Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob saying hi

helloooooooooo
    Maybe on the look out for a tow vehicle soon and am considering a hi lux surf as one of my options. Found this forum while i was looking for some info on model differences, never did find what i was looking for, lol.
    Been looking through the FAQ section and the rest of the forum but cant find any info on different models i.e differences between ssrg, ssrx....., differences between gen1/2/3 etc
    All i've been able to suss so far is go for the 3.0 not the 2.4
    Is there is a sticky or thread that contains the info i am after?
    thanks
    Jay

Welcome to the forum- good to see that you are doing your research BEFORE buying the car!

Comment

Originally posted by quigonjay
      helloooooooooo
      i was looking for some info on model differences, never did find what i was looking for, lol.
      cant find any info on different models i.e differences between ssrg, ssrx.....,
      All i've been able to suss so far is go for the 3.0 not the 2.4 thanks
      Jay
      The reason you can't find info on differences is the Japs tend to personalize their cars far more from new than we do hence a vast difference between equipment on the same model marks
      However you can pretty much expect air con / high end sound systems / good trim levels etc on the majority of marks
      you are right to say go for the 3.0 over the 2.4 engine but thats not to say the 2.4 is a bad choice as long as you are aware of the problems and how to deal with them which if you tap into the available info on this forum is not a problem
      there are noticable physical differences between 1st 2nd 3rd gens but that is more personal preference
      ultimately whatever your preferences Toyota have built a great reputation worldwide with the Hi-Lux / Surf / 4Runner in all variants and deservedly so!
      also this forum is a wealth of unbiased information offered from personal experience of ownership
      also TonyN can answer any queries you might have and is the best Surf Mechanic you could wish for!
      so fear not you won't regret buying a Surf not only is it extremely capable and robust but it is a great pleasure to own and drive
      have fun!
      Bobo
      Last edited by bobo; 14 October 2005, 23:12.

Comment

Hi there and welcome to the madhouse.

For pre-purchase info have a look here
        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

For model differences have a look here
        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/history.htm

Another fantastic Forum here
        http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/index.php

Or try the SEARCH button at the top of the page, there is shedloads of info here and you are on the right track or should I say the only track
        Buy a SURF !!
        Simon.O.
        '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

cheers for the links, lots of useful info on there.
          Ok, heres another question for y'all
          When i first started looking around at potential tow vehicles my 2 possibllites where
          Hilux surf
          Mitsibushi challenger/Shogun/pajero
          I prefer the looks of the wide body surf but what else has it got going for it compared to the mitsi's? convince me i need a surf, lol
          cheers
          Jay

Comment

If you are after a truck to use for towing go with the surf, i used my old 2.4 for towing most days (with 16" trailer weighing around 1.5 ton) with no probs wot so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by quigonjay
              cheers for the links, lots of useful info on there.
              Ok, heres another question for y'all
              When i first started looking around at potential tow vehicles my 2 possibllites where
              Hilux surf
              Mitsibushi challenger/Shogun/pajero
              I prefer the looks of the wide body surf but what else has it got going for it compared to the mitsi's? convince me i need a surf, lol
              cheers
              Jay

It is more comfortable in my opinion, less body roll than a shogun, rangie. Seating position more like a car, has more ground clearance, better off road (and thats from seeing shoguns off road) that Toyota build quality reputation.
              The warmth and grin of owning a Surf and being on this forum, it will make you feel, well complete.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

I think that a long time ago, Toyota started by making good quality long lasting vehicles and mitsubishi started by making Televisions ??????????????????

Could be wrong though, Their tv's might be **** aswel

Comment

Originally posted by Andy W
                  I think that a long time ago, Toyota started by making good quality long lasting vehicles and mitsubishi started by making Televisions ??????????????????

Could be wrong though, Their tv's might be **** aswel
                  yeah, but yamaha strted making piano's but you wouldn't turn down a track day on an R1!... but then maybe they're good at tuning.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                  X