Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen tow bar

Hello everyone,
    I've had a pct towbar fitted to my 3rd gen surf but the tow ball seems really close to the door mounted spare wheel,I was wondering if a drop plate needs to be fitted as I intend to use the surf to tow a caravan and I don't think an alko would clear the spare wheel,any advice would be welcome
    thanks

Originally posted by Valleys boy
    Hello everyone,
    I've had a pct towbar fitted to my 3rd gen surf but the tow ball seems really close to the door mounted spare wheel,I was wondering if a drop plate needs to be fitted as I intend to use the surf to tow a caravan and I don't think an alko would clear the spare wheel,any advice would be welcome
    thanks
    They can be pretty close sometimes, you can fit a drop plate but you dont want to be running at the wrong height. When I have an ALKO on the back I have to take my spare wheel off but mines a 2nd gen so you might get away with it.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Hitched up caravan without alko and it was nearly touching spare wheel cover about inch clearence so i doubt an alko will clear it.I don't want to go taking the spare off when towing it will be a right pain in the ***e
      cheers anyway

Comment

You could fit a spacer between the bar and the towball.

http://www.trailerpartswarehouse.co....l_spacers.html

Comment

I got a 3rd gen and tow a Bailey Ranger with an Alko. It does fit, bit of a pain though, to hitch up you need to open the spare wheel carrier, be carefull when backing on if you are coming in from the off side at anything more than a slight angle the wheel carrier might hit the van, come back straight or from the nearside and its fine. Once all hitched up shut the wheel carrier and your laughing. The handbrake may hit the spare when reversing very tight, I was thinking of putting a 2" spacer on the towball to help with this, but it isn't a huge problem. I wouldn't use a drop plate, it would make the caravan tow at a very nosedown angle, the standard height is just right. Not teaching you to suck eggs but you do know you need the Alko towball which sticks out further and up further than normal to clear the coupling housing.
          Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

You can easily get upto 1 1/2" spacers, that will leave you towball at the right height, but give you clearance to the back of the truck. I've seen proper 6"ish spacer brackets that bolt to the towbar, than the ball bolts to them for cars that have rear mounted spares, but can't find a supplier on line.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

my tow bar looks the same as the one on roughtrax site.I'll take look for a spacer see if that cures the problem i'd be lost without you lot

Comment

yeah smallish ones are easy to get and will be fine, we have one on the landcruiser to enable a bike rack block inbetween. Just make sure you get the correct bolts too.
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Do you mean something like this.

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=111&p=0&d=40

Comment

Originally posted by bell end billy
                    Do you mean something like this.

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=111&p=0&d=40

NO those are drop plates, look at the link on my other posting. or here http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...towball+spacer

Comment

By fitting a spacer would it put more strain on the tow bar as the tow ball is out further from the tow bar itself.
                      Just a thought.
                      I think I've seen these in a local accessory shop I'll pop in on the week end and try one

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                        When I have an ALKO on the back I have to take my spare wheel off .
                        i had an alky in the back once...
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

How high should the towball be from the floor mine is 20>21 inches to the top of the tow ball it seems high compared to others i've seen

Comment

Working...
                          X