Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Air Con

Hi..

am going to set about removing the air con from the truck this weekend.. Can anyone give me some idea as to whats involved (pics etc) Would also like to take relevant parts out from behind the dash

How big a job is it? - have had the dash out before so know how to do that, just don't know which bits are air con andf which aren't??

Finally: i know they have gas in them - Is there any danger here i can imagine it'd have to be done in a well ventilated area (outside) but is there anything else

cheers

Joe

PS - if anyone wants it or any part of it give us a shout - if no-one wants it it'll go on eBay starting at 1p!

(We really need a spill chequer on here!)
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

it s illegal to vent the gas into the air! it must be extracted by an aircon engineer type person. some fridge repair types will do it...
    luckily mine was missing an o ring so all the gas had escaped allready....
    i've been trying to find out what can be removed behind the dash myself..
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I think you'll find (apart from the wireing) the only part of the Air con behind the dash is the evaporator. Which is housed inside the box next to the fan (just up from the passengers feet, behind the glove box). You do need to keep the plastic housing cause the fan blows through this before it reaches the vents.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

of course I won't vent it into the air!! Its not my fault one of the pipes has come loose and let all the gas out on my way home from work!

Did you manage to find out what can/can't be removed?

Comment

I was thinking of removing my Air Con, but just taking the pump and the bottom radiator off. The only reason for this is so I would have better access underneath because you can't get at anything otherwise, and my Air Con does'nt work anyway!! So I would be interested in finding out how to remove the Air Con too!
          I like Orientals

Comment

Joe

The aircon pump is easy enough to remove. Just need to slacken the aircon fan belt and take it off. 4 bolts need undoing to take the pump off, plus of course the pipes from the top (after all of the gas has mysteriously leaked out of course). Then I think that the only other thing is to uncouple the wire that activates the magnetic clutch.

You gonna sell the bits that you take off?
            Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Just pulled mine out to fix evaporator and replace the vent seals. You will need to have gas removed (legally) and then undo the two pipe connections on firewall.Remove the small drain pipe and push the rubber grommets through firewall.Blower housing and air con evaporator housing is best removed as one unit.Remove the glove box, and any wiring connectors you can get at beforehand. The rest is just undoing a few mounting bolts which are easy enough to see and manouvering the assembley out from firewall and heater matrix housing.You will find that all the seals are probably rotten and will turn to dust once touched.

This is the Evaporator removed -

Neville
              Last edited by NiftyNev; 8 October 2005, 10:19.

Comment

Can Anyone continue this, I want to remove the bottom radiator. Last Summer I removed the 4 bolts that hold the rad in place, so I could get my hand in to undo the coolant tap on the coolant radiator to flush the system, but this only give me about 1/2 inch of play and it was as tight as a submarine door to get my hand in!
                Anyway the bottom Air Con Rad.......
                After undoing the bolts the rad doesn't move very much, so how do you get to the hose's to drop the rad?
                I like Orientals

Comment

Maybe the pipes are holding it. undo the pipes going to the rad from above, then it should drop down. Then you'll need to unplug the electrical connectors that go to the fans. It should be low enough then to remove the pipes or you may be able to withdraw the rad from under the truck with them still attatched. I can't remember without looking at my truck, it's been a while since I removed mine.

p.s. Can I assume that you've already removed the bashplate?

Comment

the pipes for the aircon are easily reachable with the bash plate off, solid ali things held on with a nut. undo these and pull to one side and it should drop down giving you room to unclip the electrical connector.
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

The air con rad is a sod to move it the pipes are still connected... When i took mine off i started at the compressor and worked my way down... once you've taken the bash plate off there is supposed to be 4 bolts holding the rad on (i had 2 bolts and 2 cable ties - its amazing the things they get used for!!) its also pushed onth two pins that go thrugh rubber grommets.. thats the bet way i can describe it.. You'll pribably have to wiggle the rad about a bit and pull down quite hard to get it free

Comment

There is a series of pics of the evaporator unit I took if anyone is interested.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...npictorial.htm

Nev

Comment

there is 2 plastic flaps down either side of the air con rad, these hook round the pipes and hold it up a treat, fold em up out the way and it should drop down well out the way..
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I took my aircon out today this is what a 1st gen looks like without aircon,it was dead easy.
                            Last edited by sumo; 17 August 2007, 08:28.
                            If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Why do you want to remove it? It'll be handy in the summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X