Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiLux Differences?

Hello all.

Bit of a noob to this thing- done a bit of a search and cant find any other info on this one. Thought I'd post on this forum as it seems highly regarded everywhere...

Here's the question...

I am currently looking to get a Hilux, but rather than the Surf, I've been looking at the pick-up- it's better for my needs but I'm not a "comercial" user- it's gonna have to do a fair amount of off-roading and carrying of big things round quarries in Bristol, namely gennies and assorted gear.

What are the main differences mechanically between, say, a 2.4 D and the surf models? Obviously, there's something of a weight difference, but would I be better off looking at spending a little more (currently been veiwing pick ups in the region of £2-2.5k)

Any takers here?

Many thanks, for pointers, or indeed forums for pickup users that you might point me too.

at the price range your looking at the pickup will probably be the solid front axel design. good and strong, better off road but a bit rougher on it! good tough truck, "top gear tested!" buy the best you can, slap on a decent set of 31" tyres and enjoy the truck. not sure if the 2.4td sufers the same head probs as SOME surfs maybe some others here maybe able to shed some light on this. thought about a double cab? few may be in your price range by now, come with a lovely 2.8d! good comprimise between seating and load carrying space.
    Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Very basicly, a Surf is an estate style body on a 98-on IFS pickup frame, but with rear coils instead of leaf springs.

Surfs have more comfort and better handling vs a pickup, but pre 98 pickups have more offroad capable solid axles and leaf springs, and heavier load carrying.

If you can get a 2.4 Surf with a decent head, it'll probably be cheaper than a same year pickup thats in good nick.

As stated, later import pickups have a 2.8 motor, which is to the 2.4 engined UK pickups, what the 3.0 Surfs are to the 2.4's (ie, miles better)

Look for extra cab pickups to maximise load space, but still give room in cab, or crew cabs for 4 door convieniance, but smaller pickup bed, no longer than in the back of the Surf, but you can fold the seat down in a Surf, to give a similar load space to a long bed pickup (short cab)

The 2.4 UK pickups don't seem to have the amount of head problems that the Surfs have, probably due to being de-tuned a little, where as the Surf wrings as much power as possible from the poor little 2.4 motor.

Biggest complaint about the UK deisel pickups is lack of power, they are fine offroad, but have no guts at motorway speeds, expecially if you go bigger than 31" tyres.

If you want a pickup, I'd look for a 2.8 soild axle import, Surf options are a 2.4 if its cheap enough, or a 93-on 3.0 is you can afford it.

Best bet of to test drive one of each, then you know where you stand.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers for taking the time to reply there!

I'll be having a test of both I thinks... see whats working for me on both models.

Might even carry on and look at a Surf... the girl is moaning at me about the pickup thing anyhoos...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          .............which is to the 2.4 engined UK pickups, what the 3.0 Surfs are to the 2.4's (ie, miles better)

Oi!

Cant diss the 2.4! How many times has mine overheated and NOT done the head in? Bloomin' cheek!

I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

my heads good too
            WELL the one on my 2.4 is anyway, i'm with danno on this one.
            Enjoying Life after Cancer
            Pops

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
              Oi!

Cant diss the 2.4! How many times has mine overheated and NOT done the head in? Bloomin' cheek!

Its about the only thing you havn't done it on it!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
                Oi!

Minor act of God surely?
                Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

No No my friends, just goes to show all the 2.4 doubters that they are venerable beasts, that can definatley hold their own against the 3.0!

<whispers> Except when you rag 7 bells of sh!te out of 'em when stuck up to the axles in mud, or neglect to clean out the rear drums of wiltshires finest, or the wheel bearings disintegrate or the rad is full of cr@p. Er shall I continue?

Must be said tho. I still got an intact HEAD!!!!!!!
                  I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Working...
                  X