Toyota 4x4 world record attempt 8-9 April 2006 Towcester Racecourse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vagrant No.2 ...

Firstly, I thought the girl who phoned the police (on your behalf) had contacted you about the loonie who reversed into you. She did not have to get involved but, being just about the only sober person present, she took it on herself to make the call sensibly and calmly.

Second, I never had the Police Cad No, she did.

Third, all this was back in August and so I assumed it was sorted or is still being sorted, so why on earth have you not contacted me since especially if you needed this vital number?

Fourth and most important, airing YOUR dirty washing in public is well out of order, especially as I had nothing to do with the incident whatsoever - well, apart from rounding up the troops and leaving site with them to chase around the surrounding roads at the dead of night, again on YOUR behalf. Something else we need not have done. Neither I nor my friends wanted to leave the fun, plus trying to find a sober driver was a nightmare, but as the organiser I felt an obligation to help (likewise, as a fellow off-roader they wanted to help you too).

For heaven's sake, if you have something to say phone me. 01406 493144 or 07958 216266 are the numbers as well you know. DON'T IMPLY TO THE WORLD THAT I COULDN'T CARE AND DON'T GIVE A DAMN - THAT'S NOT FAIR AND NOT CERTAINLY TRUE.

Comment

A rolling convoy yes, a massive traffic jam no. Don't think the local constabulary would be too pleased if it were. Honestly, even 50 or so vehicles all decked out in flags and bunting looks amazing - just picture two or three hundred.

I have lifted this quote from the event Booking Form, it sums it up perfectly:-

Lastly, don’t forget all those teddies, hippos, monkeys, crocodiles, flags, bunting and additional spotlights for your roofracks and bullbars as seen in previous processions. These record attempts will after all culminate in a massive convoy much of it raising revenue for a host of charities, so doubtless you’ll want your 4x4 to look good as possible on TV. Prizes are also up for grabs for the “Best Dressed Vehicle” (fancy dress encouraged) so let’s give the day a carnival atmosphere to truly remember!

The last event raised £500 for air ambulance, dressed as gorillas the crew of a Range Rover raked in an incredible £600 in sponsorship money for a local cancer charity and £1,000 was raised for the Born Free Foundation. Although encouraged by the organisers, this cash I hasten to add was raised by individuals and clubs, not by the event itself (much the same as in the London Marathon), so you can see just how much folk enter into the spirit of the event.

As for your questions about prices, the £15 covers Day Admission Saturday & Sunday for the driver and up to 4 passengers (these can all be adults as kids are free anyway), entry into the world record attempt procession, an event decal (a Monte Carlo-type sticker) and the all-important Certificate of Participation – not to mention the facilities Towcester Racecourse has to offer!

As for Trade Stands, radio control models, beer tent entertainment, etc. that’s all covered in my original posting so won’t repeat it all here.

The point is, prestigious venues like Towcester Racecourse don’t come cheap. Yes I could hire a farmer’s field and provide portaloos and mobile drinking water wagons, but do folk really want a muddy field in the middle of nowhere? The answer is a resounding NO. Besides, knowing the cost of hiring in equipment, it wouldn't be that much cheaper anyway. I have been running off-road events since 1997 and have always tried to provide a value-for-money, fun weekend, NOT to rip people off. That’s probably the reason I am permanently skint (as anyone who knows me will verify). Personally, I reckon £15 is far too cheap for a major event such as this. Now where did I put that calculator to adjust those prices?

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
        you could borrow my travelodge frequent user discount card!
        Is that the one with the free hooker coupons, or have you used them all up!?!?

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Last mention on here

Tom
          I will not mention on here again regarding what happened appart from this : Your marshalls insisted the vehicle would not leave site and they would deal with the driver . When leaving the site on the Sunday YOU personally told me you would either phone my home contact number , PM me , or email me . All these details I gave to YOU on a piece of paper . That is why I am pi$$ed off . YOU said you were dealing with it . If I or my mates were allowed to immobilise the Trooper by removing wheels , or battery or somehing else the vehicle would not have left site and and your guys would not have had to drive off site and chase it and stop one of our members instead of the Trooper! See how it looks from my side.
          I am VERY greatful to the marshall who phoned the Police , and as for the one who got injured , I hope she is OK .

Last post to you regarding this matter and sorry to the regular forum members for dragging it out again .

Rick
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

so, for £15... what do you get?... just the chance to park in a queue??

and we get paid to do that on the M25 cos the numpties in cars havent got a clue how to drive in the same direction
            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
              and we get paid to do that on the M25 cos the numpties in cars havent got a clue how to drive in the same direction
              Having done 100 miles a day for 3 years on the M25 I think I can say with some authority that the main cause of jams and accidents (on the the bit I drove, J6-15 anyway) wereleft hand drive lorries (ban em!) where the drivers showed either total disregard or ignorance of what was sitting by their offside front wheel or (most particularly from J7 up to 9) was the lorry grand prix, all flogging it up the hill 3 abreast each doing all of 1/2 mile an hour speed difference between the slowest and the fastest. There were also various loonies in cars swapping lanes, undertaking, overtaking, and doing I know not what to get past the car in front, only to sit in the same queue 2 miles up the road. I found he whole thing very theraputic, if you didn't accept your karma you would have been dead of ulcers and a heart attack within the month. I once had the pleasure of sitting next to two lorries with CBs which were blasting out my radio, I learnt a whole lot that morning, like how you could hold a 20 minute conversation using little else but fu(k, sad thing was I could get the gist of who he was talking about!
              Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Rick - Last bit about the subject on here from me too. Apologies if you gave me the details, I honestly don't remember that.

Yes it was a shame the Marshal who thought he'd disabled the motor didn't do a better job of it. He was convinced it wasn't going anywhere, everyone involved including yourself thought the same otherwise you/I/we would have blocked the vehicle in! What can I say? Sorry obviously, but it still does not find the culprit. What I don't understand is why the police could not simply trace him via the registration number? Weird.

Anyway, I'll contact Vicki (the Marshal who phoned) to find out what you require.

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                  Having done 100 miles a day for 3 years on the M25 I think I can say with some authority that the main cause of jams and accidents (on the the bit I drove, J6-15 anyway) wereleft hand drive lorries (ban em!) where the drivers showed either total disregard or ignorance of what was sitting by their offside front wheel or (most particularly from J7 up to 9) was the lorry grand prix, all flogging it up the hill 3 abreast each doing all of 1/2 mile an hour speed difference between the slowest and the fastest. There were also various loonies in cars swapping lanes, undertaking, overtaking, and doing I know not what to get past the car in front, only to sit in the same queue 2 miles up the road. I found he whole thing very theraputic, if you didn't accept your karma you would have been dead of ulcers and a heart attack within the month. I once had the pleasure of sitting next to two lorries with CBs which were blasting out my radio, I learnt a whole lot that morning, like how you could hold a 20 minute conversation using little else but fu(k, sad thing was I could get the gist of who he was talking about!
                  Buffoon!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Buffoon!
                    hehe, yeah, its a little harsh, the main fault of lorrys overtaking at 1/2mph faster than each other is the clown who insisted on limiting them to 55mph.

I don't sit in a vehicles blind spot LHD or UK trucks regardless, its asking for trouble, get past or stay back.

The main cause of traffic is tailgating and then slamming the brakes on, making the whole lane have to slow down, and muppets driving in the middle lane instead of moving over after passing something.

Apart from everyone on the motorway is causing the jam, if your in the jam, you're part of the problem, quit complaining and enjoy the view, or find another route.

Comment

hehe, You guys and your motorway shenanigans, you make I larf!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        hehe, You guys and your motorway shenanigans, you make I larf!
                        And a hell of a way to swerve off-topic as well!!!

Comment

Sorry, can’t add photos to forums (far too complicated), but if you wanna see what silliness we get up to, go to last post on http://www.mdocuk.co.uk/forums/viewt...56af2455c72034

Ta!

Comment

Oh and back to the original topic....

Anyone going to go along???

I can see the point of the £15 - venues cost money. We happily pay that to sit in a field and show our surfs... whats the difference?

Its a meet up - there are toilets, food vendors, other 4x4ers to chat to, camoing maybe? ... sounds like it will be a bit of fun, and raises the profile of our fab surfs again.....

PS
                            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Would you want a Club Display Stand?

Every club whether internet-based or the old fashioned type is being offered a Club Display Stand at the event. This comprises of a frontage of 9m for the four/five/six most interesting vehicles PLUS space for a gazebo/caravan & awning/photo boards PLUS as much depth as you want ... this way all your members can park up on the Club Display Stand to become part of it. No freebies for club officials I'm afraid as virtually every vehicle present will be entering the world record attempt, but at least it means you will have a focal point where your members can congregate and also other owners/the general public can see who you are and what you do. Let me know you thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X