Idiots At Thatcham....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chillitt
    this fantastic piece of research is bought to you by the people advocating airbags on motorcycles a few years back....
    Is that to give the rider a helping hand over the handle bars?

Mind you, they should have been wearing their seat belts!
    Back in the world of Surfdom

Comment

For the last eight years, at least, bumpers have been designed to absorb impact and reduce the shockwave that goes through the car causing massive internal injuries. If we all had bumpers made out of off-cuts of railway track we would die as a result of lower speed collisions.

Keep Yer Distance, only a fool breaks the 1-2 rule, if you can see my mirrors etc

Definition of expert ex, as in was, spurt, as in drip under pressure!
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Just a thought, what height are comertial vehicle bumpers, car height, 4x4 height, 5ton truck height, 40 ton truck height, mobile crane hight, bike, scooter, skateboard,.........erm if we all had cars like fred flintstone we could all have logs at the same height that didnt change with suspension, aceleration, braking, cornering, slopes in the road, potholes, camber, SPEED HUMPS, Thatcham people under my wheels etc etc
        oooooh I do feel vented............pardon
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

Having read your links, I am able to conclude that these people are either miss-quoted, or incomparable morons with a tunnel visioned stunted intelect.

One of the prime reasons the repair costs are so out of propotrion "today" may be that a VW Golf bumper 15 years ago cost £150 plus fitting, the current models bumper is over a grand to replace.

Car manufacturers proffitering (sp?) pehaps?
          Or perhaps fifteen years ago Thatcham insisted that we remove the nice rubber and steel bumpers from our cars to fit softer more rounded ones that turn the first 3 feet of most cars into a single plastic moulding, that costs ten times more to replace?

Either way we the consumer get spanked again
          Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtdog

Either way we the consumer get spanked again
            The truth comes out, and it the same old story!
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

These people just want something to moan about!!! To make them happy we will wrap everything in bubble wrap and we can all bounce off each other or don't bother going out at all!!! and become hermits. Everything is about how can they screw even more money out of the hard working British public!! and give it freely to the ever groing population of under age single Mum's, imegrants and freeloaders!

You Can't please all the people all of the time!
              I like Orientals

Comment

you're all getting confused... Thatcham is the MIRRC (motor insurance repair research centre)... they crash cars and repair them and test security, report back to the insurers and let them know what group of insurance the car is in.

the TRL (Transport research lab) in crowthorne is the one that tests motors and makes up all the dumb legislation....

So, if you read the article how i did, it actually says that all vehicles should have higher bumpers so that you don't get jammed under the arse of a 4x4!

and engineers?? having lived in Thatcham ever since it was a village... i can confirm that they do actually wear white coats!! (dull blue actually!)

it used to be a good place for parts!... but it's all fenced off now!
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

and, my mate ran me over at low speed once in a cavalier... the front valance nearly chopped my feet off!!...

in a 4x4 he would have hit me in the back of the knees, making me sit on the bonnet and not limped like an buffon all weekend!

Comment

Got so anoyed I sent them an email telling em to stop messing about and do some proper research into the causes of accidents instead!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Dawson
                      Got so anoyed I sent them an email telling em to stop messing about and do some proper research into the causes of accidents instead!
                      they're not interested in that.... just the cost of repairing them.
                      you need the TRL

Comment

As an ex traffic police officer I can tell you that height, depth of and construction of bumpers, bull bars, nudge bars, A bars and nurf bars is IRRELEVANT !
                        The simple truth is if you get hit by a piece of steel/plastic weighing 1 tonne plus, travelling at 30 mph its gonna hurt and or kill you.
                        I saw more than my fair share of road traffic accidents and I would just like to point out that there is no such thing as an accident in my opinion. There is " cause and effect"...... speed was too high, braking distance too short, defective vehicle, inexperienced driver, unobservant pedestrians..... need I go on ?
                        Who needs speed, People will always wait for me !

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosinDevon
                          there is no such thing as an accident in my opinion. There is " cause and effect"...... speed was too high, braking distance too short, defective vehicle, inexperienced driver, unobservant pedestrians..... need I go on ?

couldnt put it better myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            Its all ****, some stupid woman drove her Metro in to the back of my pickup one day, she mashed her car, but bounced off my rear tyres as my rear bumper (3" 5mm thick box section) cleared her bumper easy!!! No damage to my truck at all.

Who had the best designed car??????.....

ME!!! Bobtailed lifted trucks should be held up as the way ahead!

Who needs bumpers when you've got TYRES!
                            that looks one nice bit of kit to play with tony.....still got the original lump in it?
                            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
                              that looks one nice bit of kit to play with tony.....still got the original lump in it?
                              think it's in a drawer somewhere!!

Comment

Originally posted by slim
                                hehe - it had a rover V8 in it - its now in the process of being fitted to the 2 door surf project truck.....

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X