SATA - Can anyone help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA - Can anyone help

Just purchased a HP ML150 Proliant with 1 XEON Processor and two 160GB SATA Drives.

After configuring them through the Boot process [ie Ctrl +A] to work as RAID 1 it was found that the controller is the Adaptec AIC-8130 and I cant find any drivers or info from Adaptec site to get it to be seen as part of the Manufacturers Installation through the boot/installation process for installation of Server 2003 like you normally would achieve with other SCSI / SATA controllers.

I have also read many people using other Op Systems are having issues.

Anyone come across this product and offer advice.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 27 September 2005, 23:22.
    Gaz

Hi mate is it an onboard controller or seperate?
    Otherwise the motherboard supplier should have a driver for it as I had when I installed my SATA.

Originally posted by Gizmo
    Just purchased a HP ML150 Proliant with 1 XEON Processor and two 160GB SATA Drives.

After configuring them through the Boot process [ie Ctrl +A] to work as RAID 1 it was found that the controller is the Adaptec AIC-8130 and I cant find any drivers or info from Adaptec site to get it to be seen as part of the Manufacturers Installation through the boot/installation process for installation of Server 2003 like you normally would achieve with other SCSI / SATA controllers.

I have also read many people using other Op Systems are having issues.

Anyone come across this product and offer advice.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      Hi mate is it an onboard controller or seperate?
      Otherwise the motherboard supplier should have a driver for it as I had when I installed my SATA.

Separate 4 Channel SATA Controller. Trouble is cant find the model on Adaptecs site or HP/Compaq. Been searching on numerous drivers sites to see if they have any.

This is the first time I have really been stumped. Used to work as a Network Admin/ NT Consultant. Just getting my head round 2003 and Active Directory
      Gaz

Comment

www.driverguide.com ?
        Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

AIC-8130 sounds like the chip on the controller, rather than the model of it.

Did you go for the 4 or the 6 port SATA controller?

Also - did the server not come with a Smart Start CD?

Comment

Duck

Originally posted by jmc
            AIC-8130 sounds like the chip on the controller, rather than the model of it.

Did you go for the 4 or the 6 port SATA controller?

Also - did the server not come with a Smart Start CD?
            whee......over my head.....sorry thought you said santa!

Did I mention I have a BLUE one
            Tony

Comment

What's a SATA. is it something to do with the EGR?

Comment

The controller card manufacturer must have a driver for this card... Win2000 driver should work as a stop gap... Win2K3 should show the option to optional boot from another device... (does it still need F8 on boot, to allow you to add the driver? or is it F6 - can't remember) you'll need a driver on a floppy... same as before.

It is definitely a SATA controller... not a PATA controller that will accept SATA drivers...?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;896065

Need to know the controller manufacturer to investigate further...?
                Its not Highpoint is it?

Comment

Thanks for all your info guys. Managed to contact Compaq today and was pointed to a link for the download using their standard sata driver.

Think I will go back to the SCSI drives in future. After installing this now having a problem with DNS and WINS installation timing out on the Management and Control Tools section of the Windows Install.

To answer your questions:

4 Channel Controller from Adaptec
                  Model AIC-8310 is the correct model
                  Tried Driverguide, Winddrivers et al and it doesn't appear
                  F6 is the option to install manufacturers drivers prior to the install of Windows, other Function keys [F8,F10, Esc] on Compaq Models are Network Boot, BIOS Setup and Diagnostics & Boot Summary
                  Gaz

Comment

Possibly just found the resolution at this site

Lists all Event IDs

http://www.evtcatalog.com/evtbkstart...FG-16&usrcat=1
                    Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      What's a SATA. is it something to do with the EGR?
                      Quick overview

SATA Technology

Technical Overview

Parallel ATA is the primary internal storage interconnect for the desktop, connecting the host system to peripherals such as hard drives, optical drives, and removable magnetic media devices. Parallel ATA is an extension of the original parallel ATA interface introduced in the mid 1980’s and maintains backward compatibility with all previous versions of this technology. The latest revision of the Parallel ATA specification accepted by the ANSI supported INCITS T13 committee, the governing body for ATA specifications, is ATA/ATAPI-6, which supports up to 100Mbyte/sec data transfers. Development of the ATA/ATAPI-7 specification, an update of the parallel bus architecture that provides up to 133Mbytes/sec, was recently finalized.

Serial ATA is the next -generation internal storage interconnect, designed to replace parallel ATA technology. Serial ATA is the proactive evolution of the ATA interface from a parallel bus to a serial bus architecture. This architecture overcomes the electrical constraints that are increasing the difficulty of continued speed enhancements for the classic parallel ATA bus. Serial ATA will be introduced at 150Mbytes/sec, with a roadmap already planned to 600Mbytes/sec, supporting up to 10 years of storage evolution based on historical trends. Though Serial ATA will not be able to directly interface with legacy Ultra ATA hardware, it is fully compliant with the ATA protocol and thus is software compatible.
                      Gaz

Comment

Oh!

Comment

GAZ DELL use a software programme to enable RAID Rather than BIOS .
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Eh ??

What was all that about. I didnt even recognise the language used.

Bogus
                            Сви можемо

Comment

i didnt even know they kept racing pigeons...
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X