No announcement yet.

Speed cameras tell lies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=BUSHWHACKER]Standing corrected. I was refering to those GATSO busting numberplates, They don't work 100%[/QUOTE

I know I wouldn't try it. The only way in not getting nicked is to cover your numberplate in mud or something similar. Make sure you also haven't got any identifying stickers on the back/front also.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
      It's called I.R.R. by the Ministry of Defence and it stands for Infra-Red Refective, so I guess it reflects it. When you look at it after you have sprayed it, it's got a wierd sort of Metalic paint look. It's also made out of Polyeurothane Enamel (spelt wrong no doubt), which is an oil based paint and is thined down using white spirit.

I can find out what it actually does. As for Police guns having software to combat this, I'm not so sure. Not much point in the Army using it, if Civvy plod has the technology to detect it.

The latest Camouflage nets also have this I.R.R. capability.
      Look here: http://www.dstan.mod.uk/data/00/023/00000300.pdf

As far as I can work out, the IRR paint is REFLECTIVE i.e. it is designed to reflect as much IR as possible - over 98% according to the spec. This is presumably to reduce the emissivity in the IR spectrum, as this is what will make you show up in thermal imaging systems.
      So probably wouldn't do much to disperse the IR laser from a hand-held speed gun.

Have to say - the thought of the speedgun operator setting off the Threat Warning Receiver on a Harrier nearly caused a tea on monitor episode

Oh, and it's "polyurethane".
      Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
        best story i heard was when a speed gun picked up a jet flying overhead... registered huge speed...

but!... jet (harrier i think) registered the radar/laser and thought it was some kind of targeting system and switched to full alert (or whatever they do when they think someone's gonna fire a missile!)
        i was working in the police HQ when i notced that in the police newsletter.

I had a copy of it somewhere,
        The two bobies were board and clocked a jet on a training mission.
        The computer registered the laser and mistook it for a targeting laser.
        So it set up its counter attack and locked weapons (which were live apparently!) but the piolet overrode them and reported to base.

The end of the artical had a memo from the MOD
        Basically it said that targeting planes was not a good idea and they would not be held responsible.
        The Police HQ reply was a warning to all mobile trafic cops saying, dont do it!

Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
          Look here: http://www.dstan.mod.uk/data/00/023/00000300.pdf

As far as I can work out, the IRR paint is REFLECTIVE i.e. it is designed to reflect as much IR as possible - over 98% according to the spec. This is presumably to reduce the emissivity in the IR spectrum, as this is what will make you show up in thermal imaging systems.
          So probably wouldn't do much to disperse the IR laser from a hand-held speed gun.

Have to say - the thought of the speedgun operator setting off the Threat Warning Receiver on a Harrier nearly caused a tea on monitor episode

Oh, and it's "polyurethane".

Is it 'coz I can't spell??

By the way, if you looked at post No 14, it would have saved you telling me what I knew already!
          Last edited by M35A2; 24 October 2005, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2

Is it 'coz I can't spell??
            If others want to look it up, it helps to have the correct spelling, but no aspersions are cast at your spelling!

By the way, if you looked at post No 14, it would have saved you telling me what I knew already!
            Hmm - need an "egg on face" smiley here...
            I looked up the frequency/reflectance graph, hence my comment, but yes, I obviously didn't read your post carefully enough

(psst - a polyurethane-based paint isn't strictly oil-based OR an enamel, but that might be splitting hairs )
            Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

wouldn't infra red reflecting paint aid the camera?
              surely you need to absorb the light as it measures speed by timing how long it takes for the beam to bounce back off the car?
              (that's just how i imagined it)

"stealth" stuff had absorbing paint and angles so any reflected is sent off at different angles
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Yeah! errrr......wot he said.

Comment

surely you need to absorb the light as it measures speed by timing how long it takes for the beam to bounce back off the car?

"stealth" stuff had absorbing paint and angles so any reflected is sent off at different angles
                  kitesurf_phil is busy covering his Surf with matt black painted egg boxes.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                    kitesurf_phil is busy covering his Surf with matt black painted egg boxes.
                    uri geller used bent spoons!

Comment

as far as I know, it scatters the beam, thus not sending a reflected beam back.
                      Wonder what would happen if you pointed a laser pen back at the gun?
                      Apart from blinding the bobby

Comment

Originally posted by Djandco
                        as far as I know, it scatters the beam, thus not sending a reflected beam back.
                        Wonder what would happen if you pointed a laser pen back at the gun?
                        Apart from blinding the bobby
                        surely it would measure the speed of light?
                        not even a skateboard can go faster than that!

Comment

surely it would measure the speed of light?
                          not even a skateboard can go faster than that!

you never seen me on one!

Comment

found this today, and having no scanner that works, I thought the ol photo method would do the trick.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                              best story i heard was when a speed gun picked up a jet flying overhead... registered huge speed...

but!... jet (harrier i think) registered the radar/laser and thought it was some kind of targeting system and switched to full alert (or whatever they do when they think someone's gonna fire a missile!)

Just an urban myth.
                              Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
                                Just an urban myth.
                                True.

I heard it originated on a Surf forum back in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                                X