Locking Wheel Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Wheel Nuts

Ordered some locking wheel nuts from Toyota. Cost me just over £30 quid Inclusive. Not a bad price I thought considering Halfrauds are selling their own for a similar sort of price.

What type of key/socket is used, can you post a picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge
      carefull he might come and nick your wheels
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

The socket is like three holes in the wheel nut in a triangle type formation. The only way I can describe it is if you got a small ball bearing and pushed it half way into the metal, thats the impression it makes.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
          The socket is like three holes in the wheel nut in a triangle type formation. The only way I can describe it is if you got a small ball bearing and pushed it half way into the metal, thats the impression it makes.
          If they are the same design as these, I would exercise caution in their use.

This design requires the torque to fasten/undo the nut to be applied thru 3 very small contact areas, rather than the 6 larger sides normally used for a nut of this size. If the nuts are tight it is very easy for the removal socket to "cam out" of the 3 holes. Just a few occurrences of this can damage the holes similar to rounding off a nut, making it virtually impossible to remove. I've known a number of people over the years who had to have this design locknut drilled out as the socket could no longer grip it sufficiently to remove it.
          I also had trouble with one myself a few years back and it took a complex combination of pullers and spacers to hold the socket on tightly enough to prevent it from camming out and remove the nut, and took about an hour.
          Definitely not a recommended/strong design
          Maurice
          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr

This design requires the torque to fasten/undo the nut to be applied thru 3 very small contact areas, rather than the 6 larger sides normally used for a nut of this size. If the nuts are tight it is very easy for the removal socket to "cam out" of the 3 holes. Just a few occurrences of this can damage the holes similar to rounding off a nut, making it virtually impossible to remove. I've known a number of people over the years who had to have this design locknut drilled out as the socket could no longer grip it sufficiently to remove it.
            I also had trouble with one myself a few years back and it took a complex combination of pullers and spacers to hold the socket on tightly enough to prevent it from camming out and remove the nut, and took about an hour.
            they look the same as whats on the wifes celica
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

yeah, i wouldn't go for that sort... ford used to use them...

i'd go for the ones form 4x4accessories and tyres... they have a "shaped" nut and key... think they're £20
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                carefull he might come and nick your wheels

I was wondering to their quality.

I had a set with the three studs as above, broke the key easily then had to smack a socket onto each locker to remove it.

There are some other designs, one I had was an internal castled shape hard to describe, but the key looked like a socket with gear like teeth around the outside, very tight fit and no chance of it slipping.

I want a set from somewhere, but it must be secure and have a strong key.

Comment

Originally posted by Morr

Yeah, that's the type they are. Trouble is I've ordered the dam things now. My old man has them on his new Discovery, removed the wheel no problems. I suppose I could always do the nuts up fairly tight on the other 5 and on the locking wheel nut just nip it up tight enough so that it wont loosen??

Comment

Yeah, that's the type they are. Trouble is I've ordered the dam things now. My old man has them on his new Discovery, removed the wheel no problems. I suppose I could always do the nuts up fairly tight on the other 5 and on the locking wheel nut just nip it up tight enough so that it wont loosen??
                    Make sure the key is square and apply pressure towards the wheel when undoing to prevent it slipping off and sheering a pin.

You have a 7 day statutory right to change your mind, I'd return them taking the hit on the postage and buy some better quality.

Comment

Make sure the key is square and apply pressure towards the wheel when undoing to prevent it slipping off and sheering a pin.

You have a 7 day statutory right to change your mind, I'd return them taking the hit on the postage and buy some better quality.

Have you got any links to some better ones?? Cheers

Comment

Have you got any links to some better ones?? Cheers
                        4x4accessoriesandtyres.com
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thought of using locking nuts on the wheels when I first got them from 4x4accessories........but decided against it with off-roading. Never know if they will come off after all the hitting, mud
                          Gaz

Comment

i'll take a pic of mine from 4x4a&t... they've got a bit of a cra p website so it doesn't show them.
                            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                              i'll take a pic of mine from 4x4a&t... they've got a bit of a cra p website so it doesn't show them.

Yeah, just noticed they don't show them. Cheers dude

Comment

Working...
                              X