help - oil filter poss problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help - oil filter poss problem

Engine oil low the other day, so filled it, went to correct level.
    Then next day too high.

So tonight when i got home from work in other car, thought i would remove filter to get rid of a bit of oil. Engine cold and not run for 24 hours.
    But filter empty and looked very very clean inside.

would this be normal? would oil all drain out overnight and leave it looking shiny and clean inside?
    or has oil not been circulating through filter for last 3000 miles.....?
    is that a possible? hope not as terrrible for engine...

i put a new filter on, with a bit of clean oil and that filled up after i ran engine for a minute
    tried original, that filled up a bit this time, but hiss of air when i removed it.

hope this is a panic over nothing..
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Maybe the breather pipe that comes out of the rocker cover is blocked and not allowing the engine to 'vent' its self.

Comment

breather tube fine - checked it again.

think my panic is over. the filter was full of oil before dinner when i cranked engine, an hour later it had all drained away when i removed filter, the inside mesh looked as clean as it did earlier.
      so it must just all drain away after a while,
      ive never removed a filter on cold engine before, as have always warmed up engine for an oil change.

andy
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
        breather tube fine - checked it again.

think my panic is over. the filter was full of oil before dinner when i cranked engine, an hour later it had all drained away when i removed filter, the inside mesh looked as clean as it did earlier.
        so it must just all drain away after a while,
        ive never removed a filter on cold engine before, as have always warmed up engine for an oil change.

andy
        I supose it might drain as the filter is laid on its side? must admit though Ive never given it much thought.
        If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
          Engine oil low the other day, so filled it, went to correct level.
          Then next day too high.

So tonight when i got home from work in other car, thought i would remove filter to get rid of a bit of oil. Engine cold and not run for 24 hours.
          But filter empty and looked very very clean inside.

would this be normal? would oil all drain out overnight and leave it looking shiny and clean inside?
          or has oil not been circulating through filter for last 3000 miles.....?
          is that a possible? hope not as terrrible for engine...

i put a new filter on, with a bit of clean oil and that filled up after i ran engine for a minute
          tried original, that filled up a bit this time, but hiss of air when i removed it.

hope this is a panic over nothing..

I was told by the parts manager at Toyota that the oil filter has a one way valve fitted inside it. Check to see if yours has one fitted?? The oil will just drain away otherwise.

Comment

Working...
          X