it for a targeting laser.
          So it set up its counter attack and locked weapons (which were live apparently!) but the piolet overrode them and reported to base.

The end of the artical had a memo from the MOD
          Basically it said that targeting planes was not a good idea and they would not be held responsible.
          The Police HQ reply was a warning to all mobile trafic cops saying, dont do it!

It's an urban myth story has been around for years.

Full nonsense story here
          Brian

Comment

AFAIK, no fast jet features a laser warner. Helo's, yes, but not fast jet.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              AFAIK, no fast jet features a laser warner. Helo's, yes, but not fast jet.
              *Cough* nerd! *cough*

Comment

Nope it's a lot older than that I heard it when at college back at the end of the eighties,

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp
                Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2 View Post
                  My Defender is sprayed in I.R.R. paint. It's a Military paint that is used on military vehicles and equipment to reflect infrared. I see these speed guns use a infrared beam to target vehicles. I wonder what reading it would get targeted at my I.R.R. painted Defender?

But I don't think I'm going to go out and test it!!
                  Over the speed limit - Just how the stationary / parked car was found to be travelling at 15mph

I normally slow down to see what is going on. From a distance it looks odd that someone is standing there pointing something - as I'm nosey I slow down
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                  X