Vegetable, Corn or Sunflower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegetable, Corn or Sunflower?

Can any of you Veg burners out there tell me if you can use Corn or Sunflower oil as well as Veg oil in your chip pan......?

Also, would the use of this in the chip pan......, coke up the cylinder head and valves? If you saw the state of the bottom of my frying pan, don't want my valve stems looking like that!!!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Originally posted by M35A2
    Can any of you Veg burners out there tell me if you can use Corn or Sunflower oil as well as Veg oil in your chip pan......?

Also, would the use of this in the chip pan......, coke up the cylinder head and valves? If you saw the state of the bottom of my frying pan, don't want my valve stems looking like that!!!

Cheers
    Not sure, but I have noticed a higher demand on newpapers, salt & vinegar

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Cheers
      You mean you haven't used veg oil yet?

Comment

i tried it mixed with diesel, and not only did the chips taste awful, but when i changed the fuel filter, spilled some on the bin... when it dried it was really gooey and sticky... not sure what it would be like left in the tank / pipes etc.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

http://www.elsbett.de/engl/

Click the Vegetable Oil option on the bottom left hand side.

Their preferred oil seems to be rapeseed.

The criterea seem to be the degree of unsaturation of the carbon chain (the more carbon double-bonds the worse it is, eg raw linseed oil. This will gum the engine fastest.)

I think this is indicated by an Iodine test.

Some, especially unheated oils don't appear to burn fully and so do gum the engine.

Peterg

Comment

see the sticky thread at top of page named - thinking of using Veg Oil....
            Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Them chips dont half block up your fuel filter

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                Them chips dont half block up your fuel filter

Comment

Originally posted by the careful driver
                  http://www.elsbett.de/engl/

Click the Vegetable Oil option on the bottom left hand side.

Their preferred oil seems to be rapeseed.

The criterea seem to be the degree of unsaturation of the carbon chain (the more carbon double-bonds the worse it is, eg raw linseed oil. This will gum the engine fastest.)

I think this is indicated by an Iodine test.

Some, especially unheated oils don't appear to burn fully and so do gum the engine.

Peterg

Thanks for the message my friend, but I don't speak swaheli. Whats that mean in English?

Comment

Thanks for the message my friend, but I don't speak swaheli. Whats that mean in English?
                    The more double bonds in the molecule(i.e. the more unsaturated it is), the more sites there are for the molecules to polymerise (form a polymer). Oil-based polymers tend to be sticky.
                    Translation - a more "unsaturated" oil is more likely to form a sticky gum, because the individual molecules have the option to form bonds between each other, rather than just burning, which is what the saturated oils (no double bonds) tend to do.

The iodine test is a crude method to check the level of unsaturation - iodine in aqueous solution (sorry, dissolved in water ) is reddish/purple.
                    If there are available double bonds in the oil, when you shake up a sample of the oil with a volume of the iodine solution, when the water and oil separates, the colour will have disappeared, because the iodine will react with the double bonds on the oil molecule.

OK?
                    Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
                      The more double bonds in the molecule(i.e. the more unsaturated it is), the more sites there are for the molecules to polymerise (form a polymer). Oil-based polymers tend to be sticky.
                      Translation - a more "unsaturated" oil is more likely to form a sticky gum, because the individual molecules have the option to form bonds between each other, rather than just burning, which is what the saturated oils (no double bonds) tend to do.

The iodine test is a crude method to check the level of unsaturation - iodine in aqueous solution (sorry, dissolved in water ) is reddish/purple.
                      If there are available double bonds in the oil, when you shake up a sample of the oil with a volume of the iodine solution, when the water and oil separates, the colour will have disappeared, because the iodine will react with the double bonds on the oil molecule.

OK?

So which oil would you recommend, that doesn't gum up and just burns?

Comment

So which oil would you recommend, that doesn't gum up and just burns?
                        Hi,
                        how about some feedback guys on the prog:

see http://www.bbc.co.uk/workinglunch

then go to video of today's programme, 20 minutes into it is the piece about Vegetable Fuels in Vehicles, come on "ave a butcher's at it " ?????

peter

Comment

Working...
                        X